Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 08:04 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,088,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by watsont3 View Post
Average means that 50% of the temps are above the average and 50% are below the average. On average 15 days of the winter months in those areas would be below 16 or 22 while daytimes highs would be lower than 39 or 34. That can be pretty bone chilling. That doesn't appear to take in the effect of the wind which seems to blow all the time.
But, as I was forcefully told on another Florida thread, temperature and humidity averages don't tell the full story about the weather in a given area. You have to live there and really experience the weather for a period of time to fully understand how it is.
I was told that I should not disregard the information that those who live in an area are posting. If the statistics are such a variance with the experience of the residents of an area, maybe you should not be placing so much reliance on them.

You are right, I have no idea what this type of cold feels like but I can deal with it and acclimate to it. I know there are locations that are much colder than the northeast. I dont like this south Florida heat but some people are going to move here anyway and find out for themselves what 10 month of heat feels like. Hey if I am miserable living up north, I can always be a "halfback" only way to find out is to move to location X and stay there for at least 2 years to get a feel for the local climate. If I dont mind it good. If I do, ill relocate again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 08:35 AM

628 posts, read 1,834,758 times
NAN –
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I have no idea what this type of cold feels like but I can deal with it and acclimate to it.
You don’t know what you don’t know so how do you know you can deal with it?

On the other hand you have reached an amazing moment of clarity…
Quote:
Hey if I am miserable living up north, I can always be a "halfback" only way to find out is to move to location X and stay there for at least 2 years to get a feel for the local climate. If I dont mind it good. If I do, ill relocate again.
This sounds like a great action plan –
In starting this thread I just wanted to say (maybe scream) enough is enough stop talking and start doing. Lots of posters have added their thoughts and I hope it has helped bring you closer to your move

Good Luck

Old 03-09-2007, 08:38 AM

1,247 posts, read 927,096 times
Actually, average does NOT mean 50% above, 50% below. That's the MEDIAN temperature. Average is simply an average. Add up all the temperatures, then divide by the total number of temperatures.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:41 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,217,262 times
Quote:
You are right, I have no idea what this type of cold feels like but I can deal with it and acclimate to it. I know there are locations that are much colder than the northeast. I dont like this south Florida heat but some people are going to move here anyway and find out for themselves what 10 month of heat feels like. Hey if I am miserable living up north, I can always be a "halfback" only way to find out is to move to location X and stay there for at least 2 years to get a feel for the local climate. If I dont mind it good. If I do, ill relocate again.
That's a good attitude to take. I tell my son that if he never tries, he will never know if something is a good idea or not. Very few decisions that we make in life are permanent. And most of those that I have made have given me new perspectives and taken me in directions that I never would have considered. Usually when faced with a big decision, I will ask my self "What's the worst that can happen? as well as, "What's the best that can happen?""

And it sounds like your parents are like mine were- I always had a place to go home to- just having that safety net gave me the confidence to relocate and try things that I probably would not have, if I had no where to land if things didn't work out.

I can see you in Oil city, hunkering down during the winter months and getting your business going full-tilt, then relocating to a more vibrant area in NC. You and your folks could end up half-backing to the same town!

Old 03-09-2007, 09:38 AM

177 posts, read 684,565 times
Quote:

I am sure that you can acclimate to the cold. It never used to bother me that much but as I got older, the cold has really taken a toll on me. The hot weather is better on my joints, I have problems breathing in the extreme cold air and I am getting too old to shovel snow. I am sure that I will acclimate to Florida.
Before my wife was convinced that we should move to Florida, the cold now really bothers her too, I always told that if she didn't like it after a few years, we would look into moving somewhere else. Our other possibility was near Gulf Shores Alabama. My in-laws live in the area and we found a nice affordable place to live but Florida has more to offer. The tax consequences for seniors are actually a little better in Alabama because my in-laws are over 65 and pay no property tax.
Tennessee is a possibiliy but it can get pretty cold there too. I am looking for someplace a little flatter. The Carolinas, Georgia and Virginia are not as tax friendly to seniors. They are also getting quite expensive. You can't even find a decent manufactured home for $50,000.

Old 03-09-2007, 09:41 AM

177 posts, read 684,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
Actually, average does NOT mean 50% above, 50% below. That's the MEDIAN temperature. Average is simply an average. Add up all the temperatures, then divide by the total number of temperatures.
Which I guess would give you about half of them above and half them below the average, wouldn't it?

Old 03-09-2007, 09:43 AM

1,247 posts, read 927,096 times
If weather was stable and predictable (ie. smooth distribution), yes. But because weather is volatile and unpredicatable, no. I'm not trying to pick on you. I just want people to have the correct information. Median and average are different, especially when you're looking at incomes.

Old 03-09-2007, 09:57 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,088,670 times
Quote:
I am sure that you can acclimate to the cold. It never used to bother me that much but as I got older, the cold has really taken a toll on me. The hot weather is better on my joints, I have problems breathing in the extreme cold air and I am getting too old to shovel snow. I am sure that I will acclimate to Florida.
Before my wife was convinced that we should move to Florida, the cold now really bothers her too, I always told that if she didn't like it after a few years, we would look into moving somewhere else. Our other possibility was near Gulf Shores Alabama. My in-laws live in the area and we found a nice affordable place to live but Florida has more to offer. The tax consequences for seniors are actually a little better in Alabama because my in-laws are over 65 and pay no property tax.
Tennessee is a possibiliy but it can get pretty cold there too. I am looking for someplace a little flatter. The Carolinas, Georgia and Virginia are not as tax friendly to seniors. They are also getting quite expensive. You can't even find a decent manufactured home for $50,000.

You should be able to get a mobile home for $50k almost anywhere. If you want Florida, theres lots of cheap land in north FL with a mobile home on it for $50k. If youd rather have a condo or small house, try looking into Texas. I dont tolerate heat well so im looking to move up north, you have the opposite problem

Old 03-09-2007, 09:59 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,195,122 times
Quote:
Which I guess would give you about half of them above and half them below the average, wouldn't it?
No it wouldn't

Old 03-09-2007, 10:32 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,451,343 times
Quote:
Then I bet you enjoyed the 50 degree weather, you are getting the good weather now! I am hot, its 80 in my room with the window open! Grrrrrrrr your lucky
Yes, it's beautiful here right now. Our days will be about 50 to 60 and our nights will only be a bit below freezing with some future nights being in the 40's Hot Springs has been having 60 and 70 degree days for a while now, but they're in the banana belt. I'll bet you would love this weather so come on up. We have room for some more people up here.

I mean no disrespect to the people from Arkansas, but you need to do extensive research before moving there. Unless you're in one of the more populated areas, you may be an outcast. There are parts of the country that don't welcome you unless your great great great grandparents were born there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida