Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2011, 12:48 PM

45 posts, read 87,968 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am very interested in moving to Florida (in the future) because I am an avid boater and love the warm weather. I am wondering, what are some cities where I would be able to buy a house on a canal for example where I would have my own private dock? I am interested in cities very close to the ocean so I can take my boat out directly to the ocean instead of a lake so not inland like the Orlando area. Either the atlantic or gulf coast, it does not matter to me. I have looked around some already just on the internet and have looked at the Tampa area (Bradenton, St. Pete, etc). I have also looked at the pompano beach area as well. I just feel overwhelmed because it seems like there are so many different areas to look at that are close to the ocean that have homes on canals leading to the ocean. My budget by the way is around $400,000. I can imagine that the homes that are on the water with a private dock are much more expensive than homes without water access but I was just not very impressed with a couple different ones that I have seen. They have been dumpy and outdated. (Maybe $400,000 isn't enough of a budget for on the water?) I don't need big and fancy but I am looking for a fairly newer home. I would rather have a small, updated, newer home with a dock than a large outdated one. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I would really appreciate any advice and insight that you have as far as locations for my budget.

P.S...I am also not interested in a condo or apartment. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 01:30 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,752,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfman530 View Post
Hello, I am very interested in moving to Florida (in the future) because I am an avid boater and love the warm weather. I am wondering, what are some cities where I would be able to buy a house on a canal for example where I would have my own private dock? I am interested in cities very close to the ocean so I can take my boat out directly to the ocean instead of a lake so not inland like the Orlando area. Either the atlantic or gulf coast, it does not matter to me. I have looked around some already just on the internet and have looked at the Tampa area (Bradenton, St. Pete, etc). I have also looked at the pompano beach area as well. I just feel overwhelmed because it seems like there are so many different areas to look at that are close to the ocean that have homes on canals leading to the ocean. My budget by the way is around $400,000. I can imagine that the homes that are on the water with a private dock are much more expensive than homes without water access but I was just not very impressed with a couple different ones that I have seen. They have been dumpy and outdated. (Maybe $400,000 isn't enough of a budget for on the water?) I don't need big and fancy but I am looking for a fairly newer home. I would rather have a small, updated, newer home with a dock than a large outdated one. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I would really appreciate any advice and insight that you have as far as locations for my budget.

P.S...I am also not interested in a condo or apartment. Thanks so much!
Depending on the city you chose, you will most likely be at the top of your budget for a house with ocean access and no fixed bridges. Just being on the water does not mean the water access goes anywhere. Fort lauderdale has a lot but many you have a two or three hour ride just to get to the ocean. Ocean access will have a big effect on the price. If you are close to the ocean with access and dock space you could be looking at 500 to a million even in today's market. In fact the dock alone even it you don't have a boat with good access could be worth a $1000.00 or more a month as a rental thus dictating the higher price. I know one lady with 90 feet of dock that generates like $2500.00 a month in income.

Last edited by mango23; 12-20-2011 at 01:40 PM..

Old 12-20-2011, 02:00 PM

45 posts, read 87,968 times
Thank you for your response. I figured that the closer to the water with a private dock, the more money.

I am really looking for an area fairly close to one of the big cities (45 min drive) because I work in Public Relations. I do not plan on moving in the very near future but I just want to focus in on a couple of areas to really begin my search.

With my budget of $400,000 I am willing to live in a smaller house as long as it has a dock and is relatively easy to get to the ocean. Location is by far my largest priority. I know my budget is not huge so I am willing to compromise on size of the home.

Thanks!

Old 12-20-2011, 02:45 PM

776 posts, read 1,674,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfman530 View Post
Thank you for your response. I figured that the closer to the water with a private dock, the more money.

I am really looking for an area fairly close to one of the big cities (45 min drive) because I work in Public Relations. I do not plan on moving in the very near future but I just want to focus in on a couple of areas to really begin my search.

With my budget of $400,000 I am willing to live in a smaller house as long as it has a dock and is relatively easy to get to the ocean. Location is by far my largest priority. I know my budget is not huge so I am willing to compromise on size of the home.

Thanks!
Try Charlotte County on the west coast halfway between Sarasota and Ft Myers... Lots of waterfront, access to Charlotte Harbor and the Gulf of Mexico. Also has the lowest prices in the southern half of the state..

Old 12-20-2011, 03:05 PM

817 posts, read 2,252,251 times
For that budget you can find what you're looking for and even in some populated areas. However, some of the more populated areas may require more "away from the ocean" choices...for example, you could find a house like you seek in west Tampa, but to get to the gulf, you'd have to run all the way down the bay and then out.

I'd try smaller towns....for example, I'm sure you could find something in a town like Steinhatchee (and it's pronounced "steen-hatchee" in case you actually call a realtor there).

Old 12-21-2011, 03:37 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,654,320 times
Hernando Beach has nice homes, built 2000 and newer with direct gulf access for under $300K
It is hot a heavily populated area but shopping is 10 minutes away.
Tampa would be a hour or so and Clearwater about the same in drive time.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:39 PM

663 posts, read 1,145,556 times
I just bought a house in Pinellas county, on a 400 ft canal,4 blocks from the Gulf for $380k. Older house and needs updating, but solid. 3/2 2 car garage, 1760 sq/ft. Lot is 70W by 120 long. You can get great deals in Pinellas all day, but will be older homes. Any home built in the last 20 yrs on the water will be a monster(4000sq/ft+)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida