Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 11:23 AM

41 posts, read 121,121 times

Advertisements

Is there anyone from WNY that's has moved to Florida that likes it? What area? and Why? If you just hate it, please tell why also. Thanks.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:15 PM

713 posts, read 2,670,012 times
Default Me, me. I am

Boca Raton but then I hear Jupiter's nice as well. Wellington is awesome and wealthy. Lakeland and Lake Wales seem nice. Many towns in Central FL offer much house for the money.

Try this site Best Places to Live: Compare the Best Cities & Small Towns for You!

Last edited by House4Sale; 10-08-2007 at 08:26 PM..

Old 10-09-2007, 07:01 AM

627 posts, read 2,849,612 times
I am from the Corning/Watkins Glen area... We moved to Central FL, north of Orlando and it is OK. We do love the location "in Town" of the home we just purchased, on it's little city lot (I come from 112 acre lot in NY ). I miss the rolling ridgelines and beautiful views from sitting atop the hills on the property. We had more home there for the $$, But we like it here (now that we are out of the sub-division that we originally moved to, when we got back to FL again).
Hey, it is not the best place, but it is FAR from the worst.
You know, another place that is equal in beauty to WNY and has milder (much milder) winters is North GA.

Last edited by MyHomeIsInOcala; 10-09-2007 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: oooopps!

Old 10-09-2007, 12:43 PM

128 posts, read 648,258 times
If you are thinking of leaving WNY for Florida I would probably want to think twice. I moved from Tonawanda N.Y. over thirty years ago and back then it was great here in Fort Myers. Now it has just over developed and real estate business has gone bust, you can't swing a manatee without hitting an empty house. Jobs have all but dried up unless you are in the health or restaurant business. There is really no big industry here so nothing pays very well, I fortunatly have been with a national company for a long time and bought my home a long time ago so this stuff dosen't really hurt me to bad.
The big thing that ticks me off is the rise in the crime around here, just about every morning you hear on the news about a shooting or a robbery its sad because this place used to be the paradise everybody thinks it is. I'm not going to bash Fort Myers because I still like it here but unfortunatly thinks have changed for the worse. I have raised 3 great kids here and hate having to see them struggle to make a living here. If I were you I'd think long and hard before coming down because you better have a job and a bunch of money before you can settle here.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:26 PM

41 posts, read 121,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner69 View Post
If you are thinking of leaving WNY for Florida I would probably want to think twice. I moved from Tonawanda N.Y. over thirty years ago and back then it was great here in Fort Myers. Now it has just over developed and real estate business has gone bust, you can't swing a manatee without hitting an empty house. Jobs have all but dried up unless you are in the health or restaurant business. There is really no big industry here so nothing pays very well, I fortunatly have been with a national company for a long time and bought my home a long time ago so this stuff dosen't really hurt me to bad.
The big thing that ticks me off is the rise in the crime around here, just about every morning you hear on the news about a shooting or a robbery its sad because this place used to be the paradise everybody thinks it is. I'm not going to bash Fort Myers because I still like it here but unfortunatly thinks have changed for the worse. I have raised 3 great kids here and hate having to see them struggle to make a living here. If I were you I'd think long and hard before coming down because you better have a job and a bunch of money before you can settle here.
I don't mean to pry, but what industries to your children work in?

Old 10-10-2007, 04:40 AM

128 posts, read 648,258 times
No problem, my oldest son is in computers my next son works at the same company I do ( wholesale underground water supply) and my daughter is an asst. manager and server at a restaurant. My oldest and my daughter have one child each and its tough, but dang I love being a grandfather. Now another thing I missed when I moved down here was the family gatherings we had in Buff. during the holidays. We are now starting our own little traditions but its just not the same. I know the felling of having to get out of Buff. I had it when I was 20 years old, I was fortunate enough to travel alot racing sailboats when I was younger so I knew there was more out there. When I moved to Fort Myers I had two friends already here (thinking back I probably would not have done it if they weren't here) so if you don't know anybody here it will be very tough. Got to go I'm at work feel free to ask anything more you must make an informed decision.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:09 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sg928 View Post
Is there anyone from WNY that's has moved to Florida that likes it? What area? and Why? If you just hate it, please tell why also. Thanks.
Not from WNY, but from NY and I like it here (Jacksonville).

Florida is very different than NY, that's for sure, and I think there will always be things you might miss, but there are lots of new things you'll experience that make it a good place to live.

The nature aspect is great - the weather, the exotic plant life, the different animals, the bright sunlight. NY has gorgeous trees and mountains, but Florida's nature is just as beautiful and different - something new for you .

People are people, so I have no complaints about that - there are nice ones and mean ones, smart ones and stupid ones, just like anywhere else. Even here in NorthEast Florida, people are from everywhere (US and abroad), to find an area with only real locals born and raised, you have to head into the rural areas here and even that is changing.

I can't say that I don't think of moving back to NY every once in a while, but I know that even if I went back, I'm not going back to the NY I knew - too much time has passed. No place is perfect, but I have a good life here compared to what it could be in other parts of the country, so I have no plans to leave .

Old 10-18-2007, 04:21 PM

21 posts, read 67,690 times
From wny have lived in Florida for 30 years ad hopefully on my way out. Choose carefully if you are used to property that 1/4 acre lots for miles thing is very disturbing. City people think they have big lawns when they get here. Florida has it's good and bad and it was a different place then than it is now. Everyone talks about the weather it is 90 degrees here still how is that good weather you cannot leave the a/c 10 - 11 months out of the year. People that is another story not very many people are from here those that are are really nice those that aren't want Florida to be like where they come from it's NOT. So you make your choices but be careful what you wish for in this market there is no turning back. hope this helps just do some research there are great places in Florida I personally like where I live but I live on acreage in an area where you cannot have more than one house per 5 acres and no homeowners assoc. don't even get me started on those they tell you what light fixtures you can have on your front porch. Like I said do your homework and don't just talk to realtors everthing is sunny to them if you can close on a house. Go to the walmart and see what kind of people live in the town before you buy. WNY has some beautiful areas and some bad areas same in Florida. Good luck to you

Old 10-18-2007, 07:24 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times
Well, no place is perfect, there are good and bad everywhere.

I still live in Western NY, but I bought a house in central Florida this year, and try to get down there at least 3-4 times a year or more.

Everyone's situation is different, depending on your age, financial situation, weather preferences, etc. I plan on moving there for good in about 3 years.

I can see someone leaving western NY......unless you love snowmobiling, extreme change of seasons, etc, it may not be for everyone. Jobs here are really bad. Taxes are high. Some people have to choose weather to heat or eat. A recent statistic showed that the least amount of people move here then anywhere else in the country.

I know western NY......lived here or years. My one son lives in Hamburg, outside of Buffalo, and my other two sons live in Rochester. I live right between them.

Our schools are good.....that's because I pay more in just school taxes then my entire tax bill in Florida. New York is known as Tax hell......my pension will serve me well in Florida.

Bottom line.....before you move anyplace, visit, research, etc. Thank God we live in a free country where we CAN go anywhere we want. You cannot paint any one state with one big paintbrush. Western NY is way different then NYC.......we have more cows then people where I live......but I have two big cities only 30 miles away.

Florida also is way different, depending on where you go. South Florida is different then North Florida, etc,etc.......

Frank D.

Old 10-19-2007, 04:10 AM

156 posts, read 1,063,762 times
I lived near Rochester for my entire life. A small town outside of it. I have only been in FL since July so I cant say honestly anything yet. Of course I love it so far. There are some things I could like better but I am moving a little closer to work next year and that move will eliminate the couple things I dont care for. I love Florida though. Every vacation here no matter where in florida I was just happy to be in the environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida