Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 09:14 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times

Advertisements

Love it here, there is something for everyone that is interested in the place. If you do not like Miami, then you might like St. Pete; if you do not like cities, then there are towns; yuppies, rednecks, and everything in between; got a good mix of it all. Get bored with one scene, then just drive a bit and hang out in another.

The only thing that is not here is mountain climbing and snow skiing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 06:27 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,411,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Love it here, there is something for everyone that is interested in the place. If you do not like Miami, then you might like St. Pete; if you do not like cities, then there are towns; yuppies, rednecks, and everything in between; got a good mix of it all. Get bored with one scene, then just drive a bit and hang out in another.

This is a great post. What do you want? Beach villages, urban core, old suburb, new gated suburbia, quaint small towns, acreage living...and this is available in the greater Tampa Bay area! Add in cosmopolitan South Fla, central lakes region, the panhandle, Atlantic coast...Florida is more things to more people than any other state.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:36 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
This is a great post. What do you want? Beach villages, urban core, old suburb, new gated suburbia, quaint small towns, acreage living...and this is available in the greater Tampa Bay area! Add in cosmopolitan South Fla, central lakes region, the panhandle, Atlantic coast...Florida is more things to more people than any other state.
California as well, but much more expensive

Old 02-21-2012, 12:17 PM

4 posts, read 9,837 times
Thank you all for your very helpful replies. One of the things I think I love most about Florida is how varied it can be depending on what part of the state you're in. I don't really know what I want out of the state, but the good thing is that other than being in a place with some hills, Florida offers everything I could want, whether that be an exciting big city or a more rural setting.

I'm really interested in Saint Augustine, since it is obviously a beautiful city and seems to be big enough to be interesting but small enough to leave room for a more relaxed, spacious feel. Does anyone have any input on that area?

Old 02-21-2012, 12:47 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,802,523 times
IMO, the "catch" is low wages combined with high cost of living.

Florida used to have a low cost of living, but that has changed. Rents are high. Per kilowatt hour is high (compared to GA). Auto insurance is double from what you would pay in other areas, and homeowner's insurance is also very high.

Sure, home prices have fallen but you get what you pay for, in terms of school zones and crime, etc with some of these "bargain" homes.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:30 PM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,467,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
^^^Nicely said, each person is different...We can never tell you if Florida is the right place for you or not. As you can only decide this.

I will say that the humidity in Florida isn't the issue, it is how many months it can be hot and humid. Right now its 80F with 70% humidity outside in February, its one thing to be hot and humid for 3-4 months in the summer but when parts of Florida can be hot and humid for 10 months out of the year it gets old for some of us. My windows are closed and the AC is on, without the invention of the A/C Florida wouldn't have had the development it has had. South Florida has 4 months of nice weather, this is typically the months the snowbirds come down. Now North Florida is different they get a much cooler winters then Southern Florida, which gives them a little break.

The best advice I can say to people right now is make sure you have a job lined up before you move here or have at least one year savings to live off when you come.
You should try and ACCLIMATE-keep a breeze going with your fans and get used to it. Try to wean yourself from the AC when the weather is mild, which 80 deg is for FL. Your body can/will adjust.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:04 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,466,347 times
I have lived in Florida a loooooooooooong time, I grew up in Florida actually... People always say you will acclimate to the heat and humidity, I just don't believe in that everyone can get used to the heat and humidity.

I get headaches if I overheat and am not hydrated properly. As a kid I went home a lot because of headaches all do to the heat and lack of hydration I had after PE in school. I have fainted a few times from the heat and humidity, not fun. Basically I have learned how to live in South Florida so I don't faint or get many headaches anymore. And that means lots of time indoors. November - April I try to spend as much time outdoors as possible. Because the rest of the year it is just way to hot and humid to be outside for any extended amount of time. So 6 months of nice weather and 6 months of bad weather. This year however is another story, suppose to be 87 tomorrow Already canceled the daily walk with the neighbor because it will be to hot for me.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:58 PM

334 posts, read 1,152,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTC View Post
You should try and ACCLIMATE-keep a breeze going with your fans and get used to it. Try to wean yourself from the AC when the weather is mild, which 80 deg is for FL. Your body can/will adjust.
This. We keep our A/C set to 80 and open windows and run the fans as needed. One sure-fire way to never adjust to the heat is to keep your A/C set to 72! Plus, running the A/C that cold costs a lot.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:22 PM

261 posts, read 357,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

And I hate these two things! See now you've made me want to move to Florida even more. But then I'd miss my family. So I will keep coming on here and do my Florida dreaming. Thanks for the post.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:04 AM

27,232 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanswolfgangmercer View Post
Thank you all for your very helpful replies. One of the things I think I love most about Florida is how varied it can be depending on what part of the state you're in. I don't really know what I want out of the state, but the good thing is that other than being in a place with some hills, Florida offers everything I could want, whether that be an exciting big city or a more rural setting.

I'm really interested in Saint Augustine, since it is obviously a beautiful city and seems to be big enough to be interesting but small enough to leave room for a more relaxed, spacious feel. Does anyone have any input on that area?
I love Saint Augustine and it was at the top of my list to move to when I moved back to the state (Native Floridian myself). Unfortunately other factors played a role in where I wound up.

Saint Augustine has a lot going for it...history, architecture, culture, beautiful beaches and friendly people. It's interesting how the city is rather packed during the day but will quiet down at night, though it's not dead as the restaurants/bars fill up... but it still seems kind of like two different cities within the same day. I find I liked the hustle-bustle of daytime and more, relaxed "Old Florida feel" at night. Saint Augustine itself has most everything you could want yet is close enough to the much larger city of Jacksonville for big city amenities like malls (St Johns Town Center is awesome), pro sports (Jacksonville Jaguars football) and Jacksonville International Airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida