Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 07:25 PM

810 posts, read 1,579,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Hialeah_Rules you having a bad day or something? as you seem to be unnecessarily aggressive toward the op .
Yes I'm having a bad day. I'm having a "I hate Florida" day. I think it was the high temperatures that put me in a bad mood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 02:36 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hialeah_Rules View Post
Yes I'm having a bad day. I'm having a "I hate Florida" day. I think it was the high temperatures that put me in a bad mood.
That unrelenting heat and humidity did have a tendency to make me grumpy and irritable much of the time in my 20 year stay in Florida. My solution was to move up to Canada so c'mon up to Canada,you could even rent or buy a floating house..

Old 07-20-2012, 07:19 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
I've never seen Floating houses in Florida like they have up in BC,probably due to the potential for hurricane. if there are floating homes in Florida i would imagine home owners insurance would be staggeringly expensive or impossible to find.
I'll assume the op has something like this in mind . Nice idea but probably not in Fla.
I agree, you'd never see that here due to the storms and hurricanes we are susceptible to here. There's just no place for them anyway. But I've seen some pretty nice yachts that people live on!

Old 07-20-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
That unrelenting heat and humidity did have a tendency to make me grumpy and irritable much of the time in my 20 year stay in Florida. My solution was to move up to Canada so c'mon up to Canada,you could even rent or buy a floating house..
A colder place, yes but I couldn't live in a floating home or boat house I would be claustrophobic and I would feel dirty and probably smell like fish or rotten sea water. No, no, no.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:36 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,176,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlendaRN View Post
No, they can be found in Seattle and Victoria, Bc. Have you ever been out of where ever you are from?

I am wondering if maybe some of your responses you are getting are being caused because of this statement. I thought your answer was kind of rude. Figured I was one of the "dumb ones" from Florida, too who thought you were talking about house boats. BTW check ads for floating house rentals in key West and you will find some-for house boats.

I also agree with other posters it is too dangerous and costly for Florida. Need to move yachts and cruise ships away from coast into calmer waters when a hurricane is coming and move houseboats into a little more protected area inland on rivers etc. Watch the exodus of cars and trucks heading out of the state when a hurricane is coming and you will see a lot of boats etc. heading out to save them. It actually was kind of interesting to see the boats loaded with families worldly goods. Insurance is too costly to keep on them for the most part. Lots of derelict boats left in river when they floated off or out into the roadways a block from the water back in 2004.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:38 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
This is what someone else said on another forum regarding floating homes.

"Floating homes seem to be a rapidly vanishing breed in most areas. Because of the lack of propulsion most areas are reluctant or have passed legislation against nonpowered vessels. I , myself live aboard a floating home in the Florida Keys and find it increasingly difficult to find slips to accommodate full time residency in a floating home. In addition many floating homes are wider than most slips can accommodate. Although our home is built to current South Florida building codes and has weathered numerous storms and hurricanes at the dock many of the older Floating homes have not faired as well. Only since 2003 have floating homes been governed by "land based" building codes in Florida and prior to that time one could be built without permits and inspections resulting in a lot of damage during tropical storms. That coupled with the perception that floating villages would result in a shantytown look to the local waterfront real estate, floating homes have been discouraged or outlawed. Our local area here in the Keys has grandfathered existing floating homes but will not allow any additional units."

Different regions and even coasts can have very different weather. What can work in the Pacific could be disastrous in The Gulf or Atlantic.

Just because someone hasn't heard of something because it is not common in their area doesn't make them anymore ignorant than someone not realizing that because of different conditions it wouldn't work in another area.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
[/b]
I am wondering if maybe some of your responses you are getting are being caused because of this statement. I thought your answer was kind of rude. Figured I was one of the "dumb ones" from Florida, too who thought you were talking about house boats. BTW check ads for floating house rentals in key West and you will find some-for house boats.

I also agree with other posters it is too dangerous and costly for Florida. Need to move yachts and cruise ships away from coast into calmer waters when a hurricane is coming and move houseboats into a little more protected area inland on rivers etc. Watch the exodus of cars and trucks heading out of the state when a hurricane is coming and you will see a lot of boats etc. heading out to save them. It actually was kind of interesting to see the boats loaded with families worldly goods. Insurance is too costly to keep on them for the most part.
The response was directed to me, not to the person who confused boathomes with floating homes.

Her issue is with Hialeah. Bottomline, we all agree is a really bad idea.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:53 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,176,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hialeah_Rules View Post
The response was directed to me, not to the person who confused boathomes with floating homes.

Her issue is with Hialeah. Bottomline, we all agree is a really bad idea.
I know that, but the reason I said what I said was because I thought her attitude was rude when I first read the comment she made and backed off of even posting till the other remarks made remarks thinking that the rudeness coming from her answer may have had a little to do with initial responses from others, too. Sorry if it bothered you. Not my intention at all.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
I know that, but the reason I said what I said was because I thought her attitude was rude when I first read the comment she made and backed off of even posting till the other remarks made remarks thinking that the rudeness coming from her answer may have had a little to do with initial responses from others, too. Sorry if it bothered you. Not my intention at all.
I'm not bothered, not even by the TS

Only these endless summer days bother me.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:00 AM

68 posts, read 187,723 times
I apologize for the rude remark. Yes it was directed at Hialeah Rules as I thought he was being rude. Believe me Hialeah Rules I know how the heat and humidity can put a person in a foul mood as the weather here is the same and I can't wait til fall! I had just seen the floating homes in Victoria and just thought it was a really neat idea. I guess I will give the idea up as I want to retire to Florida not Seattle or Victoria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida