Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 04:32 PM

727 posts, read 1,836,875 times

Advertisements

Anyone feel like they should no longer watch the news due to the crime in FL?

Case in point... 1. In Lake Co (which seems like it never used to be on the news) an attempted child abduction. Another one? And Lake Co isnt even that big, but it seems like it is on the news more and more now.

2. and close to my house... a hit and run leaving a boy seriously injured. I just cant see how someone could do these things.

3. And then just now, I was watching one of those "Caught on Tape" shows and it ws showing violent robberies... one sales clerk shot for no reason in a gas station (Sarasota), another clerk hit over the head with a baseball bat (Ormond Bch), and then at a jewelery store (West Palm Bch), a man walked in and shot the owner after trying to steal some jewelery, but the owner had a gun too. The thief didnt even take anything, and on his last attempt to kill the owner, he ran outta bullets so he fled the store, but he places the gun to the store owners' head and pulled the trigger. Thank God the criminal ran out of bullets. And while watching the show, I noticed one thing... ALL THREE of these incidents happened in FL. I had to change the channel because I only had the tv on for 5 minutes watching this show, and EVERY incident was in FL. So I changed the channel.

Do some of you just not watch the news on purpose?

PS- Dont peg me as a FL hater. I was born and raised in FL, and I still like it. I just get sooooo tired of seeing these incidents on the news. I dont think FL is one of the safer states to live in. I think too many criminals have made a home here, and I just think that FL is really losing it's appeal. I am sad to see what FL is now. To me, it's a place where everyone is now from somewhere else, the people have gotten more and more rude, the traffic and congestion is getting worse, the road rage and poor driving habits are one of the worst in the country, cost of living is too high and pay is too low. This is just my opinion though, and like I said I am a concerned and disappointed Floridian, not a "hater." I have a daughter and family to think about. I think my family that is still here (especially in S FL) could move elsewhere in the Southeast and be happier, enjoy a slower pace of life, less crime, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 06:46 PM

558 posts, read 1,835,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornInFL View Post
Anyone feel like they should no longer watch the news due to the crime in FL?
Sometimes, but I have to stay informed so I know what is going on in the area. It is just crazy all these stories that happen in Central Florida on an every day basis.
I wish the people looking to move here could watch the local news every night like we do. It's crime after crime after crime after crime.

We even had a murder here in Lakeland on Christmas . Man Shot and Killed On The Dance Floor | theledger.com | The Ledger | Lakeland, FL

I believe some of the crime goes unreported so as not to scare off the tourists.

Last edited by Lakeland Yankee; 12-29-2008 at 07:23 PM..

Old 12-29-2008, 07:05 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times
It's sad, but the good news just doesn't sell.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:12 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,643 times
I only really watched the news for the weather. Its sad but FL news Hypes the crime BIG TIME, I guess they figure it's the only way they'll get ratings and scare everyone to stay inside their house. The media is to blame for society's downfall as well.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:16 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Sorry to burst your bubble but bad news is the only news shown anywhere...

I don't even turn on the news anymore, I watch something a little more cheerful, The Simpsons and King of the Hill...

Old 12-29-2008, 07:16 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
I think it is great that the Florida news media reports the crime that is occuring without the filters so typical of many news stations. The crime in Florida is real and should be reported so that the citizens can prepare themselves accordingly. The crime that is reported is not "hype" as some would say, it is reality.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:18 PM

4 posts, read 19,387 times
When I was married briefly (back in the early 90's), my husband and I lived in Las Vegas. We'd watch the 4 o'clock local news, the 5 o'clock local news, the 6 o'clock national news and then some crap show like Inside Edition. We were INUNDATED with bad news (redundant terms, as TampaKaren pointed out). It affected our moods and our relationship. We finally called a moratorium on all news/quasi-news shows except for one half hour of local news and one half hour of national news per night. After that, it was either Marty Stouffer's Wild America or we turned off the TV. It didn't save our marriage, but at least we didn't end up being the news

Old 12-29-2008, 11:34 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
If it takes moving to North Carolina to turn off your tv, do it. Good luck moving somewhere else in the Southeast for less crime, as Florida is among the best of the worst.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:17 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Florida is among the best of the worst.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:15 PM

72 posts, read 161,170 times
The best of the worst? What do you mean "Compelled?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida