Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 08:05 AM

2 posts, read 17,183 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
I am planning on moving from New Jersey to South Florida, specifically Palm Beach County. I lived in PBC a couple of years ago and didn't really like it but now that I have a child and see how pricey it is to live in NJ, I was considering moving back down. My only concern is the school system. I've heard that Florida has a poor school system. Any imputs? My son would be starting Kindergarten in the fall. Thanks.

Last edited by sm0483; 12-27-2011 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 09:24 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
It is an exaggeration that the school system in Florida is "poor."

As for Palm Beach County in particular, there are bad schools in Palm Beach County (typically, in the bad areas), and several nationally ranked schools in Palm Beach County. Just as there are bad schools in New Jersey, and good schools in New Jersey.

Some cities have better schools than others. The best schools are typically in the suburban areas (with exceptions of course), so check out the cities of Jupiter, Wellington and Boca Raton. Jupiter, Wellington and Boca get a "9" rating (out of 10) for its schools on Greatschools.net. Compare to whatever city you're coming from in Jersey.

Last edited by TriMT7; 12-27-2011 at 09:33 AM..

Old 12-27-2011, 09:43 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times
It's pretty bogus that people say Florida's schools are so poor.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:46 AM

2 posts, read 17,183 times
Thanks for the advice. I kinda feel the same way. I'm sure there are poor school systems in every state. As well as good schools. I just don't want to make a mistake when it comes down to my child's future.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:25 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0483 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I kinda feel the same way. I'm sure there are poor school systems in every state. As well as good schools. I just don't want to make a mistake when it comes down to my child's future.
WE came from NJ Schools then moved to NC and have been in Boca for 2.5 years now and our children now Middle school and our son is a Junior in HS are doing the same work here as there friends up North...We have been very pleased despite what other people say....The bottom line for us is our friends who attend the Public schools here have been accepted to the same Colleges as some our friend's kids up north...and the Florida University's for some reason at this point and time are extremely popular and we are seeing A lot of Northerners in particular moving here for them....and those attending afar in florida and locally as well

Just do your homework best as you can, and make a trip and visit the areas you are interested in...

Old 12-27-2011, 01:46 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times
Some of the people who move down here are real ****ing snobs and look down on people who live here. I suppose if you can afford to send a kid to private school, go for it. All the kid will end up with is the same education they would have gotten at a public school and a healthy cocaine habit...

Old 12-28-2011, 12:34 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
School system is useless. You can easily find a top SCHOOL in Florida. It's just likely you'll be living in an area with higher homes prices.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:10 PM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
It is an exaggeration that the school system in Florida is "poor."

As for Palm Beach County in particular, there are bad schools in Palm Beach County (typically, in the bad areas), and several nationally ranked schools in Palm Beach County. Just as there are bad schools in New Jersey, and good schools in New Jersey.

Some cities have better schools than others. The best schools are typically in the suburban areas (with exceptions of course), so check out the cities of Jupiter, Wellington and Boca Raton. Jupiter, Wellington and Boca get a "9" rating (out of 10) for its schools on Greatschools.net. Compare to whatever city you're coming from in Jersey.
You can't compare those rankings between states, as the ranking is based off of the test scores within that state.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:32 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You can't compare those rankings between states, as the ranking is based off of the test scores within that state.

And what are the fundamental differences between standardized test scores between states?

It is logical to assume that a school is ranked a 9 or 10 in Florida, chances are (very good chance) that it is better, or at least equal, to a school ranked 5, 6, or 7 in another state.

IMO (and admittedly, I'm not a parent.... yet), unless safety is an issue, or unless the schools are absolutely atrocious (because of student body), or unless the kids need a special program because of learning needs, parents spend WAAAAY too much time trying to find "the absolute best" schools. One of my best friends went to the prestigious Deerfield Academy in Massachusetts. I went to public schools in Florida, in a county (St. Lucie) that has working class demographics.

My friend has not achieved more professionally in adulthood, even though he attended an obviously better school, his SAT scores were not better, and he did not get into any school that I couldn't have also gotten into.

Last edited by TriMT7; 12-30-2011 at 01:41 PM..

Old 12-30-2011, 02:19 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
As a Parent I think Standardize Scores are a Joke..They Do not measure to what the kids know...My son has a 3.4 GPA he is Junior and A lot of the kids from the Senior Graduating Class have been except to Cornell, NYU, FSU and UF..However our son Doesn't do well on his Standardized Tests and yet knows all the material at school etc...The Tests DO not in my opinion tell the whole story....Everywhere there are Learning disabled kids, Kids that have 504's all these kids take these Standardize tests FCATS here or whatever and lets face it if a child doesn't test well it will bring the scores down...Our HS has a 96% Graduation Rate which I can say is the Same for the Schools up North where my Son went too and his friends Still Attend...There are good schools in every State and Bad Schools in every State and the fact that kids from Up North are attending the same schools as the Florida HS Kids for College what does that say?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida