Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 08:47 PM

2 posts, read 2,382 times

Advertisements

Hello! I plan (hopefully) to move to Florida in December 2011. I have never been there but I think it is where I want to be. I plan to attend Culinary School within a year or so of moving there. I do not necessarily need to live close to the school, I am willing to commute. I am a young female and would love some advice on where I should move to. I would prefer to live not to close to the water for safety reason (hurricanes) but if I come across a good deal then so be it! I hope to read some good post! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 03:46 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times
I'd find out where the culinary school is then start looking there. as its pointless to get all set up in say Tallahassee only to discover the school is 500 miles away in Miami..
Hurricanes? they are usually many hundreds of miles wide so moving inland may avoid the storm surge but the winds and rain can still be a major problem..

Old 09-04-2011, 06:21 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,055,138 times
Check out Johnson and Wales University. It's one of the best Culinary schools in the country and unlike other schools like the Art or Technical Institutes, credits are transferable should you want to pursue a different degree or advance. The campus is in North Miami and they have secure on-campus housing with a meal plan.

College Of Culinary Arts
http://www.jwu.edu/uploadedFiles/Doc...g_brochure.pdf

Old 09-04-2011, 08:11 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,878,826 times
If you aren't talking Johnson & Wales level of education, you're probably better off looking for a community college that offers a culinary arts program. End of the program, you're looking at relatively low pay for the first couple of years out of school, regardless of what any shiny brochures say, and the community college route is probably going to leave you with less debt, even at out of state tuition rates, and those kinds of programs generally have good internship agreements with local businesses for post-graduation jobs.

As for hurricanes and coastal areas, the entire state is hurricane bait whether you're on the coast or not (Charley caused a lot of damage in Orlando). Once every 10-20 years you get a bad one, but most of the time, tropical weather is very manageable. I'm smack in the middle of TS Lee rainbands right now, and since we've got an AWD car, it's really no big deal. The coastal areas are also where the good jobs are going to be in your field, since the only high population/touristy part of inland Florida is greater Orlando.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:03 AM

378 posts, read 831,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyceebee12 View Post
Hello! I plan (hopefully) to move to Florida in December 2011. I have never been there but I think it is where I want to be. I plan to attend Culinary School within a year or so of moving there. I do not necessarily need to live close to the school, I am willing to commute. I am a young female and would love some advice on where I should move to. I would prefer to live not to close to the water for safety reason (hurricanes) but if I come across a good deal then so be it! I hope to read some good post! Thanks.
Moving to Florida but never been here? Keep enough money aside to get back home.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:21 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,165,604 times
That's solid advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbroker View Post
Moving to Florida but never been here? Keep enough money aside to get back home.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:17 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,784,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbroker View Post
Actually good advice, and... Why, why, why... Don't people come here FIRST to see what it is like? Make sure if you will or will not like it. This is how we end up with so many malcontents.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyceebee12 View Post
Hello! I plan (hopefully) to move to Florida in December 2011. I have never been there but I think it is where I want to be.
You are going to relocate to an area you've never been to and know nothing about?

Let me guess; you hate winters and envision endless days relaxing on beaches surrounded by palm trees.
When you get to the beach let us know how you like it.
.https://pics4.city-data.com/cpicv/vfiles27107.jpg

Whats the plan-B if you dont like it in Florida?

Old 09-05-2011, 01:04 PM

801 posts, read 1,516,119 times
Miami and Orlando are the only areas of Florida with traffic like that. If you don't like that, then go to another area of Florida. Florida has a lot of different lifestyles. Don't HATE the entire state just because of one area.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
Miami and Orlando are the only areas of Florida with traffic like that. If you don't like that, then go to another area of Florida. Florida has a lot of different lifestyles. Don't HATE the entire state just because of one area.
I think that pic was taken down around Naples''
You also might want to add the Tampa St Pete area to the areas with traffic like that..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida