Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 11:28 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,538,684 times

Advertisements

Tallrick,
your house sounds like a place i'd love to see......isn't it great to have your "fingerprint" on a home? There is quite a lot of satisfaction on knowing where every wire, stud, nail is, etc......things that you were picky about that no one will ever see, but you know you went the extra mile and built it in a way you can be proud of.

My wife and I designed and built our own home....it has a lot of neat thngs, like in floor radiant heat, automatic generator system, computer controlled skylights that close automatically when the first drop of rain hits them, two weatherproof ways into the basement, all oak doors and trim, 17' ceilings, nice master bedroom suite with whirlpool tub for two concrete fruit cellar, huge two level all vinyl deck to a 30' dug into the ground pool, fruit orchard, big 28x40 garage with side 9x7 garage door for mower, etc,etc.

It will be hard to leave it but my last son will be in college this fall, and in a few years it may seem too big for us. We are looking forward to WARM.

I took a few pics just now of the snow, so you guys will know what you are missing........

i'll post them in a minute. I can't wait to get down to Florida and do some fixing for people......maybe even some mowing or some power washing.

I will miss a basement......I think we will love our new house, but if not, I'd love to just build again........looks like with prices the way they are down there, I could again save a lot of money building myself.....we will see.

Frank D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 11:29 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,720,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Yet none of you have to worry about hurricanes. The heat is releneless for 6 months in Florida, and dominates for 3 more. Only 3 months of warm/cool weather and this season I have counted only 23 days with highs less than 78 degrees. Only 14 days so far where I did not have to use a fan. Air conditioning does you no good when you go outside.
But when you go outside during those hot months, you don't have the danger of falling on the ice and breaking a bone or two. You don't risk frostbite because you didn't wear enough layers of clothing. You don't have to "shovel the heat" to paraphrase another poster. You don't have to deal with "Black Ice" which is when it rains then freezes afterwards making the roads hazardous. Your buildings don't have huge pieces of ice attached to them that could fall and kill someone without warning.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Yup,

Frank D.
Frank D., your new home looks beautiful! I'll take all Palm trees instead of Pines! That is my dream!!

Old 03-06-2007, 11:35 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,128,548 times
frank both houses are great
lol I was thinking we all need to buy the house up north and can go there during the sumer.
My husband dabbles in woodworking when he is not "computering" so I can appreciate the details you have added to your home.

ooo can I come to the party ????

cant wait to see the snow pictures

karla

Old 03-06-2007, 11:37 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,164,696 times
Frank you should have moved the NY to Florida!

Yep. We're going to have to rent a bus to surprise Frank and wife with a nice welcome. I'll take the chocolates!

Old 03-06-2007, 11:40 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,538,684 times
Well, it warmed up to 7 degrees and dispite the rare showing of Sun, it was still cold......

Maybe I'll start a new thread.....I do not want to steal another person's thread.....

Frank D.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Well, it warmed up to 7 degrees and dispite the rare showing of Sun, it was still cold......

Frank D.
That looks all too familiar.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:50 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,164,696 times
OK Frank. Thanks. One snow pic is enough. Cured.

Karla.... COME ON DOWNNNNNNNNN

Old 03-06-2007, 11:58 AM

58 posts, read 182,370 times
I feel sick. You need a warning for that one!

Hey, I notice a little snow melting on the old roof type. You must have cathedral ceileings. You lose a lot of heat in that house I bet. I don't want to know your heating or AC bill!

Old 03-06-2007, 12:02 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,219,211 times
I'm totally down with the road trip to Frank's place. He could have a housewarming party and we could all bring hurricane supplies!

That snow pix is too much! I got on this site when considering a move to a northern city. Looks beautiful, but all the anecdotes give the other side of the story. brrr... I've got my windows open today and it's gorgeous.

And here is a pix of Singer Island, hometown of a poster looking to move north....as they say, guess that's why there's chocolate and vanilla!

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w76/kshellyflorida/singerisland.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida