Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2007, 07:27 PM

3 posts, read 31,421 times

Advertisements

Just wanted anyone's input on good small towns located south of Venice Beach and North of West Palm (East to West Coast and in between). I posted an earlier question about Belle Glade, Clewiston, and South Bay. Looks like they are not good choices for my in-laws who are retired and on a fixed budget. We want to drive them around this weekend and I'm hoping for some great locations to take them to.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 10:55 PM

776 posts, read 1,672,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdavid View Post
Just wanted anyone's input on good small towns located south of Venice Beach and North of West Palm (East to West Coast and in between). I posted an earlier question about Belle Glade, Clewiston, and South Bay. Looks like they are not good choices for my in-laws who are retired and on a fixed budget. We want to drive them around this weekend and I'm hoping for some great locations to take them to.

Thanks!
Port Charlotte, North Port, Punta Gorda, Sebring, Lake Placid, Port St Lucie are quite affordable again due to the housing bust... Tons of vacant newer homes in need of retirees..

Old 08-28-2007, 12:22 PM

149 posts, read 701,005 times
Check out Sebastian, Vero Beach, and Satellite Beach.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:22 PM
kcm

68 posts, read 249,044 times
Try a small town called Lake Placid... it is about even with venice, maybe just a little bit north of it and right up the center of the state on highway 27. But it is quaint and only has two traffic lights through town. It moves quietly through the country from the side streets of the town and has some nice housing hiding in it's outskirts.
There are some really nice lakes around and the town is covered in murals in the center of town it is called "The town of Murals". A lot of retires live there but it is slowly growing as is the town north of it called Sebring... Sebring has the shopping and activities such as "The 12 hours of Sebring" that is a race that takes place in March and the whole town is "abuzz" at that time.
There is an Art League, if you are interested in that or activities in a lot of the retirement communities. Sebring is much larger than Lake Placid but has more activity.
The best part about both Lake Placid and Sebring is that the traffic is a lot less traffic than... lets say Fort Myers, which is only 70 miles away. As a matter of fact, Lake Placid is 92 miles (about 1 hour and 45 min.) from Universal Studios.... Or you can get up in the morning and drive to either coast in about 1 -1/2 hours.. the beach only 90 min.s away and ya don't have to put up with the traffic. You can enjoy any one of the lakes in the area too.... Lake June, Lake Placid, Lake istapoka, Lake Okeechobee, and a multitude of other smaller lakes, and the great part of that is you don't have to deal with the salt water ( it will eat up a lot of things just because the salt is in the air.)
The sunsets are fabulous and the wild birds are wonderful to watch and feed... the Egrets will almost walk up to you and eat right out of your hand (well ya got to toss it to them alittle bit). We have a blue bird that looks a lot like a Blue Jay but they are called Scrub Jays and you can feed them peanuts, they will land right on top of your head or in your hand as long as you have a peanut in it.
Before your inlaws make any choices have them take a look at "Hammock" state park in Sebring and go to Gatorama just south of Lake Placid, there is a lot to do if you want to take the time to do it all. Sebring is a little bit more active and is growing quite fast and Lake Placid is the smaller quieter "Sub" so to speak.... but they both are so centrally located you can be just about any where in a few hours.
One more great point.... We are where the coast evacuates to during the hurricanes. We are "Highlands County" the highest part of Florida. You are welcome to join us. And housing is still lower priced than the coast.

Last edited by kcm; 08-28-2007 at 01:38 PM..

Old 08-28-2007, 10:26 PM

4 posts, read 32,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdavid View Post

Thanks!
Vero Beach is an excellent place to retire. My parents retired there in the early 90's from Miami and love it. Housing is more affordable in Vero the further west you go. The closer you get to the beach, the more expensive.
[SIZE=3]Vero has beautiful beaches, good restaurants, excellent shopping opportunities, and low crime. I would also check out Sebastian, it’s only about 10 miles north of Vero on U.S.1.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]As for inland towns, Sebring and Lake Placid are pretty nice, but boring. Stay the heck away from some of those towns like South Bay and Belle Glade or any of the towns on Lake Okeechobee for that matter.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Good Luck!![/SIZE]

Old 08-29-2007, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 13,452 times
we live in miami and planed to come sebring for a weekend...many things we see that we can do at day time but how about at nights?is there any bar,disco in sebring also hows night life in there? i am sure after miami not excellent but we wonder..

Old 08-30-2007, 06:26 AM

960 posts, read 1,687,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
Port Charlotte, North Port, Punta Gorda, Sebring, Lake Placid, Port St Lucie are quite affordable again due to the housing bust... Tons of vacant newer homes in need of retirees..
I wouldn't suggest Port Charlotte or North Port. Read previous threads about those areas and I think you will agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida