Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2011, 04:42 PM

392 posts, read 1,552,518 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering if anyone has noticed this in their part of Florida.

Here in Jacksonville, during the past few weeks, it seems that a lot of trees have been dying suddenly. It's not an epidemic, but it's noticeable to me since I like trees.

It's most noticeable along I-95 since those trees don't get removed very quickly.

The pines seem to be affected the most, but I've noticed a fair number of broadleaf trees dying as well.

Most of the trees dying look like they were healthy, with thick amounts of pine needles and lots of new growth. The weather this year has been hot and dry, without many of the daily afternoon thunderstorms we normally get.

I'm sure that stresses the trees but I wonder if there is some kind of pest that is going around.

Now, my neighbors pine tree died suddenly in just the last few days. I have lots of trees on my property so it has me a little worried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 05:43 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,863 times
Here in Tampa I haven't noticed any issues with broadleaves or pines, but some of the native sabal palms are dying.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:09 AM

357 posts, read 799,632 times
Could be some bugs (like the beetles that eat pine trees) swarming due any number of reasons?

Old 09-15-2011, 10:23 PM

380 posts, read 961,559 times
Florida Palm Trees Dying From Bug - Jacksonville News Story - WJXT Jacksonville

Old 09-16-2011, 09:03 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,070 times
White Flys are everywhere. Had them at my home. You have to have someone come and disinfect the trees every three months or so to save them. They are all over University of Miami and many of the large bushes and trees in the parking lot have them. You can see the white flys flying around and they leave this residue on all the cars. They are easy to spot since they are exactly their name very bright little white flys. (color white)

Not sure if this is the case for you. I would suggest taking a look and trying to see what it is. If you can figure out you may want to get a "tree doctor" over to your place and see if they can find out the problem so they can fix it. It can be expensive but new trees are more expensive.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:14 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,627,203 times
I hope we don't have some kind of imported bug that will do in the rest of the trees, like what happened with the American elms and I think there is one chewing away at the Southern white pines.....? I am posting before researching but I do know about the elms...and there is something about a bug here in the south.....

Old 09-17-2011, 08:35 PM

495 posts, read 2,328,506 times
Lots of pines get killed by lightning. They are usually solitary kills, often the bigger taller trees. Most hardwood trees, like live oaks dont get killed by lightning, although some will lose major limbs to lightning strikes..

If pines are dying in groups, it is most likely bark beetles killing them. The beetles are usually more lethal against pines in droughts like we have been having as the pines cant produce the sticky sap that protects them against the beetles.

I have seen water oaks and sweet gums die from severe droughts before but that is rare.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,735 times
I had 3 oaks ,8 azaleas ,and a pecan tree treated for around 500.00 dollars last year .The azaleas are all dead ,pecan tree is almost dead and my oaks are slowly dying .I was told it was an aphid and that several application where needed..so I had it done ,didn't work.Over the Holidays I traveled around area here in Bay county ,and I need to tell you something is seriously wrong...It starts with browning of leaves then limbs start falling ,they seem to be very airlight in weight no matter how large it seem s that they are dying from inside out ,with only these few signs by then their dead or almost ...Please tell me whats going on...its not an aphid

Old 01-11-2016, 08:06 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,071,773 times
Pine trees are susceptible to the pine borer beetle. First indication is the needles turn yellow. The only chemical that could kill the bug is lindane but it has been banned by the EPA. The tree will be dead within 6 months as branches start falling off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida