Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2011, 11:00 PM

6 posts, read 12,403 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone:

I just wanted to talk about my plans to leave Puerto Rico in January and move to DeBary , Florida , where my mom currently lives. I made a decision to move there completely around two months ago , but recently , I been having doubts about moving to Florida , especially reading the negative comments and complaints about Florida (unemployment , crime rates , etc) . Currently where I am , we are facing with the same issues , but , I started to think that moving to Florida will not change anything , because a lot of puertorricans have move there , especially to Central Florida. In fact , even my mom has told me about the unfavorable conditions in Florida at this very moment and I have entered into a state of confusion as to whether I should completely move there or not. I am currently finishing my semester at college and taking a leave of absence of college and the initial decision I made to move to Florida two months ago was just because I didnt know what to do here in Puerto Rico and other personal reasons. Currently I am saving money as much as possible and I dont know what to really do , because studying in Florida will be more expensive then studying where I currently studying. All I know at the moment is that I be traveling to Florida in January and guess to find out what I really want in my life. Any suggestions into moving to Florida or recommendations to any other state will be very welcome. I dont have any job already lined up in Fl or PR , so , i dont know what will happen. Anyway , I would like to hear reccomendations as to whether to move to Florida or Not. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 06:30 AM

27,164 posts, read 43,857,618 times
I would highly recommend NOT moving to Florida if you plan to work full-time, as finding a job is very difficult and those that ultimately become available are seemingly part-time minimum wage jobs. It might be good to move in with Mom for awhile to get your priorities set and maybe having part-time work will be sufficient for you while attending school here. While more expensive to attend school here it will cost more for just one year, when you can officially claim residency. Just make sure you get a drivers license as soon as you move here which helps document when you became a resident. Seminole State College which is closest to DeBary has out-of-state credit per hour fees of $236 which is pretty low by out-of-state tuition standards. It drops to $78 per hour once you become a resident. Hope this helps and good luck!

Old 12-06-2011, 10:10 PM

Thanks for advice folks , hope this helps with my transition to Florida

Old 12-07-2011, 03:00 PM

Anyone knows about the requierements that i need to apply for the programs for people with disabilities?? and what are the programs that State offers for people with disabilities??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida