Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 10:51 AM

177 posts, read 684,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
If weather was stable and predictable (ie. smooth distribution), yes. But because weather is volatile and unpredicatable, no. I'm not trying to pick on you. I just want people to have the correct information. Median and average are different, especially when you're looking at incomes.

You're right. I guess that what I'm trying to is that because of weather volatility, averages and medians can sometimes lead people to believe that it is not as cold or as hot and as uncomfortable as it actually can be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
You should be able to get a mobile home for $50k almost anywhere. If you want Florida, theres lots of cheap land in north FL with a mobile home on it for $50k. If youd rather have a condo or small house, try looking into Texas. I dont tolerate heat well so im looking to move up north, you have the opposite problem
To be honest, I have not seen a manufactured home that I would live in for less than $80,000. I have seen a number of older mobile homes (i.e. trailers) for less than $50,000 and I wouldn't live in them. They are not built to today's standards and I don't consider them safe, especially in a hurricane prone area like Florida.
The same goes for houses. I have not seen anything under $150,000 that I would live in either. In my experience, the quality of life that I want and the type of area that I want to live in can't be found for $50,000.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:17 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Yes, it's beautiful here right now. Our days will be about 50 to 60 and our nights will only be a bit below freezing with some future nights being in the 40's Hot Springs has been having 60 and 70 degree days for a while now, but they're in the banana belt. I'll bet you would love this weather so come on up. We have room for some more people up here.

I mean no disrespect to the people from Arkansas, but you need to do extensive research before moving there. Unless you're in one of the more populated areas, you may be an outcast. There are parts of the country that don't welcome you unless your great great great grandparents were born there.
Me and dad are sweating and stubbon dad refuses to turn the a/c on its 80.5 in my room with the window open. Same temperature outside. I really am dreading the summers with the 95 degree I enjoyed good weather for 2 months now its your turn to enjoy good weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by watsont3 View Post
To be honest, I have not seen a manufactured home that I would live in for less than $80,000. I have seen a number of older mobile homes (i.e. trailers) for less than $50,000 and I wouldn't live in them. They are not built to today's standards and I don't consider them safe, especially in a hurricane prone area like Florida.
The same goes for houses. I have not seen anything under $150,000 that I would live in either. In my experience, the quality of life that I want and the type of area that I want to live in can't be found for $50,000.

Not in Florida but elsewhere it can. Can get a very nice 2/2 condo for $50k in Texas. Your home state, Pennsylvania has several cities with nice big $50k houses.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:41 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,785,113 times
Default Other issues?

Quote:
NAH: Have fun in Florida! Bring lots of sunblock so you wont burn as bad. Also bring lots of towels, youll be dripping with sweat from the heat, especially if you exert yourself. I have golfed before but found it too hot to golf long, the heat makes me tired. A high of 40 is normal in early spring. Just wait till April, you will have the good 50-60 degree weather while I suffer in the 85 degree heat. Maybe I am just meant to be in cooler weather if I was feeling great when it was 55 outside with the window open. When I woke in the morning I felt very hot for about half hour even though it was 73 in my room, window open, fan spinning. Its getting hot again, 78 degrees in my room and thats with the window open
NAH -- I know that you frequently talk about how hot Florida is and the sweat and how difficult it is to walk around or do things in the heat, and I am wondering if maybe there is a medical condition you may have that prevents you from tolerating heat, or getting the exercise you may need???

I have a friend who had a medical condition that made her extremely uncomfortable in heat. She was very heavy at one point (100 pounds overweight) and lost it, and after her weight loss she was able to tolerate heat and temperature changes -- but prior to that, she had a horrible time -- and this was in the northeast (WNY around where Frank is)! Now she lives in Seattle and loves it, and she also has other medical conditions now that she is older and the northwest is good for her.

I am from the northeast/Buffalo area, originally, and I know how cold it is, how much work there is to do with shoveling, or scraping windows, hauling bags of salt around, keeping kitty litter in the trunk for icy patches on the road, snow blowers, etc. It's a lot of work in the winter...not to mention it's COLD!

It sounds like perhaps you are seeking an area with culture and things to do, but also want good weather. (For some reason you are eliminating NC and those areas due to crime, etc., but there must be some appealing areas near there that might work?)

Another poster mentioned the Northwest and Oregon and those are very good places! I lived in Seattle for five years and the weather is actually temperate -- pretty much in the 50-60 degree range year-round. Or what about the Eureka, California area which is also very temperate year-round but less expensive than most places in Calfiornia?

Colorado also has really nice weather -- if you are not directly in the ski areas, but more on the front range (Colorado Springs, Boulder, Ft. Collins, etc.) -- the snow melts very quickly, and it is much more tolerable than the northeast.

It just sounds to me like there may be some other issues going on that you are not revealing because so many other people seem to be contradicting your opinion about the heat there. I'm just curious about that because it really IS cold and there ARE LONG, LONG winters in the northeast, and if you're worried about crime in the south, then that's off your list, and Oil City, somehow that does not seem like the center of culture to me......

I think you have been given some very good advice, and maybe you may want to try subletting an apartment for awhile in a place you might want to try, or even house exchanges in other parts of the country. And consider the Northwest, because that area may be much more comfortable for you.

I don't know, it just sounds like the extreme way you describe your discomfort with the heat and sweating that maybe there are other things to look at besides a different location. What do your parents think of your moving north to escape Florida? Maybe they have some suggestions for helping you to adjust there, or know of other places farther north that would be comfortable for you.

Good luck!

Old 03-09-2007, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Not in Florida but elsewhere it can. Can get a very nice 2/2 condo for $50k in Texas. Your home state, Pennsylvania has several cities with nice big $50k houses.
In Lancaster City, you may get a row home for maybe 70 to 80K but you better take a good look at the neighborhood.
In York, Reading, Erie and many other cities you may find the same thing but check the crime in the area. Also the check out the economy and tax burden.
You may find that you are comfortable with that kind of life but I don't want to live in those kinds of areas.
Good luck on your search and I hope that you find what you are looking for.
Incidently, we have been looking at all the states along the eastern seaboard below the Mason Dixon line. Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama and, of course, Florida. We have spent the last 10 years taking trips to all of these places. As I said, I have not seen any places in the price range you keep insisting are available that I would even consider.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:51 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
Need_affordable_home;440811]Me and dad are sweating and stubbon dad refuses to turn the a/c on its 80.5 in my room with the window open. Same temperature outside. I really am dreading the summers with the 95 degree I enjoyed good weather for 2 months now its your turn to enjoy good weather

Maybe your dad is trying to get you to leave the nest.

Why don't you offer to pay the utility bill so that you will be more comfortable?

Old 03-10-2007, 02:11 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,027 times
NAH - I believe I've suggested this to you before, but why don't you NOT open the windows???!!! I mean, I don't wanna "duh!" you or anything, but that actually makes it HOTTER when it's above 70 &/or humid out!!!
We NEVER open our windows!!! The doors sometimes for cross ventilation when it's COOL out! If you turn on your ac just to drop it a bit & then leave the windows CLOSED, the cool will stay trapped. Just like after the hurricanes! If you opened your window the second your power went out, sorry to say, but you caused your own misery! You need to wait til it's actually hotter inside than out to open the window! If it's 80 in your house (which is bizarre!) then you KNOW it's ABOVE 80 OUT! So don't open the window! Run a fan! Or your dang ac! Man, what's up with that???!!! Our absolute HIGHEST bill EVER was 250$! I assume both your parents work? I mean, that's really not that bad! Just turn on your ac at about 77/78 on automatic so the fan doesn't keep running (I assume everyone knows this?) & run a ceiling fan! Also, close the vents in the rooms you're not in! It's really not that freakin expensive unless you keep it at 75 or lower! Maybe YOU like it like that, but isn't 78 better than 80? Dude!!!

Old 03-10-2007, 04:39 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
NAH -- I know that you frequently talk about how hot Florida is and the sweat and how difficult it is to walk around or do things in the heat, and I am wondering if maybe there is a medical condition you may have that prevents you from tolerating heat, or getting the exercise you may need???

I have a friend who had a medical condition that made her extremely uncomfortable in heat. She was very heavy at one point (100 pounds overweight) and lost it, and after her weight loss she was able to tolerate heat and temperature changes -- but prior to that, she had a horrible time -- and this was in the northeast (WNY around where Frank is)! Now she lives in Seattle and loves it, and she also has other medical conditions now that she is older and the northwest is good for her.

Im underweight actually. Is it normal to be hot if its 80 degrees in my room or outside in the sun without a breeze? 80 is bad but not terrible. I am going to greatly suffer in the summer! Really hope I can move out by then, summers up north are like 10 degees cooler and less humid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watsont3 View Post
In Lancaster City, you may get a row home for maybe 70 to 80K but you better take a good look at the neighborhood.
In York, Reading, Erie and many other cities you may find the same thing but check the crime in the area. Also the check out the economy and tax burden.
You may find that you are comfortable with that kind of life but I don't want to live in those kinds of areas.
Good luck on your search and I hope that you find what you are looking for.
Incidently, we have been looking at all the states along the eastern seaboard below the Mason Dixon line. Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama and, of course, Florida. We have spent the last 10 years taking trips to all of these places. As I said, I have not seen any places in the price range you keep insisting are available that I would even consider.

Wouldnt be interested then. Crime is a big concern for me and one thing that makes Oil city desirable(for me) is the below average crime. What did you find in those 10 years? Which states were most affordable with least crime? How much $$$$ or how rich would I need to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post

Maybe your dad is trying to get you to leave the nest.

Why don't you offer to pay the utility bill so that you will be more comfortable?

already paid with the earnings I made when I had a part time job. Our a/c bill is $400 a month, I could be getting a mortgage for less than that up north. This is why I am dying(literally) to get outta here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
NAH - I believe I've suggested this to you before, but why don't you NOT open the windows???!!! I mean, I don't wanna "duh!" you or anything, but that actually makes it HOTTER when it's above 70 &/or humid out!!!
We NEVER open our windows!!! The doors sometimes for cross ventilation when it's COOL out! If you turn on your ac just to drop it a bit & then leave the windows CLOSED, the cool will stay trapped. Just like after the hurricanes! If you opened your window the second your power went out, sorry to say, but you caused your own misery! You need to wait til it's actually hotter inside than out to open the window! If it's 80 in your house (which is bizarre!) then you KNOW it's ABOVE 80 OUT! So don't open the window! Run a fan! Or your dang ac! Man, what's up with that???!!! Our absolute HIGHEST bill EVER was 250$! I assume both your parents work? I mean, that's really not that bad! Just turn on your ac at about 77/78 on automatic so the fan doesn't keep running (I assume everyone knows this?) & run a ceiling fan! Also, close the vents in the rooms you're not in! It's really not that freakin expensive unless you keep it at 75 or lower! Maybe YOU like it like that, but isn't 78 better than 80? Dude!!!

It has to be no warmer than 65 outside for me to be comfortable with the cool air comming thru the windows. I will still need a/c in the summer up north but my bill will be a fraction of down here in FL plus I wont be as hot. You tolerate heat very well and you like being hot and sweaty.

Old 03-10-2007, 05:32 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
Quote:

already paid with the earnings I made when I had a part time job. Our a/c bill is $400 a month, I could be getting a mortgage for less than that up north. This is why I am dying(literally) to get outta here!
Why not get another part-time job? That may be another solution for you. One that would meet three of your goals.

It would put you in an environment that is comfortably air conditioned. If you worked the day shift, it would get you out of the house during the warmest times.

It would provide you with funds to make monthly contributions to the utility bill.

It would give you more money to save toward the move.

You would be great in a Barnes and Noble or Books A Milion. You have an interest in a number of topics and you are skilled at online research, so if someone is looking for a book on a certain topic, you could provide them with useful information, vs just pointing toward a particular section. There are a couple of folks at my B & N that I actually seek out when looking for a book on a subject because I know that they will really try to help me. Even if they know nothing about the topic, they go online and get me info.

It seems that there are two kinds of people that work in the larger book stores. Those with a love of books and learning and the "bodies" that are hired when they can't find the first kind. You would be an asset.

I am certain that if you went in and explained that you are looking for part-time employment to supplement your fledgling graphic arts business, you'd be snapped up in a minute.

And, a fourth positive to this idea is that it would get you out of the house and thinking of other things. I know that when I dwell on things that bother me (heat, in your case), they tend to magnify, their significance in my life playing a larger role. That old "accentuate the positive" song is running through my head!

I think you would really like it. And if not, well, that's just one thing that you tried and can cross off your list.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:24 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:

This is why I am dying(literally) to get outta here!

What do you mean by this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida