Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2012, 11:26 PM

23 posts, read 58,922 times

Advertisements

I am a single (recently divorced) middle-aged male, with no children. After 15 years of marriage, I am starting over. After conducting extensive research, there are a few different states I am looking at. One of these states is Florida.

In order to obtain the best information possible from anyone who reads this, I must disclose that I am originally from Washington State and have only been in Florida briefly for a few days. Additionally, I have lived in Tennessee and have visited many of the gulf coast states.

Here are a few questions that I have, that I am hoping someone can truthfully answer for me. Please keep in mind that I am more interested in living in a small Florida town that has enough amenities to survive, but not be overwhelmed by huge crowds. Also, I would love to live by a beach, but I realize that the cost of living by any beach area is probably way too expensive. Having said this, if you know of any beach towns that are not that crowded or expensive I would love to hear about them.

Florida Towns – I am looking for a small town of about 10,000 to 50,000 people, preferably semi-rural.

Weather – I do know that some parts of Florida get cold. However, as long as I can grow a garden year round that would be awesome.

Taxes – From what I have heard, taxes vary in Florida, depending on where one lives. Any small or medium size towns that you know of where taxes are not sky high.

Economy/Jobs – The nation as a whole is in an economic slump. However, I would like to know if Florida is the same or worse then the rest of the nation. I am a certified high school Business Education teacher, am a semester and a half away from completing a Master’s in Library Science, and when not teaching have for many years, worked on golf courses. I enjoy working outdoors such as on golf courses; or in similar situations. I am interested to hear from someone who has first hand knowledge about outdoor jobs/careers that provide for a livable wage with insurance and benefits.

Social Life- I don’t need much, but do not want to become a hermit either. I enjoy playing golf, poker, and attending cultural activities. Also, although it is the last thing on my mind at this point in time, given that I am going through the divorce process, I don’t want to spend the rest of my life alone. It would be nice to eventually meet someone. What is the dating scene like for men my age in the small towns in Florida that you might be thinking of as you read this.

Houses/Property – I grew up on a farm and would like to get back to having a house on a few acres. I am not into cookie cutter suburbia type homes or neighborhoods. Are there homes and properties such as small farms/houses/property available in small Florida towns?

I have conducted research for real estate, but would like to hear from someone who lives in a small town area and has knowledge about such real estate. My ideal place would be something that I could fix up myself. So the more run down the better, as long as the “bones” of the house are intact. In essence, a place that I could eventually turn from a lump of coal into a diamond. If you are a real estate agent and are reading this, please do not inundate me with sales pitches, information etc. I will not respond and will never work with you. I do not mean to come off as a jerk, but at this point in time, I am not interested in buying something outright, and it will be a waste of your time. I plan to buy once I am familiar with and have visited/lived in an area where I relocate.

I know that I have not begun to scratch the surface as to questions that I should be asking as there are questions that I am not even aware that I should ask.

If anyone can provide me with answers to the questions I have posed it would be great. Also, if anyone can provide me with additional information that I did not think about, it would be much appreciated. Right now I am just conducting research and trying to determine what is best for me.

The bottom line is I am looking for a fresh start. Somewhere where the weather is warm, where I can settle into a teaching or outdoor career, buy a house with some property, have a dog or two, a garden, and a decent social life

Thank you for your time. It is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 05:56 AM

27,230 posts, read 43,956,177 times
As a native Floridian who knows much of the state through travel, research for relocation or actual residence my initial thought given your criteria is Englewood on the southwest coast. It's not as cookie-cutter as most areas, has beautiful beaches, far fewer tourists/congestion than most beach areas, lower housing costs compared to other coastal areas, plenty of golf/outdoor recreation opportunity, enough going on to provide a social life and year-round gardening as it tends to be south of the geographic freeze line.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:21 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Kyle's suggestion of Englewood is a good one ^^^. A great, small, largely "undiscovered" beach town. I don't know whether any jobs or properties there would fit your criteria, but if you post on the Sarasota forums, one of our many knowledgeable realtors could weigh in on that.

Good luck!

Old 08-30-2012, 12:33 PM

23 posts, read 58,922 times
Thanks to each of you for such a quick reply. I will research Englewood some to learn about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: