Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2012, 10:02 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,391,715 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,

I was curious to hear how all of you feel about this P.E.R.T. College Readiness Test the 11th Graders now have to take to Graduate...the guidelines for those who do NOT have to take it...Scored Level 5 on FCAT, 17 Reading ACT and English, and 19 on Math...SAT 440 in both.....

When I called the School and the Department of Education for Florida I was told that they are doing this because it is a very big problem in this country that our children are coming out of HS not knowing how to Read, Write and do Math so with this test if they do not score the Minimum Requirement that the Colleges accept, they will be put into Remedial Reading/Math in their senior year and they have to retake the PERT again.....I am not opposed to this I just don't know if should be a Graduation Requirement so to speak....

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 10:44 AM

729 posts, read 1,302,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
Hey Everyone,

I was curious to hear how all of you feel about this P.E.R.T. College Readiness Test the 11th Graders now have to take to Graduate...the guidelines for those who do NOT have to take it...Scored Level 5 on FCAT, 17 Reading ACT and English, and 19 on Math...SAT 440 in both.....

When I called the School and the Department of Education for Florida I was told that they are doing this because it is a very big problem in this country that our children are coming out of HS not knowing how to Read, Write and do Math so with this test if they do not score the Minimum Requirement that the Colleges accept, they will be put into Remedial Reading/Math in their senior year and they have to retake the PERT again.....I am not opposed to this I just don't know if should be a Graduation Requirement so to speak....

What are your thoughts?
LOL! It's another layer of BS that will do nothing more than require more test preparation instead of real-world skills (like reading) and children will continue to be illiterate OR informed families that have the means will place their child in private school thus, further validating the need to cut public school funding and salaries.

It's a precisely calculated game....

Old 04-02-2012, 10:05 AM

52 posts, read 133,414 times
My son is an 11th grader and didn't have to take it because he scored level 5 on the FCAT. We had a meeting at school that explained the test somewhat. Low achieving students (level 1 and maybe level 2 on the FCAT) won't take the test either because they need to concentrate on the high school curriculum, not college. I don't see it as a big deal. It just means that the kids who can't pass the test take the college remedial classes in high school instead of in college so that hopefully they will start college ready to take college level classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida