Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 10:28 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,788,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalisterKaley View Post
this is the sillest thing i have ever seen -WHO CAN LIVE WITHOUT AC IN FLA? You can if you are taking painkillers and sleep all day

no if you live out west in texas/ az/ seattle /etc you dont need all that

you think the USA is only the midwest and new england - snow country? how about the west? how about the deep south ? how about the pacific northwest?

maybe you need to get out more

have you ever lived out west?

the snow NEVER gets like
that its sunny, no hurricanes less bugs, cheaper cost of living

no wonder wyoming is one of the states with the highest home price appreciation in the usa. same for arizona, co, wa, oregon, etc
Um - exCUSE me???!!! I lived in Colorado Springs for 6.5 years - and I do believe that's west if I'm not mistaken...
Yes, it certainly DOES/DID look like that ALOT!!!
So I don't know where in WY you are, or how long you've been there, but if you're 6,000 ft up in The Rockies, YES it sure does look a helluva lot like that picture, yes indeed!
Take it light!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 11:44 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,436,311 times
I've lived right next to Wyo. my entire life and believe me, they can get some snowfalls just like we can. And where did you hear about Wyoming's high home appreciation?

Old 03-09-2007, 12:34 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,083,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
I've lived right next to Wyo. my entire life and believe me, they can get some snowfalls just like we can. And where did you hear about Wyoming's high home appreciation?

Then I bet you enjoyed the 50 degree weather, you are getting the good weather now! I am hot, its 80 in my room with the window open! Grrrrrrrr your lucky

Old 03-09-2007, 05:24 AM

467 posts, read 1,691,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
That is your choice. I want a balanced 4 seasons as do 80% of others. This is why I would rather be somewhere like NC or TN than FL or TX. North FL has less of those miserable summers and what the northerns call "spring"

If a/c wasnt invented, I wouldnt live in FL for free, I probably would die from the heat. Extreme cold can be dangerous but where ill be relocating to will have mild winters and very rarely will temperatures drop below 10. Those who complain of the harsh, cold winters live far north like Maine or Minnesota. Winters a little further south are not half as bad.

Ive been to WY twice in the summer and let me tell you it gets pretty cold even midsummer. We saw snow once while in the tour bus. I really wished the bus would stop so we could play in the snow. The locals I talk to say it snows occasionally in the summer and you dont even want to be there in the winter

Can rain for 10 minutes or 10 hours, its up to mother nature
yes it is my choice.....its all about choice. you may really like 4 seasons...i do not. for me its better here. and 65-70 degress (my winter) is a northeast spring, if you know where northeast is). i got my long summers and short spring. I wish you all the best with your seasons and I hope as much as you that you are able to make it happen soon.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:59 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,111,194 times
Quote:
If a/c wasnt invented, I wouldnt live in FL for free,
ummm
if A/C wasn't invented you wouldn't know any other way of life

Old 03-09-2007, 06:41 AM

467 posts, read 1,691,450 times
nah: If a/c wasnt invented, I wouldnt live in FL for free, I probably would die from the heat. Extreme cold can be dangerous but where ill be relocating to will have mild winters and very rarely will temperatures drop below 10. Those who complain of the harsh, cold winters live far north like Maine or Minnesota. Winters a little further south are not half as bad.

what exactly do you consider "a little" farther south? do you think you have to get as far as maine to get 10 degrees?

Old 03-09-2007, 07:14 AM

177 posts, read 684,233 times
[quote=Need_affordable_home;439393]

If a/c wasnt invented, I wouldnt live in FL for free, I probably would die from the heat. Extreme cold can be dangerous but where ill be relocating to will have mild winters and very rarely will temperatures drop below 10. Those who complain of the harsh, cold winters live far north like Maine or Minnesota. Winters a little further south are not half as bad.

I live in Lancaster, Pa, not far above the Mason-Dixon Line. Yesterday morning it was 4 degrees when we woke up, not an uncommon occurence here in the winter. Daytime temps in winter usually are 20 to 35 degrees but the wind almost alwways blows creating uncomfortable wind chills.
Last month when we went to Fla., we stayed in Salisbury MD and it was 12 degrees when left there that monring. The following night we stayed in southern South Carolina. The temperature was about 24 when we left. On the way up, we stayed in Buford, Ga. The am temp was in the 20s
My point is that you don't have to be in Maine or Minnesota to have a cold winter. The last few winters, except for last December, have been very cold and uncomfortable. You may want to stay a little further below the Mason Dixon line.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:21 AM

131 posts, read 1,034,402 times
I grew up in a house without A/C, in Florida.

We would open the windows and use these things called "fans" to keep cool throughout the day and evening. We'd also play in the hose or swim in anything deeper then 6".

I'm sure growing up like that is one of the reasons I'm comfortable with the heat now. I do know that I don't tolerate cold well at all.

I guess it just boils down to what you're used to.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:40 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,083,146 times
I always had a/c and I am fortunate that a/c was invented before I was born. I cant imagine being in a hot climate for life without a/c. Even going without a/c for 10 days due to hurricane was unberable. I guess I dont tolerate heat well.

How bout we go by average winter lows, not "omg its never been this cold before" temperatures? Oil city winters 34/16 average. Parkersburg 39/22.
I could live in Texas if cold was such a problem but ill melt in the summer! Ideally I would like to live at AR, TN, NC latitudes but if the crime is higher and id be looking at a shack, no way will I be willing for that when I can live further up north in very low crime and get a nice big house instead of a shack.

I think some of you put too much emphasis on weather. If everything was equal then yes ill take the milder winters but the lowest crime and best house deals happen to be found north. Actually some cities up north arent cheap, my parents lived in Toronto and its cold and expensive!

Old 03-09-2007, 07:56 AM

177 posts, read 684,233 times
Quote:
I always had a/c and I am fortunate that a/c was invented before I was born. I cant imagine being in a hot climate for life without a/c. Even going without a/c for 10 days due to hurricane was unberable. I guess I dont tolerate heat well.

How bout we go by average winter lows, not "omg its never been this cold before" temperatures? Oil city winters 34/16 average. Parkersburg 39/22.
I could live in Texas if cold was such a problem but ill melt in the summer! Ideally I would like to live at AR, TN, NC latitudes but if the crime is higher and id be looking at a shack, no way will I be willing for that when I can live further up north in very low crime and get a nice big house instead of a shack.

I think some of you put too much emphasis on weather. If everything was equal then yes ill take the milder winters but the lowest crime and best house deals happen to be found north. Actually some cities up north arent cheap, my parents lived in Toronto and its cold and expensive!

Average means that 50% of the temps are above the average and 50% are below the average. On average 15 days of the winter months in those areas would be below 16 or 22 while daytimes highs would be lower than 39 or 34. That can be pretty bone chilling. That doesn't appear to take in the effect of the wind which seems to blow all the time.
But, as I was forcefully told on another Florida thread, temperature and humidity averages don't tell the full story about the weather in a given area. You have to live there and really experience the weather for a period of time to fully understand how it is.
I was told that I should not disregard the information that those who live in an area are posting. If the statistics are such a variance with the experience of the residents of an area, maybe you should not be placing so much reliance on them.
Us northerners put so much emphasis on the weather because the weather is the primary reason for our relocating to Florida. Florida has the weather we crave, the tax situation is friendly to seniors, the homes are not priced any higher than other areas being considered and the cost of living is lower than most desireable areas in the north. Everything else being equal, Florida's weather is what we are looking for. We have lived in the areas where we suffered through the winters and we are tired of the cold, snow and ice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida