Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 04:48 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times

Advertisements

West Nile Monitors are spreading. They wipe out local wildlife as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 09:15 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Hows the Florida panther doing?

Old 06-22-2012, 02:33 PM

1,108 posts, read 4,218,285 times
Cool The Bigger The Snake

As the Boa's keep getting larger and wiping out their food supply...they will have no choice but to seek a new food source......I wonder what it might be......your cat...your dog...your kid's...maybe even you...remember...a Boa swallowed a 5' alligator before it burst...but alot of our children are alot smaller and I am sure would make a tasty morsel for a hungry 200 pound snake......what do you think...

Old 07-05-2012, 04:34 AM

2 posts, read 3,975 times
Default Pet Pythons

Yes, yes.... but we're not talking about people. It is clear that python attacks on people would be serious but long before a Rock Python drops onto a kid in Orlando its cousins will have completely changed the ecosystem in Florida, Georgia, Louisiana etc. Raccoons, foxs, birds, etc... gone. The studies show that sightings of these mammals and other creatures are down in the 90% range. Can you imagine that? These snakes are under your porch!!

Old 07-05-2012, 11:40 AM

1,579 posts, read 2,341,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjay View Post
I think it's an issue which though important WON'T be dealt with. It's unfortunate but the right wing nature of Florida's politics means the authorities won't pay for people to go hunt these snakes. While they waste time trying to find a cheap solution the snakes continue breeding AND moving north. I thought at first; GREAT BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY.... these snakes can be caught by independent contractors on a bounty system but after further research I saw several documentaries where willing private citizens were banned from assisting the Everglades Park in finding and disposing of these snakes. This means that the Anacondas, Retics and other large non native snakes get to continue spreading and breeding because the threat isn't being taken seriously. Floridians are tough but this issue needs action right now. I'm seeing figures like 90% of Foxes, Raccoons, Possums and other small mammal populations; wiped out. These snakes will eat anything.

My concern about paying people to bring in BOAs is that human nature will make it worse. These "contractors" will be motivated by money to breed these snakes and to make the problem worse. All it takes is a few corrupt individuals. Take away much of this moral hazard by having government workers hunt for the snakes. pay them the same whether they catch 1 snake or 200 snakes.

We need to be real careful about turning wild rock boas into profit.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:31 PM

1,108 posts, read 4,218,285 times
Cool You Got It!!!!

These snakes are under your porch!![/quote]

My point exactly......for what makes you think the hungry Boa under your porch will no the difference between the family pet...the racoon looking for a meal...or your child running to the pool....studies claim a 12' Boa can kill an adult male...so what chance does a child stand......after all...a meal is a meal.....whether you drop from a tree to get it...or just slither along the grass to catch it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida