Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2010, 04:25 AM

485 posts, read 1,703,394 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to see how many Gainesville area residents suffer from terrible allergies. I like the area, but one of the reasons we moved back to L.A. was because my allergies were killing me. The mold spore count is high almost every single day in the area and I literally thought I would end up in the emergency room at times - I was very congested, eyes would swell, the works. Anyone with severe pollen or mold allergies should take this post as a warning - I'm scared to even visit the area now. Do you think that Gainesville's swampy geography is to blame? I still have allergy attacks here in L.A., but they very mild compared to what I experienced in Gainesville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 07:10 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsystar View Post
I just wanted to see how many Gainesville area residents suffer from terrible allergies. I like the area, but one of the reasons we moved back to L.A. was because my allergies were killing me. The mold spore count is high almost every single day in the area and I literally thought I would end up in the emergency room at times - I was very congested, eyes would swell, the works. Anyone with severe pollen or mold allergies should take this post as a warning - I'm scared to even visit the area now. Do you think that Gainesville's swampy geography is to blame? I still have allergy attacks here in L.A., but they very mild compared to what I experienced in Gainesville.
Yes, anyplace you have a lot of trees and vegetation, you will have allergies. I have allergies myself, in all the places I lived in Florida. However they were much WORSE in Asheville, NC, where we had a vacation place for awhile. The mold and pollen there is incredible - certain times of the year absolutely EVERYTYHING is completely covered.

Sorry to hear about your allergies, sometimes one can really love a place in every way but have it ruined by this. Ironically, one can also move to a place and be cure of things like asthma. My first husband had asthma (from Boston) and it was very bad still in Dade City, but when we moved to Sarasota it completely cleared up (the salt air maybe?)

Good luck with it.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:27 PM

485 posts, read 1,703,394 times
Thanks. Yes, I think it was the mold spores that were killing me in FL. The pollen is high here in L.A. but it doesn't seem to affect me as much. Prior to moving to Gainesville, I read a post from someone that had to leave the area due to horrible allergies. I thought it sounded crazy at the time, but now I totally get it! I bet there are less allergins near the coast - I had very mild allergies when we lived in Miami.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:05 PM

4 posts, read 10,304 times
My allergies were 10 times worse in Gainesville. Doctors can't even figure out how to treat them.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,900 times
Hello,
I'm writing an article for the Gainesville Sun about allergies in the area. Please let me know if you're willing to be interviewed for this piece.
Thanks,
Kristine Crane

Old 02-14-2016, 06:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,821 times
I had my first experience of an allergy attack last year, around July and August. One day I got a headache, then a sore throat came on, then I was coughing and sneezing so much that I lost my voice for about 2 weeks. I went to a doctor who confirmed it was allergies but I am holistic minded so was not comfortable with the testing to narrow it down or the treatments recommended. It just hit me again about a week ago. I went to Orlando for barely over 24 hours and got significantly better than as soon as I got out of my car in Gainesville, my symptoms were severe again. I want to know in general if it is pollen or mold but I can't seem to locate a time table like mine when I Google. I love Gainesville, I can't leave!

Old 02-15-2016, 06:10 AM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwithoff View Post
I had my first experience of an allergy attack last year, around July and August. One day I got a headache, then a sore throat came on, then I was coughing and sneezing so much that I lost my voice for about 2 weeks. I went to a doctor who confirmed it was allergies but I am holistic minded so was not comfortable with the testing to narrow it down or the treatments recommended. It just hit me again about a week ago. I went to Orlando for barely over 24 hours and got significantly better than as soon as I got out of my car in Gainesville, my symptoms were severe again. I want to know in general if it is pollen or mold but I can't seem to locate a time table like mine when I Google. I love Gainesville, I can't leave!
Go to a regular MD in Allergy and Immunology to get tested for what you're allergic to. In place of shots they now also offer liquid drops (self applied under the tongue) that work to build resistance over several months and in most cases ultimately alleviate the bad reactions you're seeing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida