Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 10:01 AM

700 posts, read 1,817,874 times

Advertisements

As a recent transplant I've noticed a lot of drivers treat Right Turn Red Arrows as mearly a slow it down to about 20 and drift through the intersection, making a right turn.

I thought Right Turn Red Arrows were the same as Do not turn on red. If the arrow is flashing or turns green, ok to proceed after stop on the flashing.

About 6 months ago I was at a right turn with a red arrow. A guy in a P/U a couple cars back was just freaking out, honking the horn and jumping around inside. Was I wrong for waiting for the green?

Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 10:15 AM

613 posts, read 759,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daFrogMan View Post
As a recent transplant I've noticed a lot of drivers treat Right Turn Red Arrows as mearly a slow it down to about 20 and drift through the intersection, making a right turn.

I thought Right Turn Red Arrows were the same as Do not turn on red. If the arrow is flashing or turns green, ok to proceed after stop on the flashing.

About 6 months ago I was at a right turn with a red arrow. A guy in a P/U a couple cars back was just freaking out, honking the horn and jumping around inside. Was I wrong for waiting for the green?

Thanks in advance!!!

[SIZE=3]The guy in the pickup freaking out at you for not turning means you were correct in waiting for the green light to turn. In fact, I would have waited longer, just to be safe. [/SIZE]

Old 02-14-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredsnowman View Post
The guy in the pickup freaking out at you for not turning means you were correct in waiting for the green light to turn. In fact, I would have waited longer, just to be safe.

I like your 'method'! Thanks!

Old 02-14-2012, 10:29 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,055,477 times
Don't give wrong information redsnowman.

daFrogMan - in Florida it is legal to make a right turn on red unless posted. You are supposed to come to a full and complete stop the same as a stop sign and many will do a 'rolling stop' which is illegal. After you come to a complete stop if there is an opening you are allowed to make the right on red.

Signs posted are traditionally on posts next to the lane but more and more intersections are switching to having it somewhere hanging next to the traffic light. Many are also doing this because they will switch from being legal to not depending on which traffic is going.

For example a blind spot to your left might make it illegal for you to do the right on red while they're in motion, but when the traffic signal switches so the cars across the intersection are making their left turns it could be legal to do so depending on whether the sign is illuminated or not.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:45 AM

Enders, thanks for chimming in.
Are you explaining the right turn on red signal? Or right turn on Red ARROW?
In Charlotte county I see intersections that have a right turn red arrow. And some even have a no turn on red arrow sign in addition to the red arrow. Thus my confusion.
Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post

daFrogMan - in Florida it is legal to make a right turn on red unless posted. You are supposed to come to a full and complete stop the same as a stop sign and many will do a 'rolling stop' which is illegal. After you come to a complete stop if there is an opening you are allowed to make the right on red.

Signs posted are traditionally on posts next to the lane but more and more intersections are switching to having it somewhere hanging next to the traffic light. Many are also doing this because they will switch from being legal to not depending on which traffic is going.

For example a blind spot to your left might make it illegal for you to do the right on red while they're in motion, but when the traffic signal switches so the cars across the intersection are making their left turns it could be legal to do so depending on whether the sign is illuminated or not.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:48 AM

I just answered my own question. Below is what if from http://www.dot.state.fl.us/TrafficOp...SignalFAQ.shtm
Thanks All!!!!!!

What does the red arrow mean?
A red RIGHT arrow means that you must come to a complete stop at the marked stop line or before moving into the crosswalk or intersection. After stopping, you may turn RIGHT on the red arrow at most intersections if the way is clear. Some intersections display a "NO TURN ON RED" sign, which you must obey.

A red LEFT turn arrow means that you must come to a complete stop at the marked stop line or before moving into the crosswalk or intersection, and shall remain stopped until a signal indication to proceed is shown. After stopping, the motorist facing a red LEFT turn arrow or red circular signal indication is permitted to enter the intersection to turn left from a one-way street onto a one-way street with traffic moving to the left except when a "NO TURN ON RED" sign is displayed.

I think I owe the guy in the pick up an apology.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:31 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
I never knew that. The few red arrows I have seen usually either have a sign that says right turn on red from right lane only or no turn on red. I guess if there is no sign just treat it has a normal red light.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:39 PM

613 posts, read 759,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post

I was not commenting on the legality of turning right on red, but rather commenting on how I would handle the situation, and it is clear the OP acted correctly.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:59 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,316,881 times
Right turn on red is legal after complete stop, if it's a red light or a red arror. Also on one-way streets, you can make a left turn on red after stop.

The only exception is if there is a "no turn on red" sign.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:01 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times
Very few observe this law,will cut you off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida