Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 07:01 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
That's usually the case, I have co-workers from up north who move down to FL and no longer have allergies, or vice-versa, others who have allergies down here then leave FL and also no longer have them, so I guess it depends on what you're allergic to, obviously.
This happens because they haven't lived in the new place long enough to develop an allergy. In a conversation with my allergist and where to move to get rid of them. My allergist asked me, have you ever notice how you go on vacation and you never have allergies? I said YESSSSS, she then said it is because you haven't lived there long enough to develop one in that area. What usually happens is people do develop an allergy or allergies in the new place over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 11:38 AM

910 posts, read 2,332,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
This happens because they haven't lived in the new place long enough to develop an allergy. In a conversation with my allergist and where to move to get rid of them. My allergist asked me, have you ever notice how you go on vacation and you never have allergies? I said YESSSSS, she then said it is because you haven't lived there long enough to develop one in that area. What usually happens is people do develop an allergy or allergies in the new place over time.
Very true. I haven't developed my allergies until after 10 years living here. I thought it would be the other way around, where if you lived in a place for a while, you'd get acclimated towards it. It's sad I have to take medications just to tolerate living down here. No slam on FL in this case, I just don't like having to deal with it.

People who take vacation down here love it, and I see why but I tell them try staying longer. LIke my friend who stayed almost two weeks, he started saying he felt the effects on his eyes (the pollen) and he did start sneezing.

It's really bad, this is the longest it's been for me in a while, so I have to resort to medication and I don't like it. Our bodies should acclimate themselves naturally to an environment after being here for a while.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:29 PM

Location: Downtown Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill,Homestead for now
512 posts, read 1,225,440 times
I never had allergies while in NC. I moved to Fl and when it get cold/ windy my skin itches like crazy. I never had this issue while in NC.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:28 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,219,394 times
I never suffered allergies until moving to Florida. I don't have bad allergies, but I started t develop them after living here for about two years. I remember my doctor explaining that it isn't that you develop new allergies, it's just that when you're up north the more extreme seasons give you something of a break and so those with minor allergies never realize they have them. Down here you never really get a "break" so those with minor allergies will start to feel the effects of what has always been there. Don't know if it's true but it made sense to me, and they haven't really gotten worse since I first noted them so I still buy that theory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida