Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 03:52 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,741,743 times

Advertisements

If the property tax assessor's office overinflated your property values to more than what they are worth, and you can prove it, can you sue for your money back? Not sure what the case history is, but I thought that before spending hours looking through Southern Reporter, does anyone with legal experience have an opinion on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 07:35 PM

1 posts, read 6,917 times
Default property tax question

Please post what you found on suing the tax assessor. Same story here different county.

need more freedom

Old 05-07-2008, 07:37 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,156,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
If the property tax assessor's office overinflated your property values to more than what they are worth, and you can prove it, can you sue for your money back? Not sure what the case history is, but I thought that before spending hours looking through Southern Reporter, does anyone with legal experience have an opinion on this?
You might want to move this to the legal forum and get the expert advise of our lawyers.. Let me know..

Thank you...

Old 05-07-2008, 07:59 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,741,743 times
I did not know there was a legal forum here! As for my research, I could not find a good case precedent. There are a few cases from mostly high-end properties where the taxes have been reduced, and some where mistakes were made and refunds were recieved. Unfortunately I have not had the time to go back to the law library, as it is in Miami not near me. Hopefully I am going to be getting a set of volumes for the home library and digitizing it for legal research. If moving this topic to the legal forum will get more attention, I am for it. I had forgotten about this post.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:13 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,156,497 times
Quote:
I did not know there was a legal forum here! As for my research, I could not find a good case precedent. There are a few cases from mostly high-end properties where the taxes have been reduced, and some where mistakes were made and refunds were recieved. Unfortunately I have not had the time to go back to the law library, as it is in Miami not near me. Hopefully I am going to be getting a set of volumes for the home library and digitizing it for legal research. If moving this topic to the legal forum will get more attention, I am for it. I had forgotten about this post.

Disregard, I was under the wrong assumption, we don't have a legal forum. I was thinking about Business, Finance, and Investing. My apologies...

Old 05-07-2008, 09:38 PM

713 posts, read 2,669,350 times
Default Keep it up. Bumped up that is...

and maybe a legal eagle will see this and chime in.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:22 AM

88 posts, read 413,740 times
Fraud is unrealistic both as to the property appraiser's office and the property appraiser as an individual. YOu can sue and get your property re-appraised and reimbursement of any overpaid taxex. The hoops one has to jump through to even try are complex, but not overly onerous. Miss a hoop and your out for that tax year.

First, to contest the property appraiser's assessment, you have to comply with strict statutory provisions requiring the filing of a request for review by the VAB, a hearing before a special master, the VAB's order based upon the special masters recomendation, then if you do not agree with the outcome you petition for appeal with the VAB and/or proceed in a circuit court action to correct the mis-valuation.

Only then could you sue for fraud and have to prevail in the motion to dismiss and summary judgment issues of immunity and qualified immunity to reach the property appraiser for fraud. I have never seen a case against the property appraiser that lifted the qualified immunity subjecting. You could do this on your own, but if you hire an attorney expect to pay between $10 - 25K to get to this point. And the attorney's fees come out of your pocket since there is no statutory provision for attorneys fees.

The only real way to confront the property appraiser is vote him/her out of office.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:57 PM

80 posts, read 348,838 times
Do not know about Florida law precedent - However, before you get cozy with Southern Reporter, find out if there is a certiorari or appeals process for property taxes. You may be able to work it out within the system.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:29 AM

2,215 posts, read 3,614,642 times
I believe you can also research this on a website ( I may be off some ) called caselaw.com ??
There is a website and I did not write in down that has thousands of pages by state of case law. Sorry if I am off some.
If I find it I will post back.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:26 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,127,642 times
Quote:
I don't know off the top of my head, but there should be a specific greivance procedure.

Outside of that, you always have rights under Chapter 120, Fla. Stat. (the Administrative Procedure Act) to challenge the actions of a local government that affect your sustantial interests. It can get a little hairy so it is best to hire an attorney - and one that works in this area.

I would have a look at 120 and the property appraiser's statute before I dived into the Southern Reporter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: