Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2007, 08:29 PM

29 posts, read 97,379 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a good solution for finding an auto in Florida? I have a new car I could drive there but I hate to put the miles on it.

I'll be there from January through the end of April. I looked up a rental price at one of the standard airport car rental companies and the price was around $2800 for a compact.

Last year I bought a half-junked car at a repo place in Orlando. The car ran all winter in Florida and I actually drove it back to the west coast thinking I could use it for a second car. It blew up the second day I got back. I probably lost $4000 altogether.

Thanks,
w
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 10:23 PM

140 posts, read 731,996 times
Default auto solution

While you don't indicate how you will get to Florida from wherever you live, one suggestion many people use is to have their car shipped to their destination. There are many bonded and insured auto carriers advertising on the internet. Or, you can go to your auto dealer and determine who they use to ship cars across the country(many dealer do that for their customers).

A couple of years ago we shipped a car from upstate New York to Ocala, Florida. It cost $600 and arrived 2 days after it was picked-up from our dealer. Basically, it was door-to-door pick-up and delivery. The car arrived dirty but undamaged, and did not have that additional mileage to Florida. Several months later, we had the car shipped back to upstate New York...again, door-to-door, undamaged. Was very pleased with the whole process, and plan to use it again later this year.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:10 AM

29 posts, read 97,379 times
Thanks Hatwick,

I hadn't thought of that.

w

Old 10-05-2007, 06:54 AM

627 posts, read 2,850,823 times
Yeah, shipping a car can be far less costly!!!

We have done it, and it took about 36 hours to get one of our cars from East of Cleveland to Ocala (from the time we ordered service over the internet). Ours was about $600 too.

So, even if you shipped both ways, it could save you alot of money.

Good Luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: