Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 09:24 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,354,856 times

Advertisements

Let's get the haters riled up today...

Advanced Placement Florida: Advanced Placement scores rank Florida sixth in nation - OrlandoSentinel.com

Quote:
Florida's public high school students took more Advanced Placement classes then ever in 2011 and also aced more of the AP exams, meaning more students who graduated were likely ready for college, according to a new national report released this morning.

The state was ranked 6th in the nation based on the percentage of its 2011 graduates who passed at least one AP exam, the College Board's eighth annual "AP Report to the Nation" found.

Nearly 24 percent of Florida'sgraduates left high school with at least one successful AP score in 2011, up from 13.4 percent a decade ago. Maryland led the nation in 2011, as it has in recent years, with nearly 28 percent of its student doing well on an AP test. The national average was about 18 percent.
Quote:
AP courses are meant to offer the challenges of a college-level class to high school students. Students who pass the exams can earn college credit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 11:00 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,353,116 times
This is why I favor the AP program over the IB program. It gives more students the opportunity to get some college credits prior to college by focusing on their strengths.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:27 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,354,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
This is why I favor the AP program over the IB program. It gives more students the opportunity to get some college credits prior to college by focusing on their strengths.
I prefer the IB program because it forces you to try everything, but still gives you the opportunity to take the AP exams if you so choose. A double-chance at getting college credit.

My main point in posting this, however, was not to start an AP vs IB debate, but rather to provide some evidence against the common misconception/dogma that FL has a mediocre education system

Old 02-08-2012, 11:42 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,353,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
I prefer the IB program because it forces you to try everything, but still gives you the opportunity to take the AP exams if you so choose. A double-chance at getting college credit.

My main point in posting this, however, was not to start an AP vs IB debate, but rather to provide some evidence against the common misconception/dogma that FL has a mediocre education system
Ohh yes I agree with you on that Chop. There are some great schools and school systems in the Florida. I went to public school here and felt I got a good education.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:25 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,614,653 times
Thankyou, chopchop0. Here also is a link to the full report --> Home | AP Report to the Nation. The Sentinel didn't include it in their article.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:13 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,072,830 times
Awesome news! If anything is going to happen with home sales knowing that the schools are good/improving will certainly help.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:40 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,039,304 times
No single test/ measure alone should be used as a means to define school quality. All one needs to do is to look at Florida's (or any other states perceived relative education stature) on the SAT's to attain any real perspective. The SAT's are standardized nationally, and historically have been viewed as one of the few tests that are reliable and valid. Florida's 2011 national ranking on the SAT's places the state in 46th place of the 50 states. I am still searching for Governor Scott's response to Florida's national educational standing when the tests truly stand for something.

Florida SAT scores: Florida SAT scores fall - Orlando Sentinel

Commonwealth Foundation - SAT Scores by State, 2011

Old 02-08-2012, 04:50 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,936,985 times
The schools in this state suck. Period. End of story.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:31 PM

17,555 posts, read 39,204,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
The schools in this state suck. Period. End of story.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:52 PM

629 posts, read 1,723,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
No single test/ measure alone should be used as a means to define school quality. All one needs to do is to look at Florida's (or any other states perceived relative education stature) on the SAT's to attain any real perspective. The SAT's are standardized nationally, and historically have been viewed as one of the few tests that are reliable and valid. Florida's 2011 national ranking on the SAT's places the state in 46th place of the 50 states. I am still searching for Governor Scott's response to Florida's national educational standing when the tests truly stand for something.

Florida SAT scores: Florida SAT scores fall - Orlando Sentinel

Commonwealth Foundation - SAT Scores by State, 2011
If you actually read your ranking that places Florida 46th you'll see the participation rankings listed there as well. Florida has a 64% participation rate. None of the top 20 states even have a 20% participation rate. Pretty easy to have a high average score when only the smartest 1 out of 5 or 1 out of 10 kids take the test (making the safe assumption here that the small number who do participate in those states are among the brighter/brightest kids who plan on going to college).

Florida education may not be perfect, but the ranking you provided doesn't even allow an apples to oranges comparison, more like apples to Volkswagens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: