Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 02:20 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,267,642 times

Advertisements

OOO, OOO, OOO! Can I go, too, huh, can I, huh??? Pick me, please!

LOL...enjoy your trip, ekrz. Mine's in less than 2 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 02:28 PM

458 posts, read 599,294 times
I do have to laugh when someone mentions "sunburns" as a reason not to move to Florida. There are dozens and dozens of sunscreens available, some used by pro golfers that have SPFs of 60 plus. Waterproof, all day lasting, non allergenic, non break out causing....you name it.

I somehow think that if pro golfers and tennis players and outdoors people can find a way to prevent sunburn, so can you. The technology is available at CVS.

By the way, ever been out on a snow covered area on a sunny day? You get the direct sun, the reflected sun...and oh yeah, snow blindness burns to your corneas from the glare.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:35 PM

Not to mention windburn...that's always fun.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:53 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,088,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekrz44 View Post
It's going to be "decent" in Chicago this weekend.
Decent meaning in the 40's. However we're supposed to have rain along with that "nice" weather.
It won't matter to me though! Cause guess where I'm going to be at that time and all of next week?
You guessed it! Sunny warm Florida!
Getting about 10 rounds of golf in, some beach time, the usual stroll around Sea World and some family visiting!

Gotta get my golf in. Golf in the Chicagoland area is months away. Maybe longer because our ground is saturated. When its not cold enough to snow, it's been raining. Been this way since October!

And need_affordable_home? 40 ain't warm! Those are the highs by the way, which in midwest speak is the days "goal". The forecasters wish it gets this warm, when 9 times out of 10 it doesn't. It's starts in the 30's and creeps up into the 40's, then takes a nosedive soon after.
Me's thinking you have a health concern if you're opening windows in sub 60 degree weather and feeling comfortable! The average person would be freezing if they did that.

Peace.
Have fun in Florida! Bring lots of sunblock so you wont burn as bad. Also bring lots of towels, youll be dripping with sweat from the heat, especially if you exert yourself. I have golfed before but found it too hot to golf long, the heat makes me tired. A high of 40 is normal in early spring. Just wait till April, you will have the good 50-60 degree weather while I suffer in the 85 degree heat. Maybe I am just meant to be in cooler weather if I was feeling great when it was 55 outside with the window open. When I woke in the morning I felt very hot for about half hour even though it was 73 in my room, window open, fan spinning. Its getting hot again, 78 degrees in my room and thats with the window open

Old 03-07-2007, 09:38 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,757,983 times
It's 78 in my home and both the window and bed fan are on. Just reinstalling my computer caused me to sweat, so I am feeling sick already thinking of our summers. In the cold winter I would just go in my basement and have a few games on the lanes. Hopefully my friends would come over and help me knock down pins.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:35 AM

58 posts, read 182,321 times
need_affordable_home.....
you wouldn't last one summer in the midwest if you think 78 degrees is hot....

Do peeps in Florida own Air conditioners? Sounds like there are a lot of people sweating while its still in the 70's!

Yea well I'm ready for some heat! I haven't been outise without a coat since September. However the temps are one things, we have rain to deal with. sure it MIGHT be 60 in April (high hopes!) however the rain still keeps you inside.

Its been absolutely miserable here for the past 6 months. Hows it been down there in the past 6 months?

Old 03-08-2007, 06:56 AM

I'm with you, ekrz. I was just thinking this morning ( I know - novel concept for me!) how nice it's going to be next winter when I can get dressed and put on sunscreen instead of a fleece lined vest, a Columbia double-jacket (a must in NNY), heavy socks, boots, earmuffs, gloves and whatever else keeps me from visiting the ER with frostbite. Oh, BTW, tonight...it's supposed to drop to -18 without the winchill. Florida, here I come!

Old 03-08-2007, 07:02 AM

497 posts, read 1,567,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
Don't waste your breath, he only sees what he wants to see and makes up his own "facts" to fit his fantasy.

In Plattsburgh today, it's -8 real temp, with windchills varying from -20 to -48. And I chose today of all days to fill up my car on the way to work. It took me 1/2 an hour for my fingers to thaw out.

5 months, 27 days till FL.

Frank, thanks for the nice photos. Got more? I need a ray of sunshine!
Yeah, not to mention, here in Maine, we can and occasionally do get hurricanes. You drive to any of the beaches and they will have signs showing the hurricane evacuation routes. Yes, there are a lot more rare than in Florida but it only takes one. Not to mention, we get Nor' Easters in the fall, winter, and spring that can do just as much damage as hurricanes. Then if you get an ice storm like happened in 1998 you can be without power for weeks. Also, even though it's rare, we can and do get tornadoes throughout the northeast. So, we get the same bad weather that Florida gets AND we get the -10 to -20 degree temps for 6 months or more of the year.

I will take the Florida heat any day!

Old 03-08-2007, 07:13 AM

497 posts, read 1,567,503 times
Well, here are my snow pics...These are from a couple years ago but they might as well be this year...

Yeah...I will take Florida when I get the money to move...

The big mound in the first pic is a gas grill.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:02 AM

58 posts, read 182,321 times
All this snow and talk about sub-zero March weather reminds me a nightmare I had the unfortunate experience in.

A few years for spring break to FLA USA. I was on my way to the airport and it had started snowing. I arrive at the airport about an hour later and the snow was now a few inches deep. By the time my flight boarded we had a good 8 inches on the ground. We taxi down the runway to takeoff only to sit there for 3 hours and witness several wind de-icings, and now we had a good foot of snow on the ground.
So the pilot anounces that our flight has been canelled, oh and by the way, the airport has just closed.
Spending the night at O'Hare is not fun. What's even worse was waiting the next morning just wondering if you were ever going to get out of there before more snow hit us.

I have more stories! I'm spare everyone!

Peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida