Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 08:40 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times

Advertisements

I saw a short segment about this on the news, concerning a group that wants to revamp the Florida property tax system in a way that doesn't involve raising the property tax rate.

Basically, they want FL to follow California's footsteps in changing the tax system so that your property tax only ever equals 1% of the value of your house, no matter what the value. (With a 2%/year cap on increase). I like this idea over any of the other ideas floated around on tax reform, and was wondering what everyone else thought.

In California it was called "Proposition 13" and here's a website about it:

https://securecommanders.com/hjta/homeowners.asp?from=saveprop13 (broken link)

Apparently, the lobbying group in FL pushing for more attention on the "1%" solution.... but cannot find a website for them (or a petition to sign online!). If anyone has any more information on this proposal or the FL website, please post it for us. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 09:59 AM

518 posts, read 2,226,765 times
Something like Proposition 13 is a terrific idea -- but given our Legislature's track record, it's simply too sensible and won't even be considered.

Old 03-08-2007, 11:18 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,757,983 times
This will still be too expensive, and those of us who have been here a while will not benefit from it at all. I say, tax properties on the value paid, PERIOD! Improvements could be factored in, but only if the amount exceeds a certain amount.

Old 03-08-2007, 11:22 AM

16 posts, read 54,720 times
Angry arrrrrrgggh

i say to HELL with fla property taxes they are the biggest ripoff on earth.

raise the sales tax and let the tourists pay for the cost of taxation not the people of c. florida who suffer with: low wages - high crime - hurricanes - mosquitoes

i am all for the proposal to cut local wasteful county spending and cut the property taxes for homes under $250k and people over the $250k range only start getting property taxes after $250k (like a $300k house gets taxes on $50k of home value)

i cannot wait to leave this state as soon as i can get rid of this house in orlando i am gone the same day. it is impossible to sell a house with high cost of living high insurance /food prices went up at walmart a lot /property taxes through the roof argh!!! its driving me crazy i want to leave asap and cannot this is awful

Old 03-08-2007, 11:27 AM

1,247 posts, read 927,096 times
I'd be all for this. Anything to be rid of Save Our Homes.

The homestead exemption should also be raised to at least $200,000.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:43 PM

142 posts, read 578,742 times
Mine are 1100 a year. Why would I vote to raise them. And I've stayed in the same home for 20 years to keep them that way. Why should I be punished. You've got people who come here for 4 years and complain about the taxes. Should we fix it for them so they can turn around and leave a couple of years later, leaving those of us who are less flighty in a lurch..

Old 03-08-2007, 10:44 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,088,670 times
Doesnt CA have "save our homes" this means those who bought a while ago will pay low taxes today. The 1% tax will benefit everyone because even those homesteaded still pay 2% today, just on a lower assessed value. I like the 1% idea, it will help the rich and poor equally and the landlord will lower rent because they too get the 1% rate, just not the $25k exemption and no homestead cap but their taxes will drop in half still.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:22 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,537,543 times
OK.......I know I'll be the "bad guy" for this, but I have an honest "newbie" question.......

Are the taxes really that bad?? I pay over $6000 in taxes for my home in NY, and if I was one mile down the road, they would be over another $1000 more easily.

The house I just bought in Florida, the taxes there are less then half that, even without the homestead exemption. I know the square footage and value is a bit less, but still........

My utilities are also higher up here, and gas prices are higher here. I guess it is all perspective.....I think my cost of living will be lower in Florida then here in NY.

Money magazine does an article every year on this,,,,,,and NY is ALWAYS right up in the top of the list......

Frank D.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:35 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,088,670 times
You probably own a very expensive house in NY to pay $6k taxes. Thats a nice big house with basement and attic! Huge lot too!

Old 03-09-2007, 06:40 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,213,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
OK.......I know I'll be the "bad guy" for this, but I have an honest "newbie" question.......

Are the taxes really that bad?? I pay over $6000 in taxes for my home in NY, and if I was one mile down the road, they would be over another $1000 more easily.

The house I just bought in Florida, the taxes there are less then half that, even without the homestead exemption. I know the square footage and value is a bit less, but still........

My utilities are also higher up here, and gas prices are higher here. I guess it is all perspective.....I think my cost of living will be lower in Florida then here in NY.

Money magazine does an article every year on this,,,,,,and NY is ALWAYS right up in the top of the list......

Frank D.

Frank, yes it is that bad for the number of retirees on fixed incomes and the lower wages in alot of job areas here. Think about how much firemen,teachers, etc. make in NY compared to what they make here. Also, because our property values have risen so drastically in such a short time - people who have to move because of family situations (that's us) or people downsizing or upsizing, moving into the state, etc. are shouldering the burden of paying the majority of the taxes while people who have lived in the SAME house for awhile pay almost nothing. That's unfair. People have been made prisoners in their homes here....that's one reason the market has slowed.

I have talked to numerous people who can afford to pay the P&I on a new home but can't afford it PLUS the taxes and high HOA. My P&I is only about 40% of my house payment - the rest is TAXES and HOI. The city of Orlando has increased the assessed value of my house $165,000 over the past two years! It has gone from 221,000 (05) to 294,000 (06) to 385,000(07). At our rate of 2 mils that means our property tax has risen from 4K to 7K-8K in two years! Plus our Home Owners Insurance tripled in the same amount of time. That's an extra $500.00 a month! Plus now the mortgage company is adding an extra 100.00 a month to our mortgage to account for escrow overruns. They say they are required by the federal government to do so. Although we have always had a fixed rate loan, our mortgage payment is $600.00 a month MORE than it was 2 years ago when we moved into our home. That does not include our pool payment which is separate. If we had known this, we probably would not have built the pool. Thank God, we finally qualify for Save Our Homes this year, or we would be forced to move.

We are blessed, we did not buy up to our limit, we were conservative and we are doing OK for now. But, do you understand why many people in Florida are having issues. I love Florida, but if something doesn't change we will not be able to stay here longterm - while we're making good wages, perhaps. But as much as we love it, is it worth it to give all our money away this way? I know we couldn't live here in retirement unless something changes.

Many of us are just waiting to see what happens with the taxes. God help Florida if it's not something that gives major relief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida