Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2007, 02:32 PM

162 posts, read 677,860 times

Advertisements

OK, tax implications aside. I am wondering if it is a bad thing if you pay off your mortgage and then later something catastrophic happens like a hurricane or a sinkhole collapse.

The reason I ask is because I've heard stories that if your house is already paid off you would be ineligible for certain financial considerations (special loans, grants, etc) if something like a hurricane or flood wipes you out and your insurance itself doesn't cover you. Yes I have flood insurance but I also know that so did some of the people affected by Katrina and they're still not paid. I also know flood insurance has it's limits. I've also heard that if you have a sinkhole many times the insurance company fixes it and pays off the mortgage because you won't ever get sink hole insurance again.

Not sure if any of these things are old-wives tales or not but if anyone has any info on where I could find this info IN WRITING I'd appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 02:35 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,658,909 times
Might not make sense economicaly but it sure is a good feeling to know that you CAN write a check and pay it off.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:02 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,909,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debidibly View Post
OK, tax implications aside. I am wondering if it is a bad thing if you pay off your mortgage and then later something catastrophic happens like a hurricane or a sinkhole collapse.

The reason I ask is because I've heard stories that if your house is already paid off you would be ineligible for certain financial considerations (special loans, grants, etc) if something like a hurricane or flood wipes you out and your insurance itself doesn't cover you. Yes I have flood insurance but I also know that so did some of the people affected by Katrina and they're still not paid. I also know flood insurance has it's limits. I've also heard that if you have a sinkhole many times the insurance company fixes it and pays off the mortgage because you won't ever get sink hole insurance again.

Not sure if any of these things are old-wives tales or not but if anyone has any info on where I could find this info IN WRITING I'd appreciate it.
I don't have a mortgage anymore. But I have insurance. I don't have to but I do. As far as ineligible no, if you meet the guideline you will get the same help as the others. Now if its a 2nd home or an investment I don't think you will get the FEMA help. Without your own insurance you would be stuck in that case. As far as taxes the rates are too low to make it worth it IMO. Sinkholes are all over Florida here is a site to help you. DRAM, Florida Geological Survey - Frequently Asked Questions

Last edited by firemed; 09-16-2007 at 03:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida