Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 09:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,622 times

Advertisements

I see that this is an older post but however. I lived in Colorado Springs for 18 years (18 years too long) and moved to Boca Raton FL 5 years ago. This was the Best thing I ever done in my entire life. After being dried up like a fish on land, I enjoyed from day one the humidity so much that the first few weeks living here, I did not even turn on the air condition. The desert out there and this dryness was driving me crazy. In the wintertime I had a hard time breathing with this thin air and high altitude. Eventho I am original from Germany, but looking Spanish with dark hair, I was treated like a minority out there . I find the nature of South Florida very beautiful and thought honestly how I deserved to move from Hell to Heaven. Just wait until the winter time when everything turns yellow out there and plain desert. I have had friends who moved from Ft Lauderdale out there and told me how very nice and beautiful it was, but after 6 years they had enough and moved back to FL. When I lived in CO Springs I used to go at least 3-4 times a year on a vacation to get away. Since I am here, I feel I am on a vacation all times and never left to go anywhere. Delray Beach is just so beautiful.../Anyway, that s just my opinion and my life. I fit perfectly into SF and I will never ever leave this place. People are so much more friendly with me here then they ever were in CS. were nobody in my neighborhood (out East off Powers) never even bothered to lift their head to say hi walking my dog out there. Well, whatever you guys decide on doing, I am pretty sure we are all in the place were our personality and lifestyle blends best with and probably are all put eventually into the place where we supposed to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 05:22 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flangel36 View Post
I see that this is an older post but however. I lived in Colorado Springs for 18 years (18 years too long) and moved to Boca Raton FL 5 years ago. This was the Best thing I ever done in my entire life. After being dried up like a fish on land, I enjoyed from day one the humidity so much that the first few weeks living here, I did not even turn on the air condition. The desert out there and this dryness was driving me crazy. In the wintertime I had a hard time breathing with this thin air and high altitude. Eventho I am original from Germany, but looking Spanish with dark hair, I was treated like a minority out there . I find the nature of South Florida very beautiful and thought honestly how I deserved to move from Hell to Heaven. Just wait until the winter time when everything turns yellow out there and plain desert. I have had friends who moved from Ft Lauderdale out there and told me how very nice and beautiful it was, but after 6 years they had enough and moved back to FL. When I lived in CO Springs I used to go at least 3-4 times a year on a vacation to get away. Since I am here, I feel I am on a vacation all times and never left to go anywhere. Delray Beach is just so beautiful.../Anyway, that s just my opinion and my life. I fit perfectly into SF and I will never ever leave this place. People are so much more friendly with me here then they ever were in CS. were nobody in my neighborhood (out East off Powers) never even bothered to lift their head to say hi walking my dog out there. Well, whatever you guys decide on doing, I am pretty sure we are all in the place were our personality and lifestyle blends best with and probably are all put eventually into the place where we supposed to be.

Well I'm glad you like it here....

I'm from Denver and probably moving back-Florida is not for me and cannot find a decent paying job. Plus I find a lot of things are more expensive here-

Everyone is different-I'll take Colorado's "snobby" over Florida's "trash" any day

Old 08-08-2013, 06:56 AM

6 posts, read 6,342 times
I moved here recently and do not find the heat/humidity a problem at all. A lot of the country is just as hot, and just as humid, as Florida is. People just whine a lot.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:49 AM

102 posts, read 185,761 times
I spent 28 years in New Smyrna and just moved to Aspen. We owned a home out here for several years and finally decided to make the move. Florida has turned into freak show of crime and drugs with little economic opportunity. The schools, the people and the mountains are very much to our liking. I do still own our home in NSB though and will probably hold onto it for future visits.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:15 PM

35 posts, read 64,859 times
Im in Florida, one of the worst mistakes I think Ive ever made was moving to Florida from Colorado.

It is dry out there and weather always changing, but I'll take that over whats in Florida any day. You can always come to Florida for two weeks and then get the heck out and back to normal civilization.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:02 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkskw View Post
Im in Florida, one of the worst mistakes I think Ive ever made was moving to Florida from Colorado.

It is dry out there and weather always changing, but I'll take that over whats in Florida any day. You can always come to Florida for two weeks and then get the heck out and back to normal civilization.

Where in Colorado are you from?

And that drive.....27 hours...

Old 08-09-2013, 05:42 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otherside1 View Post
I spent 28 years in New Smyrna and just moved to Aspen. We owned a home out here for several years and finally decided to make the move. Florida has turned into freak show of crime and drugs with little economic opportunity. The schools, the people and the mountains are very much to our liking. I do still own our home in NSB though and will probably hold onto it for future visits.
Aspen can hardly be used as a gauge to measure against. Not many people can afford it there so anything else looks like a crime infested pool full of trash. I have met a few people from Aspen and no, thank you.

Someone said that FL is ugly, flat and boring (in this thread). They obviously never stepped outside of their home - the state is beautiful. If you actually take the time to go places - you will realize that the state is not only the 20 miles of coastline, it has ranches, horses, cows, forests, rivers, hills.... Where else can you paddle for a month (like Everglades) or chill out living the island lifestyle (like the Keys), go ride a horse for days (like Ocala or Appalachicola or Osceola), bike across the state for days etc.?

Having lived around the world and across various states - I can honestly say FL is one of the places that truly grows on you. Conversely, it NEVER grows on some people.

Good luck in "sterile" Aspen.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:52 AM

102 posts, read 185,761 times
"I can honestly say FL is one of the places that truly grows on you."..... Like a rash.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:05 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otherside1 View Post
"I can honestly say FL is one of the places that truly grows on you."..... Like a rash.
That all you got? So, you cashed out on your nice house in New Smyrna Beach and now you live in posh Aspen where you can sit on top of the hill with your rich buddies and laugh at the world. Anything else?

Old 08-10-2013, 09:20 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
Aspen can hardly be used as a gauge to measure against. Not many people can afford it there so anything else looks like a crime infested pool full of trash. I have met a few people from Aspen and no, thank you.

Someone said that FL is ugly, flat and boring (in this thread). They obviously never stepped outside of their home - the state is beautiful. If you actually take the time to go places - you will realize that the state is not only the 20 miles of coastline, it has ranches, horses, cows, forests, rivers, hills.... Where else can you paddle for a month (like Everglades) or chill out living the island lifestyle (like the Keys), go ride a horse for days (like Ocala or Appalachicola or Osceola), bike across the state for days etc.?

Having lived around the world and across various states - I can honestly say FL is one of the places that truly grows on you. Conversely, it NEVER grows on some people.

Good luck in "sterile" Aspen.
I totally agree. I am a FL native, been all over the US and seen some beautiful places, but at the end of the day, there is no state I find more beautiful than Florida. And it truly is diverse and interesting, not "flat and boring". People who say that have never been out of their mole hole I think. And as much as I love the beautiful Florida coastline, I have to say that I really do LOVE parts of the interior - especially along the Lake Wales Ridge - beautiful hills and lakes around there.

I really hate how this state is becoming overpopulated, so I am glad there are people who hate it and plan on leaving, can't come soon enough for me. Leave it for those of us who appreciate what a jewel it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida