Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 09:19 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times

Advertisements

If husband works in Daytona - what communities nearby have the higest rated schools? All we need is a nice place to live with very good schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 11:10 AM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,141,935 times
None Daytona is a SLUM.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:51 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times
Wow, Datona is really that bad? Well - just because he works in Daytona it does not mean we cannot live in neighboring towns. Are there good schools in nearby towns or is the entire area a dump?

Old 06-10-2012, 01:06 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
Daytona IS a dump..... There are many threads on here regarding it. LIVE in Ormond Beach, Port Orange, Flagler.... Daytona just plain sucks....

Old 06-10-2012, 01:18 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
None Daytona is a SLUM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Daytona IS a dump..... There are many threads on here regarding it. LIVE in Ormond Beach, Port Orange, Flagler.... Daytona just plain sucks....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Wow, Daytona is really that bad? Well - just because he works in Daytona it does not mean we cannot live in neighboring towns. Are there good schools in nearby towns or is the entire area a dump?
The OP required about surrounding communities as well. If schools are part of the equation I would most recommend the southern suburb of Port Orange. Look to the area south of Dunlawton and preferably west of I-95 in the Spruce Creek area which has all "A" rated schools from elementary through high school (Spruce Creek HS). It's a well kept up newer area with nice homes, though not terribly expensive.

http://www.sprucecreekhigh.com/
http://www.sprucecreekhigh.com/schoo...noteworthy.htm

Old 06-11-2012, 07:13 PM

13,623 posts, read 7,936,616 times
Port Orange and Ormond Beach are where you need to look.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:31 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,847 times
Port Orange or Deland.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:11 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Wow, Datona is really that bad? Well - just because he works in Daytona it does not mean we cannot live in neighboring towns. Are there good schools in nearby towns or is the entire area a dump?
My advice.....check it out for yourself. Daytona is not as bad as the rep on here. Just like every community there are good and bad areas. We go up there every once in awhile and many areas have become so much better than they were . Some areas are really nice. Ormand Beach is nice but if you can afford it check out places South on A!A. I love that area.

New Smyrna Beach if you can find a house beachside is also a good area that is not as busy and sort of laid back. Easy drive into Daytona for work and shopping. My cousin loves it there. She moved from Winterpark after having a 1 bedroom condo for weekends there on the beach for years. She sold the condo and bought a house right off A1A walking distance to the beach.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:20 AM

501 posts, read 1,882,519 times
Arrow Local Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
My advice.....check it out for yourself. Daytona is not as bad as the rep on here. Just like every community there are good and bad areas. We go up there every once in awhile and many areas have become so much better than they were . Some areas are really nice.
I agree. Most of the posters in this thread have obviously not visited the area in a while!

My advice would be to go to the Volusia County School Board website and look up the different programs offered at the various schools that would target your kids. The schools here all have focused programs -- meaning that they're only available at that particlular school (in most cases, with little duplication).

I know a lot of people who are happy with specific programs they have their kids in at Daytona Beach schools (that aren't offered in Port Orange or Ormond). And their kids can safely walk or ride their bikes to school.

The schools outside of Daytona Beach are now becoming overcrowded and while previously (5 years ago) had good reputations, the student-teacher ratios, attention and retention levels are now showing some stress, while the Daytona Beach schools are winning awards now.

I think the best quality of life in this area is to live near the beach (and shopping). My suggestions would be Long Street Elementary and Ortona Elementary Neighborhoods.

There are also private school options on the beachside (off the top of my head) such as Our Lady of Lourdes (Catholic), St Paul's Basilica (Catholic) and the Daytona Coptic Church School (non-denominational).

Don't see any reason of why you couldn't find housing to your preferences in the area.

Good Luck!

Old 06-13-2012, 07:52 AM

161 posts, read 412,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonadewd View Post
I agree. Most of the posters in this thread have obviously not visited the area in a while!

My advice would be to go to the Volusia County School Board website and look up the different programs offered at the various schools that would target your kids. The schools here all have focused programs -- meaning that they're only available at that particlular school (in most cases, with little duplication).

I know a lot of people who are happy with specific programs they have their kids in at Daytona Beach schools (that aren't offered in Port Orange or Ormond). And their kids can safely walk or ride their bikes to school.

The schools outside of Daytona Beach are now becoming overcrowded and while previously (5 years ago) had good reputations, the student-teacher ratios, attention and retention levels are now showing some stress, while the Daytona Beach schools are winning awards now.

I think the best quality of life in this area is to live near the beach (and shopping). My suggestions would be Long Street Elementary and Ortona Elementary Neighborhoods.

There are also private school options on the beachside (off the top of my head) such as Our Lady of Lourdes (Catholic), St Paul's Basilica (Catholic) and the Daytona Coptic Church School (non-denominational).

Don't see any reason of why you couldn't find housing to your preferences in the area.

Good Luck!
Spot on post! I know the Ormond schools are crowded. When we registered our daughter, the staff had this crappy attitude like " Oh great, another one" Don't get me wrong, it's a good school and has some great staff but I think they are overwhelmed.
On another note, I am a Longstreet graduate, it is and has always been a great school.

Daytona is making a comeback whether the majority of the City-Data posters like it or not LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida