Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 01:49 PM

14 posts, read 30,462 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

This is my first post but I have visited the site very often and love reading opinions on different places. I have finally decided to post.

A little about us, 2 adults (early 20's) and 1 child. My wife has been working mainly in clinical office settings (Dental, Chiropractic). I have been working in customer service but am finishing my Personal Trainer certificate and I also have an associates degree. I mention this because neither of us really have established "careers". We also have a 6 year old.

We are looking for an affordable area (looking to rent, not buy) somewhat close to the beach (20-30 minute drive). We are interested in an area that has things to do in the community (trails, parks, museums, malls, etc) but nothing too close to the INNER city. We are from Chicago so we feel as if almost anything is safer than here, but we realize that the further from the city (usually) the better, so yes safety is a concern along with education. Although we don't want anything too close to the city, we do realize that this is probably where jobs can most easily be found.

I have visited Tampa, Orlando, St. Augustine and Miami and there were certain things that I liked about each. I really like Citrus Park (near Tampa) and I enjoyed Kendall (by Miami) but I've heard quite a few negative things about Kendall (Unless you live in the more expensive areas). Based on research, Ft.Lauderdale seems like a cool area, although I've never been there.

We are pretty simple people, we just want to live in an affordable area that includes some nice attractions that we can visit when we feel the need to, and has good education for our daughter.

Perhaps this post is very broad and not specific enough, but maybe you all can give some good suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 03:36 PM

I forgot to mention, based on research, Weston and Plantation also seem to be nice but then again I've read mixed reviews on this site so i'm not sure what to believe. If I remember correctly, Weston was fairly expensive...

When I mentioned affordable above, it means up to about 800-850 for rent.

Last edited by Curious J32; 02-14-2012 at 03:59 PM..

Old 02-15-2012, 06:14 AM

27,191 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious J32 View Post
Hello everyone.

This is my first post but I have visited the site very often and love reading opinions on different places. I have finally decided to post.

A little about us, 2 adults (early 20's) and 1 child. My wife has been working mainly in clinical office settings (Dental, Chiropractic). I have been working in customer service but am finishing my Personal Trainer certificate and I also have an associates degree. I mention this because neither of us really have established "careers". We also have a 6 year old.

We are looking for an affordable area (looking to rent, not buy) somewhat close to the beach (20-30 minute drive). We are interested in an area that has things to do in the community (trails, parks, museums, malls, etc) but nothing too close to the INNER city. We are from Chicago so we feel as if almost anything is safer than here, but we realize that the further from the city (usually) the better, so yes safety is a concern along with education. Although we don't want anything too close to the city, we do realize that this is probably where jobs can most easily be found.

I have visited Tampa, Orlando, St. Augustine and Miami and there were certain things that I liked about each. I really like Citrus Park (near Tampa) and I enjoyed Kendall (by Miami) but I've heard quite a few negative things about Kendall (Unless you live in the more expensive areas). Based on research, Ft.Lauderdale seems like a cool area, although I've never been there.

We are pretty simple people, we just want to live in an affordable area that includes some nice attractions that we can visit when we feel the need to, and has good education for our daughter.

Perhaps this post is very broad and not specific enough, but maybe you all can give some good suggestions.
Quote:
I forgot to mention, based on research, Weston and Plantation also seem to be nice but then again I've read mixed reviews on this site so i'm not sure what to believe. If I remember correctly, Weston was fairly expensive...

For safe and affordable at $850 a month for a two bedroom apartment, you can knock South Florida off of your list.

For 30 minute or so proximity to the beach, top-rated schools, things to do and housing within your budget that's in a safe area I would recommend the Space Coast/Brevard County area (specifically West Melbourne, Merritt Island or the west side of Rockledge) or Clearwater/Pinellas County (specifically Palm Harbor, NE Clearwater's Countryside area or the East Lake Woodlands area of Oldsmar).

Old 02-15-2012, 06:31 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,902,950 times
Quote:

Forget Weston or Plantation. They are nice areas that meet your other criteria but renting a house will cost MUCH MUCH MUCH more than you have to spend.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:39 AM

Thank you all for the responses!

I figured that would most likely be the case with South Florida..

I did a little bit of research on some of the areas in the "Space Coast". It seemed okay but i'll have to read some more.

I actually really like Clearwater so I'm glad you mentioned it!

Old 02-17-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:

I did a little bit of research on some of the areas in the "Space Coast". It seemed okay but i'll have to read some more.

You can't go wrong with northeast side of Clearwater (Countryside) in the area where it meets with the towns of Safety Harbor, Oldsmar and Palm Harbor. Pretty much anywhere within that "four corners" area where they all meet is prime real estate because of the family-friendly aspect as well as the quality of the schools. I would give the edge to Palm Harbor and the unincorporated area on the west side of Oldsmar known as East Lake.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:12 PM

Thank you for the information...

Safety Harbor seems very nice. I asked my sister who lives near Westchase and she says that Safety Harbor is a very nice place to live.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the information...

Safety Harbor seems very nice. I asked my sister who lives near Westchase and she says that Safety Harbor is a very nice place to live.
My best friend lives in Safety Harbor after relocating from NY (Long Island) and loves it. Friendly neighbors, safe/quiet yet convenient to beaches and shopping/entertainment, very good schools and it's established without that sterile feel of many new communities.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:12 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,319,079 times
Quote:

It's for the better anyways. Quite frankly, much of South FL is unlivable IMO. Much better to raise your family anywhere from Jupiter on northward.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:27 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,960,523 times
Have you looked at the swfl area? Estero is nice lots of young familiesetc. West coast IMO is far better quality of life and just better feel overall tha. East
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida