Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 06:10 AM

445 posts, read 1,683,166 times

Advertisements

probably the easiest of the problems to fix right about now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 06:30 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,838 times
As Backtofla and kickenbackfl said the people. Some of the most rude and inconsiderate people. I do alot of driving around South Florida for my work and these people are the worst drivers. They do stupid things, and if you look at them after they did another stupid stunt they look at you like what is your problem. Just look at the amount of accidents!
Also some of the nost unethical buisness people I have dealt with.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:33 AM

627 posts, read 2,849,612 times
Residential Development!
There are far too many builders and not enough natural resources to go around.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:36 AM

872 posts, read 1,713,467 times
Prison time for employers who knowingly hire illegals!

Old 10-09-2007, 08:49 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Default root causes... off on a tangent!

Most of us respond to symptoms, not root causes. I don't want to take this too deep, philosophically speaking... but two things control most events.

Attitude and aptitude.

Attitudes that have virtues as their core, find success in many venues, not just in a checkbook balance.
Aptitudes that invest in what they are good at, find success in work well done.

Put them together and the process unfolds... and good processes will produce good products.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:12 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Set interest rates that are commensurate with real productivity gains (that's local productivity, not productivity in China) to squeeze speculation out of the market.

The lack of affordability is the driving force behind the current erosion in real estate prices, while easy credit has only slowed: if allowed to correct itself "naturally" the process would be quicker, and there would be no need to tinker with the tax system as a quick fix.

Better interest rate policy might also help Florida achieve better balance among economic sectors.

Certainly speculation on illegal immigration has gone hand in hand with money market and real estate speculation in this country, and Florida is at the front lines.

Unfortunately, most policymakers neither have a good attitude nor are they very apt, instead they reflect the short-sightedness and greedy materialism of those for whom they set policy and the end product is an otherwise good country suffering some serious financial chaos and misallocation of precious resources, human resources most of all.

Last edited by bale002; 10-09-2007 at 09:55 AM..

Old 10-09-2007, 10:12 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Restore it back to the way it was 1955 to 1960! Pre Disney!!

Old 10-09-2007, 10:20 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
As anyone who reads my posts knows, there's one thing I consider the deciding factor for Florida. What would you target if you had the power to fix it right now? Weather, government, immigration, insurance, taxes? And yes, I think that property tax is the #1 issue, tell me your views!
The crowding and the roads. Our road system has not kept up with the demands. Some of them are like riding washboards. When they fix them all they ever do is add more black top. The road in front of my house and I am not exaggerating, is about six inches higher then the gutter, almost level with the sidewalk. A bike rider could get killed if his tire goes in the gutter. Oh yea, a few bike lanes would be nice also.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:41 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHomeIsInOcala View Post
Residential Development!
There are far too many builders and not enough natural resources to go around.
Yes, yes yes..... This was the straw that broke the camel's back for me... This strip mall, cookie-cutter house, anti-tree attitude. I had a nice little haven in Winter Springs and watched as it was slowly butchered into a treeless extension of strip malls like the rest of 434.... Only a matter of time before 434 is strip malls, townhomes and cookie-cutters all the way to UCF. They need only finish off the remaining 5 miles stretch or so that still DARES to have trees standing...

Old 10-09-2007, 12:44 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Oh yea, a few bike lanes would be nice also.
Yeah, great idea. Our smooth roads out here all have bike lanes. What a waste, I can't say I have ever seen them used; the bikers just ride on the road like the bike lanes don't exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
The lack of a real economy. It is too heavily based on tourism & retirees.

Right now, RE agents are foaming at the mouth for November to come, hoping the RVers will buy an overinflated property b/c they are blinded by the sun & sand.

After that, figuring out the housing mess & start to get rid of the inventory.

But, if there are no real jobs here, how are people going to afford to live here?
Well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida