Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 09:35 AM

628 posts, read 1,834,758 times

Advertisements

However know this. You will need to heat your home, you will need to buy several sets of seasonal clothing – a set for work (assuming you have a job) a set for working inside and out like when it snows and you have to shovel – a set for leisure and of course you can’t wear the same set every day so you need multiples of each.

You will need to prepare for each season and its weather. Snow shovels - rock salt - deicer - tape and plastic covering for your windows to keep the heat in - extra insulation - furnace maintenance and the list goes on.

I venture to say that just the additional clothing you will need to live in a colder climate will more than make up for your discomfort or additional a/c charges.

Last edited by Shores9; 03-05-2007 at 10:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2007, 09:47 AM

23 posts, read 111,774 times
I'm with you Shores9. I'm looking forward to leave behind all my winter clothes, shovels, salt, etc... Even the new snow plow that my husband bought for his truck. But mainly I'm ready to leave behind my HEATING BILL that compared to an A/C bill the a/c will be nothing. I will be moving to Florida like in a year or two to Kissimmee or Saint Cloud, and I can't wait. By the way I'm from North Jersey.

Old 03-05-2007, 09:53 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,451,343 times
Shores, good topic. May I add that you will need long john tops and bottoms, coveralls, a snow blower, studded snow tires in some areas, a blade for the front of your 4X4 would come in handy, too. Of course you'll need sweatshirts and sweaters (Unless you break out from sweaters like I do) flannel shirts, etc. Plenty of ice melt like you mentioned. Remember to get your car winterized or you'll have a frozen block and be sure you have a good battery. Oh yea, and don't forget the ice chipper. Be prepared for repairs on your snow blower and keep in mind that although places sell snow blowers, they don't normally have parts on hand and it may take a week to get them so keep those shovels nearby. (You can talk to my husband about that situation) We just had a total of 17 inches of snow and a blizzard so these things are definitely fresh in my mind. It looked like spring was heading our direction now, but this morning they just predicted a chance of sleet and freezing rain for us. Winter isn't fun and when you get to thinking about it, it's expensive. We have a small home now so we can manage with our heat bills, but we have friends who stil have their larger homes and they're paying between 400 and 500 a month right now to heat their homes. AWWWW, Florida sounds better every day.

NJ, we were posting at the same time. I'm with you, Florida may have it's problems, but the North isn't fun to live in all the time either. We will be moving in about a year from now, too and not to far from your area. Lake County is our choice~just not sure which city yet.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:46 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,597,924 times
Long johns?!? a bit far but original poster is correct.

look at it this way. No matter where you live some part of the weather stinks. In FL its summer. up north its winter. In CA its fire season and though its not weather, earthquakes.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:51 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,240,440 times
Don't forget an insulated coverall and a flap hat!

Old 03-05-2007, 10:55 AM

PS you can turn the a/c/ off if you desire and not have to worry. Try turning off the heat and having a cold shower or worse the pipes burst.

Jammie and NJ - I hope the time goes by quickly for you both until you get here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
We just had a total of 17 inches of snow and a blizzard so these things are definitely fresh in my mind. It looked like spring was heading our direction now, but this morning they just predicted a chance of sleet and freezing rain for us. Winter isn't fun and when you get to thinking about it, it's expensive.
I remember every time we got 2-4 inched or more the county plows would come by and the mound of snow at the end of our driveway was about a foot high. You’d go out and shovel it only to have a plow come by again and push more snow back. Forget if you get a real storm with 10-12+ inches or more and if your car was on the street you might know where it was but you might not see it because it was entirely covered – literally plowed-in.

One more thought – try tapping the brakes on ice only to have that helpless sickening feeling in the pit of your stomach as you head for a utility pole!!!

Old 03-05-2007, 11:20 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,267,642 times
You folks must all live on my street! LOL

BTW if anybody needs any of these items, we're selling almost everything listed above. GOod prices.

Oh, and after the plow dumps that snow at the end of the drive, it's compacted, so it weighs at least twice as much as the snow in the drive. LL Bean makes great winter gear. You might want to check out the Mad Bomber Hats. Really high fashion for the Northeasterner.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:36 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,155,272 times
Smile I Agree!

I agree with you! Move already! Of course the biggest thing I can't wait to get rid of is my heating bill - it jumped $70 in the past month. Next on my list would be the several sets of clothing and all the stuff we need - salt, de-icer, etc. All the stuff everyone has already mentioned. Oh yeah, the day after the Valentine's Day storm I came home to about 2 inch thickness of ice on the steps leading up to my door. Yeah that was fun. Holding onto the railing sliding the whole way up because there wasn't even any snow for traction. Picture Joe Pesci in the first Home Alone after the stairs were watered down. That was me.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:36 AM

23 posts, read 111,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shores9 View Post
PS you can turn the a/c/ off if you desire and not have to worry. Try turning off the heat and having a cold shower or worse the pipes burst.

Jammie and NJ - I hope the time goes by quickly for you both until you get here
And of course the furnace brake-down on the most freezing day and you call the Oil or Gas company and they said, Oh! we have too many service calls today and we can't be there until 2 days

In Florida the A/C brake-down, you open the windows and turn on the fan and you can survive until it is repaired.

Every place have weather problems, but I prefer to deal with warm weather than cold weather.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
I agree with you! Move already! Of course the biggest thing I can't wait to get rid of is my heating bill - it jumped $70 in the past month. Next on my list would be the several sets of clothing and all the stuff we need - salt, de-icer, etc. All the stuff everyone has already mentioned. Oh yeah, the day after the Valentine's Day storm I came home to about 2 inch thickness of ice on the steps leading up to my door. Yeah that was fun. Holding onto the railing sliding the whole way up because there wasn't even any snow for traction. Picture Joe Pesci in the first Home Alone after the stairs were watered down. That was me.
I had to laugh - sorry not at you but I remember those time that no matter how hard you tried (unless you took 20 minutes) you were going down. Real great for the back!! Don't seem to have those problems in the sand!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida