Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 09:18 AM

2 posts, read 10,963 times

Advertisements

I am contemplating a move to Seminole County from NJ due to a job transfer to Heathrow/Lake Mary area. We are a bi-racial family with 3 kids ranging from 5-13 and are looking for a 3/2 home under $250k in a nice, safe neighborhood with good schools, plenty of after-school activities for the kids, in a nice sub-division surrounded by an area that's not "rural". Is a nicely-updated home like this attainable in this area. After reading all of the negativity regarding, crime, traffic, unemployment, high cost of living, low wages and narrow-minded people in an around Orlando, I've become a little discouraged. Hoping that what I've read so far is not completely true.... Can anyone shed some light?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 10:17 AM

629 posts, read 1,720,638 times
I love central Florida.

Keep in mind regarding the negativity, most of the folks who complain are 'stuck' here for one reason or another, job, family, whatever it might be, or they're just people who prefer a cooler climate and apparently didn't get the memo that Florida is hot and humid for a good portion of the year. It becomes like the bad roommate you had back in college. At first they were just kind of annoying, and eventually every single thing they do starts to grate on you so you act cold to them and the whole thing just gets worse and worse.

If some of the folks who do the complaining here are anything like that in real life then it's no wonder that they find themselves surrounded by rudeness or mean drivers or whatever it may be. The way other people treat us is usually a good reflection of how we're treating them so that says something about how they go through life. I've met almost entirely good people in central Florida and those that aren't I simply don't associate with. Happy people tend to surround themselves with other happy people, and jerks tend to surround themselves with jerks. If someone says Florida is full of jerks, well....... you can figure the rest out.

Whatever you decide, I think you should rent for at least 6 months before you even consider buying anything. You just don't know how you're going to enjoy or not enjoy a new area until you live there so don't tie yourself to a house until you know Florida is right for you. There's no point in becoming another one of the complainers if you don't have to. Lake Mary is a great area for young families with very good schools and yes you can get something at that price point so I think you're looking in the right area.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:37 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,151,260 times
I'm not a FL resident, but have relatives in central FL. My uncle LOVES it, my aunt hates it. But honestly, with all due respect, I think the MAIN reason my aunt hates it is because she misses her family and friends up here. Because of that, she blames it on FL itself.

Me - I think where they live is beautiful and peaceful. I can see it may not have a lively nightlife, but I like it.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:11 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL2MT View Post
I love central Florida.

Keep in mind regarding the negativity, .

Any talk of negativity about Florida is strictly verboten and will be immediately dealt with. Florida is paradise,the weather is perfect and the beaches are wonderful deviate from this mantra at your own risk.
Sanford is a very nice town,beautiful lakes abound and the beaches are less than an hours drive away..

Old 08-08-2012, 12:10 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times
I LOVE Central Florida. I grew up here and have been back for some time now. Reading through the post on this board I can tell you the posters in Orlando threads are bi-polar. You either love it or hate it. That being said, it's really not that bad here, it's not paradise either. Let me give you an optimistic, but realistic view of CFL/Orlando. The area your job is located is a very nice area. It is convenient to the highway, great school district, safe, plenty of amenities such as restaurants, grocery, shopping, etc, and it's fairly diverse. However, although it is suburban it's slightly more rural than other areas, it's kind of the beginning of the exurbs of Orlando. $250k should buy you a nice family home. Other areas I would recommend to you are nearby Altamonte Springs/Wekiva area. It's nearby, also has great school district, has just about any amenity you could need and it's more developed. The flip side is that it's much more crowded and busier than Lake Mary. Traffic can get pretty bad in this area. But again you'll be able to find a nice home in this area with great schools. Finally,I would suggest Winter Park/Maitland. It will be slightly longer commute, but has same attributes as the other areas I mentioned. Biggest difference here is that it would be in Orange County however Winter Park school district is very good. I don't think you'll have any issue here as a bi-racial family, Orlando is very diverse. Crime is like anywhere else, this is a major metro area, we have serious crime like any similarly sized city but just like most elsewhere crime here is confined to the bad areas. If you're not out looking for trouble, it's not likely to find you in the areas in mentioned. The bigger adjustment that people make upon moving here is the weather, it is oppressively hot during the summer but very nice during other parts of the year. Given your situation, this likely will be your bigger concern, the reality is in your situation, you'll be able to find a nice home, in a nice area, with good schools. Yes you will have to deal with traffic, weather and learn to avoid bad areas but other than that you should do just fine should you choose to move here.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:45 PM

83 posts, read 141,393 times
Are you unhappy with where you live in NJ now? If so, then you very well may be happy here. Lots of people from the northeast like living in central Florida. So come for a week with the whole family. Don't spend all your time at Disney or the beach, spend time in the area of neighborhood where you might live, look at schools and housing and see how you and the family feel about it. And come soon so you can get a taste of the dog days of summer here. If your gut feeling is good after that, then go for it!

However, of you and your family love where you live, don't mind the weather in Jerseyr, really take a long look at moving here, because some people do have strong feelings both ways....

Old 08-08-2012, 09:08 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinarid View Post
I am contemplating a move to Seminole County from NJ due to a job transfer to Heathrow/Lake Mary area. We are a bi-racial family with 3 kids ranging from 5-13 and are looking for a 3/2 home under $250k in a nice, safe neighborhood with good schools, plenty of after-school activities for the kids, in a nice sub-division surrounded by an area that's not "rural". Is a nicely-updated home like this attainable in this area. After reading all of the negativity regarding, crime, traffic, unemployment, high cost of living, low wages and narrow-minded people in an around Orlando, I've become a little discouraged. Hoping that what I've read so far is not completely true.... Can anyone shed some light?
I DM'd you a little information

Old 08-08-2012, 09:12 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
I'm not a FL resident, but have relatives in central FL. My uncle LOVES it, my aunt hates it. But honestly, with all due respect, I think the MAIN reason my aunt hates it is because she misses her family and friends up here. Because of that, she blames it on FL itself.

Me - I think where they live is beautiful and peaceful. I can see it may not have a lively nightlife, but I like it.
Orlando is my birth city, I used to love it but despise it now. My father lives in Seminole County and used to love it there but now hates it. He says the crime has risen so much over the years, no one's able to find a decent, paying wage, and that there's a general feeling of hopelessness. I'm actually moving him to Texas this fall, he's very excited to be leaving.

I guess it comes down to personal preferences, if you have a good job and live in a great community, I'll assume life is a bowl of cherries..

Old 08-09-2012, 03:30 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Any talk of negativity about Florida is strictly verboten and will be immediately dealt with. Florida is paradise,the weather is perfect and the beaches are wonderful deviate from this mantra at your own risk.
Sanford is a very nice town,beautiful lakes abound and the beaches are less than an hours drive away..
Negative opinions abound as evidenced by the OP's post. A vast majority just happen to come from the same people, over and over again.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:34 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinarid View Post
There are many nice, safe subdivisions but I am not sure on the price point in regards to everything else you want.
I would not move to Sanford as the person who lives in Canada suggested, I think there are many nicer areas.
Traffic in many area will be high so look at where the schools will be and where work will be and then choose housing accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida