Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 07:52 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times

Advertisements

Oh, the new owners.

My first year in Spring Hill was $2,000.00. This year was more like $600.
In Orlando we paid somewhere around $800 or $900. It went up a little when we were annexed into Winter Park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
The new owners will be paying that. The house is 3900 sf on a very small lot in a nice neighborhood. It is your typical cookie cutter FL house in a gated community. We live in a much nicer house now.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:54 PM

actually, property taxes in FL have gone way down due to the end of the real estate boom and the decrease in property values.

Quote:
1/2-These items cannot possibly save you enough money to justify relocating over them.

3-Relocating to FL makes the most sense for people who can make the same amount of money regardless of where they live (like retirees). The cost of living index in Westchester County is 149 while the same index in Fort Lauderdale is 114.

It certainly does cost more to live in NY than it does in FL. I usually make these posts to warn those who will be working for a living that those indices are deceptive. If your $25/hour NY worker moves to Fort Lauderdale from Westchester he needs to make $20/hour to maintain the same standard of living. However, it is unlikely that he will actually make that much, putting him in a hole. $15 per hour is more likely.

It may not matter to you specifically, but I post the numbers so that ANYONE considering a move can read them.

4. The property taxes on the house I once owned in Westchester are currently $12K per year. The property taxes on the house I used to own in FL are $11K per year. Taxes have gone up everywhere not just in NY.

5. We do not have huge oil heat costs, however, electric bills in the summer are very high. Your energy costs in FL should be lower overall than they were in NY, especially if you are moving from Long Island (where I grew up). Our bills in Westchester were very very high (Con Ed). I know my parents electric/heat bills were very high on LI.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:11 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Yes, $ are important to many. It drives some people to the brink. Money can be earned.
Other important things in life can't. What's that old saying, "money does not buy happiness".

However, what it costs to live in the NYC metro area vs. most of FL is not even close.
People really nee to crunch the numbers. Money does not buy happiness but lack of money can buy misery. Most people live in the middle.

If the sole reason people are moving to FL is to improve their quality of life they need to take a look at the numbers. We moved here because it was less expensive. My husband is an attorney and his earning potential here is pretty close to what it was in NY. So of course the lower cost of living coupled with the lack of a state income tax meant that we really were able to improve our quality of life over what we had in NY.

However, for wage earners who will earn less in FL they find that often they earn so much less that they are in a worse position than they were in NY. Average teacher salary is $58K in NY, $43K in FL. In order to be competitive a teacher would have to earn $46K. Each person has to do the calculation on their own to see if it make sense to them.

There are reasons to move that supercede money but in order to make an informed decision you have to include money. It might not be the ONLY factor but for most people it is a factor.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Oh, the new owners.

My first year in Spring Hill was $2,000.00. This year was more like $600.
In Orlando we paid somewhere around $800 or $900. It went up a little when we were annexed into Winter Park.
Here in Broward nobody pays $800 per year in taxes. Property values are much higher here than they are in Central FL. BTW-we were in Winter Park last year when our son played a game at Lake Highland Prep. LOVED The Ravenous Pig!!!

Old 08-06-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
actually, property taxes in FL have gone way down due to the end of the real estate boom and the decrease in property values.
Taxes on my old house went up. We bought for $370K in 2000 and sold in 2010 for $525K. Things had gotten so crazy that similar houses had sold for $850K at the peak so they would have gone down for folks who bought later but ours went up every year and went up again when the house sold.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:16 PM

677 posts, read 934,063 times
Quote:
I am looking for an answer to that too, but Ive found here that those who stand by their negativity never respond to a request, they only shoot out more negativity. I'd shoot myself if I felt the way a lot of these people feel. Life wouldnt be worth living if everyday was another day in a place I could not stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306
Point out my intimidation, guerrilla tactics and oppression.

Before you do, please look up the definitions.

Here are all my posts here, trying to make it easy on you

Puh-leaseee.......have you both been floating down the sea of denial? I think so as well as many others. We are now on pg 17 of this thread & again no one has challenged anyone who has had positive things to say about FL or claimed they've made "gross exaggerations", yet you two can't say the same for the negative replies, you've hijacked this thread into constant confrontations. Now float on.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:42 PM

In NY the income taxes shrink the difference between here and there. Not to mention the cost of living. $11 for a pack of cigarettes. The tolls on the bridges and tunnels are ridiculous. I have more disposable income here than I had in NYC for sure.

Quote:
People really nee to crunch the numbers. Money does not buy happiness but lack of money can buy misery. Most people live in the middle.

If the sole reason people are moving to FL is to improve their quality of life they need to take a look at the numbers. We moved here because it was less expensive. My husband is an attorney and his earning potential here is pretty close to what it was in NY. So of course the lower cost of living coupled with the lack of a state income tax meant that we really were able to improve our quality of life over what we had in NY.

However, for wage earners who will earn less in FL they find that often they earn so much less that they are in a worse position than they were in NY. Average teacher salary is $58K in NY, $43K in FL. In order to be competitive a teacher would have to earn $46K. Each person has to do the calculation on their own to see if it make sense to them.

There are reasons to move that supercede money but in order to make an informed decision you have to include money. It might not be the ONLY factor but for most people it is a factor.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:44 PM

Not in denial at all. Living a happy life.
Can't say the same for a lot of you folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
Quote:

Puh-leaseee.......have you both been floating down the sea of denial? I think so as well as many others. We are now on pg 17 of this thread & again no one has challenged anyone who has had positive things to say about FL or claimed they've made "gross exaggerations", yet you two can't say the same for the negative replies, you've hijacked this thread into constant confrontations. Now float on.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:46 PM

Maybe because the negative posts contain a whole lot of poppy ****.

The facts cannot be argued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
Quote:

Old 08-07-2012, 01:15 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Maybe some one can start an alternate topic, "Florida the dream and the reality" positive edition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida