Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,825 times

Advertisements

I'm currently finishing up my master's degree in accounting. I'm young and going to be out of college by March 2012. Only work experience i have is customer service. I currently live with my parents in NY but I would love to move to Florida. How are the jobs in Florida for a student with a masters degree in accounting? I know how to budget my money and only buy what i need. Is a move possible? How can i go about making this dream come true? Plz help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 05:26 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,965,807 times
where? Fla is a big state.. Whats your budget?

Old 11-14-2011, 01:50 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ask14 View Post
How can i go about making this dream come true? Plz help.
Paint this dream for us and maybe we can tell you where the nightmare will begin
I'd stay where you are familiar and send out cv's (including Florida)then go to wherever you get a job.
Jobs are tough to come by in Florida these days as it seems most of the USA citizens have come down with an aversion to winter and they are all moving to Florida to escape.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:57 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,626,433 times
You will regret coming down here. The job market is a mess. Regular locals are barely getting by. If you want a good chance at finding a job, go to Texas. I just moved from there and coming to FL was the worst mistake job and weather-wise.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:35 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,199,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
You will regret coming down here. The job market is a mess. Regular locals are barely getting by. If you want a good chance at finding a job, go to Texas. I just moved from there and coming to FL was the worst mistake job and weather-wise.
Allen - I'm no fan of the Florida weather either for most of the year, but isn't the weather in Texas pretty bad as well ?

Old 11-14-2011, 01:00 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,626,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Allen - I'm no fan of the Florida weather either for most of the year, but isn't the weather in Texas pretty bad as well ?
Not really. I moved from San Antonio where it is mild winters (with rare frost some winters) and hot dry summers. It gets very windy as well. The weather is extremely tolerable compared to FL.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:09 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,142,671 times
First, I'd spend a few years in accounting there for the experience. Then I would want to figure out why you want to be in Florida as opposed to somewhere else. Next thing on the list would be to save a lot of money while you are working and getting experience in your field of expertise. At one time $10,000.00 was a good number to come to Florida with, for a couple, no kids. These days I wouldnt want to relocate any where without $25, 30k in hand and NO DEBT. That way you can live a while on your savings as it could take a while to find work as the economy here, as is everywhere, in the toilet and jobs in a lot of fields aren't there right now. You may also want to think big city once you have gained your experience in accounting. Miami, Jacksonville, Tallahassee come to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask14 View Post
I'm currently finishing up my master's degree in accounting. I'm young and going to be out of college by March 2012. Only work experience i have is customer service. I currently live with my parents in NY but I would love to move to Florida. How are the jobs in Florida for a student with a masters degree in accounting? I know how to budget my money and only buy what i need. Is a move possible? How can i go about making this dream come true? Plz help.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:58 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times
Look for work in Miami/Ft Lauderdale area, Orlando, Jacksonville and possibly Tallahassee(state capital). Get a job before you move. Most number of opportunities are in Miami/Ft Lauderdale area...which as a region is called South Florida. Palm Beach and many suburbs are included. Might as well get in at the ground floor at a major corporation, then work your way up or change jobs once experienced. also check federal gov jobs and possibly you can find one in FL. They pay more and start you at a higher level with a 4 year degree and even higher with a Masters. You can really work your way up there and get a long term career. If I was in your shoes, this would be my target. You can even start in another state and make an internal transfer to get to FL.

Don't listen to all the doom and gloom. You have 2 things going for you...1) Masters degree 2) just starting out and willing to take entry level job. S FL has a higher cost of living versus some of the other cities, but it has the most job opportunies as well(check which companies have HQ there).

There are many nice suburbs in S FL and you would love it. Also check out city and state govt. They usually pay low, but often require a degree for quite a few jobs. Because the pay is so low, they often get new college grads to fill the jobs (nobody wants to work for peanuts if they have a degree and experience.) This way you gain experience and then get another job in a few years with better pay.

Last edited by sware2cod; 11-14-2011 at 02:08 PM..

Old 11-14-2011, 11:38 PM

109 posts, read 207,838 times
I'd go the opposite way and pick your first job based on wherever the first decent opportunity is and not the location.
Then, after a few years experience, you will be much more marketable and can be more choosey in your next job in terms of location/salary/benefits.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:35 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times
The problem with working elsewhere first...you might start settling down, meet a significant other, and then moving to another state might be out of the picture(possibly significant other has a child in NY, or doesn't want to leave NY, etc).

Take the opportunity(to move to FL) while it is available and while you have the strong desire. If you know how to budget money, and are sensible, you will do fine. Life will be an adventure moving to a new state. It's fun when you are young and single. Just make sure you have a job and research rents to make sure you can afford it. The sky is the limit. Go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida