Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 06:04 AM

243 posts, read 1,096,919 times

Advertisements

South FL has the best winters in North America period. Hands down. SoCal's avg. daytime winter temps are around 60, that's chilly folks. Summers are hot here like everywhere else in North America, unless you're in Lake Tahoe or Aspen or Yellowstone. Residents of Jackson, WY have told me of getting 40 below there in the winter, thanks I'll deal with the summers here (perfect beach and watersports weather) and look foward to winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2006, 06:13 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,404,946 times
60 degrees is not chilly, it is nice.

SoCal has the best weather in America, hands down. Pac Northwest is up there as well, except for the rain. Summers are wonderful though.

Old 09-25-2006, 07:21 AM

243 posts, read 1,096,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
60 degrees is not chilly, it is nice.

SoCal has the best weather in America, hands down. Pac Northwest is up there as well, except for the rain. Summers are wonderful though.

60 is nice? You gotta stay out of the water and then put on shoes and a shirt, maybe even wear pants for that! The horror! The Artic Circle starts north of I-4.

Old 09-25-2006, 08:21 AM

566 posts, read 2,058,380 times
Somebody mentioned here about the thought of changing their unit... one might save $50 to $70 a month...if your unit is pre 1993, it might be worth to consider switching. Even the old freon is not used anymore...even in cars. Also, as time goes on there are very little tiny leaks that occur that are not visible to the human eye. We prolonged our old clunker, though looking back we should have switched to a newer unit - this new one, is doing a marvelous job at cooling & savings - and we did away with the old manual temperature dial while we were at it and put in the automatic programmable kind-with the LCD display - can be bought anywhere. Great little gadget & not expensive...I think ours cost $20 at home depot.
The most important part is to remember to play accordingly with the outside temperature...if one goes off to work & it's 90 outside and you put it and the seemingly high 82-85 it's still going to kick-in during the day & keep your house cool. If it's 82-85 outside then it's not, then you'd have to set it at about 78-80, get the picture?? It's a game...& has to be adjusted accordingly depending on the weather outside.

Last edited by lulu; 09-25-2006 at 08:30 AM..

Old 09-25-2006, 08:23 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,404,946 times
I am starting to think that staying in the sun all day does more than cause weathered skin and cancer.

Old 09-25-2006, 10:23 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,083,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
Dude! 50??????!!!!!!
Dear LORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Heat TO 50???????!!!!!!!!
If my house were EVER 50 degrees INSIDE I would be DEAD!!!!!!!!
I have heard from someone who lives in FAIRBANKS that they heat the house to 70!
70 is a normal indoor temp by ANYONE'S standards!!!!!!!!
Sure some prefer it cooler, & some warmer (like ME!!!), but I don't think ANYONE would complain about a 70 degree INDOOR temp!!! 50 indoors is good for a morgue!!!

LOL you wont freeze, your husband will cuddle with you to keep you warm
I dont think your house will ever reach 50, Miami is warm! I am in PBC and when it gets 40 outside, its 60-62 inside because the house insulates and the lights inside heat it a bit. Wow Fairbanks! Doesnt it get to like -40 outside? That intense cold is dangerous! Is the heater even capable of heating to 70 when its -40 outside? Ill be happy to heat from -40 to +40!
I prefer an indoor temp of 75 to 77 but I like going shirtless indoors, makes me feel at home! I guess I would wear long sleeve shirt and long pants in 50 degrees but id be saving like $200 a month on heat! Thats alotta money, ya know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie8689 View Post
Too funny! Totally rolling over here, really!! Obviously, Need Affordable hasn't lived in a state where the temps go way low so he can't know that keeping your thermostat at 50, is, well, ridiculous. Visiting places only once doesn't really tell a true story of beautiful weather, all the time, either.
It is also obvious that the mind is set to not pay "big bucks" for a/c and he will keep his heat low and wear lots of clothes.

Well, good. All I can say is b'bye and good luck For me, who isn't old but love the heat AND do not mind the humidity, sans bad hair sometimes will live to enjoy what we are here for, without being critized for it, a/c and all, thank you!

Being in Florida all my life, I lack resisance to cold. I have friends that live up north and they say the cold isnt really a big deal and think im crazy for cooking myself in the Florida heat! How long does it take to build immunity to cold so you wont feel cold in 50 degrees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy164 View Post
Enjoyed both your responses, Ladies.
Need_afordable_home--I've spent far less on a/c down here than I did on heat in Ohio and I usually kept my place at 68 degrees. When snow is on the ground it creates such a damp chill in the air that you just can't seem to get warm enough. And even with the heat on I dressed in layers (which BTW meant the added expense of winter clothes.) I wish you well in WV! I just prefer the weather here. I don't like to shiver!!

What kind of heating? Theres gas, electric and wood(fireplace)
Ohio is colder than WV. I have a friend in WV and he says the winters are mild, not much snow and the slight cold doesnt bother him and that ill soon get used to it. I might need to heat to 60 initially but as I get used to it, I wont need to spend so much on heat and lower to 50, 45 even! Maybe wont even need heat if its not so cold. If the winters are 20 degrees, indoors should be in the low 40s and my bedroom may be 50 with the computer(s) and light on which act to heat the room. In Florida without a/c my bedroom can get to 85 degrees because of the light and computer!

Tons and tons of people live in cooler climates and pay a fortune. Think of all the New Yorkers! Even Maine, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho can cost $80-100 a square foot of house! Texas would be cheaper than that, yet they choose it over Texas!

Old 09-25-2006, 11:05 PM

26 posts, read 84,082 times
Default a/c

I just forked out $530 on my electric bill two months in a row in CA. It is still hot here during the day and just by chance no breeze tonight. My home is 2601 sq. ft.- two story. Did they raise the rates for electricity in TN too? We just had a rate increase... that will take effect next month. It is killing me!!!

Old 09-26-2006, 05:31 AM

91 posts, read 336,911 times
I lived in NJ and NEPA and I never got used the the cold. I grew up on the Jersey shore which didn't snow much but the wind off the ocean would take your breath away. NEPA was very cold, wind chills well down into the negatives and snow measured in feet, not inches. The costs were amazing!! People are looking to use coal or wood. They have pellets that are made from recycled materials, but I don't know much about them. All I know is that the costs went up so dramatically these past couple of years, it is really tough to live there, especially for the elderly and/or folks on fixed incomes. I don't really think and I don't know for sure,so forgive my ignorance, of anywhere, that will not need some form of temperature control, be it a/c or heat, anytime of the year. It's just where there is more or less of one or the other. For me, I choose more heat only because it really hurts my bones to be that cold! I hope I am never that cold again!!

Old 09-26-2006, 05:58 AM

480 posts, read 2,828,984 times
Give me cold any time. I can't stand the heat. Retire and move to Florida? Not on a bet. Go North young man.

Old 09-26-2006, 01:17 PM

302 posts, read 1,049,443 times
I'm here in NY now and it 65 degrees outside. Beautiful temp. I'm enjoying the cool weather, some autumn colors, pumpkins, and rolling hills. Not a palm tree, fire ant, or standing traffic anywhere!! I'm very sad to return tomarrow to Orlando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida