Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 07:59 AM

92 posts, read 468,569 times

Advertisements

My husband may be relocating for a job in Alabama. I am thinking we could live in North Florida so we wont' be too far away. I am a Native Floridian! We love the water, so need to be on the coast. We are a conservative family-not partiers. Looking for medium sized town with shops and restaurants and things to do-not out in the swamp. We do enjoy hunting and fishing and lots of outdoor activiities as well as movies, restaurants and shopping. Can't afford anything too luxurious, so we can't move to an exclusive only area, but do not want to live in the dumps. Probably around $400,00. Any place that is perfect for us come to mind? We are currently in Vero Beach and looking for comparable to that. Affordable area, on the coast, medium sized wtih things to do and able to get to wide open land to hunt-it is not all developed with condos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 08:44 AM

23,622 posts, read 70,554,955 times
The coast is changing, so what was true ten years ago may not be true now, and what happens in the next ten years will change things even more. The location of that job might determine a smaller area for you. The panhandle goes on and on. Also, the coast is a distance from Alabama unless you are near the Pensacola area. Starting suggestions would be Pensacola and Ft. Walton areas, but don't rule out that tip of Alabama that contains Foley and Gulf Shores.

Be aware of the tradeoffs in living in one state or the other. Property taxes in AL are MUCH lower, and insurance can be lower. However, there is a state income tax and the homestead exemption isn't anywhere near as good.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:38 AM

Default small costal town

We are thinking if we are two hrs. or less away he could at least spend the weekends at home-we are currently totally apart becuase of work! We want to relocate somewhere we can have a life and things to do on weekends! That is why we need some sort of entertainment and the coast-we love boating and fishing. The guys in the family love hunting too so wildlife and land is important too. We are basically "country" people. We dont need high culture, just some sort of shops, restaurants and movie theaters,e tc... We aren't real partiers and dont' want to get mixed up in the spring break crowd at all. Conservative little town would be great, but then those kinds of towns dont' usually offer much to do either. NOt knowing the area, I only know to say comparable to Vero-where we are now. Thanks to anyone who posts back to me.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:52 AM

2,227 posts, read 8,222,236 times
why move out of vero bch? just curious... i was thinking about moving to the area in a few yrs.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:37 AM

282 posts, read 1,009,865 times
I agree with the other poster, Alabama's property taxes are much lower and the gulf areas are absolutely beautiful! There are so many awesome towns near the gulf in Alabama you might want to check those out. We visited the Alabama coast area last year and we fell in love with it.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:43 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,479,400 times
Just wanted to expand a bit on what Harry said. You may want to check into the tax situation. If your DH works in Ala. and you live in Fla., you may have a tremendous tax burden. He may have to pay state income tax to Ala. and you'd have a lot higher home taxes in Fla.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:59 PM

23,622 posts, read 70,554,955 times
"We are thinking if we are two hrs. or less away he could at least spend the weekends at home-we are currently totally apart becuase of work! We want to relocate somewhere we can have a life and things to do on weekends! That is why we need some sort of entertainment and the coast-we love boating and fishing. The guys in the family love hunting too so wildlife and land is important too. We are basically "country" people. We dont need high culture, just some sort of shops, restaurants and movie theaters,e tc... We aren't real partiers and dont' want to get mixed up in the spring break crowd at all. Conservative little town would be great, but then those kinds of towns dont' usually offer much to do either. NOt knowing the area, I only know to say comparable to Vero-where we are now. Thanks to anyone who posts back to me."

You might consider a weekend drive or two up to the Tennessee River in North Alabama. There is world class bass fishing and the river is more like a lake in many places. Hunting clubs are available, and the area is generally conservative. Huntsville has movie theatres and places to eat, and Birmingham, Nashville, Chattanooga, and Atlanta are all within reasonable driving distance. $400K would go about TWICE as far in housing dollars as it would in Florida, and even further in some of the small cities.

On the south end of the state, Dothan is a couple of hours from the gulf via a four-lane road.

Old 09-23-2007, 04:42 PM

33 posts, read 206,916 times
I think you are describing Panama City LOL. PC is about 1.5 hours from the Ala state line (going north) and is a smallish city. IT's growing all the time and had plenty for us to do, places to shop..although if I could PICk I'd do my REAL shopping in other towns. But the rest of your description pretty much matches up. There is PLENTY to do if you get a boat and like the beach. I'd still be there if my DH wasn't in the Air Force..but we have property there and will be back in a few years. we really like it!

Old 09-23-2007, 05:08 PM

Default response

Hi. Thanks for all the input. Moving out of Vero only becuase there is no work here and job offer is in Alabama. I hear what you are saying about the taxes. Would paying state income tax offset the higher property taxes or is there no comparison? I am now looking at coastal Ala. towns, but they put me farther away from husband in Dothan-where the job offer is, becuase they dip down further north. Someone posted that I had described Panama City in what I was looking for, but what about the Spring Breakers? I dont want to get mixed up in that craziness that goes on there. Anyone know about Southport-which is nearby Pan City? I am afraid it might be too small with no stores or anything though......

Old 09-23-2007, 07:54 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,782,451 times
Unless you're earning a high income, Alabama's tax burden will be lower. Florida has become too expensive for "middle class' wagearners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida