Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 04:28 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times

Advertisements

I'm curious, just how well known is Publix across the country to other companies? I know they are looked at as like a god here and are consistently rated as one of the best companies to work for.

For example, if I apply to grocery jobs for the major chains in California, or even whatever other job, would Publix be recognized and stand out? Or is it just some regional grocery chain that nobody has heard of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 05:16 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times
Publix is expanding...They are now in the Charlotte Market where the only grocery stores there are Harris Teeter and Lowes, although Lowes doesnt have anymore presence in Charlotte since Harris Teeter bought them out...With that being said, a 70k square foot Publix is going in South Charlotte and is going to be magnificent so I heard from people I know there who are working for them in their SC Store....They will be putting Corporate office in Charlotte as well and will be exploding the market im sure...The people that would know of publix are those Transplants...Northern's know publix because they know them from Florida whether they are snowbirds or have family or vacation, same would be said for most other parts of the country....If they never visited Florida or Parts of GA or SC then they would not know of Publix personally but maybe they have heard it from others who do know who Publix is

Old 01-15-2013, 05:18 PM

213 posts, read 422,318 times
Publix is only in the South East of the US. Outside the South East, not that many people know of Publix.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:12 PM

652 posts, read 1,653,064 times
I grew up in NJ and had never heard of it. The best supermarket up there is Shoprite and many people in other parts may have not heard of it, but it's always clean and well stocked and has great specials and lower prices than Publix. Publix is nice, but their prices are about 20% higher than Albertsons or Winn Dixie.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:36 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,622,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
Publix is expanding...They are now in the Charlotte Market where the only grocery stores there are Harris Teeter and Lowes, although Lowes doesnt have anymore presence in Charlotte since Harris Teeter bought them out...With that being said, a 70k square foot Publix is going in South Charlotte and is going to be magnificent so I heard from people I know there who are working for them in their SC Store....They will be putting Corporate office in Charlotte as well and will be exploding the market im sure...The people that would know of publix are those Transplants...Northern's know publix because they know them from Florida whether they are snowbirds or have family or vacation, same would be said for most other parts of the country....If they never visited Florida or Parts of GA or SC then they would not know of Publix personally but maybe they have heard it from others who do know who Publix is
There is a thread on the Charlotte forum about Publix. So far the store that has opened is getting mixed reviews. I think it is mainly service related which surprises me considering HT's service is very spotty. Publix is also expanding in the Raleigh area. I did not know HT bought out Lowe's.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:29 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,891,120 times
Most people I knew in Nashville HATED Publix when it first came to town. When I left Nashville, Kroger was scared of the competition and started building large, higher class stores around the Publix stores and people generally seemed to start liking Publix over Kroger.

When I mention Publix here in Texas, people look at me like I'm stupid. I have to admit though, that we have a store here called H.E.B. that's similar to Publix.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:37 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,946,544 times
Publix has seen immense and steady growth but sometimes I forget that they are still predominantly a FL chain that is just now beginning to make a stand for other parts of the south east. When I moved to SC a few years back, there was only 1 Publix in our town compared to 4 Ingles, 3 Bi-Lo's, 2 Wal-Mart's, etc, so to people up there, Publix was a unique specialty thing while to us back in CFL, it's a staple.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
There is a thread on the Charlotte forum about Publix. So far the store that has opened is getting mixed reviews. I think it is mainly service related which surprises me considering HT's service is very spotty. Publix is also expanding in the Raleigh area. I did not know HT bought out Lowe's.
Not Ive seen the reviews a freind of mine shops in that publix and really likes it...I lived in Charlotte many years ago and well hated Harris teeter their prices were crazy...

Old 01-15-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowSoFlorida View Post
I grew up in NJ and had never heard of it. The best supermarket up there is Shoprite and many people in other parts may have not heard of it, but it's always clean and well stocked and has great specials and lower prices than Publix. Publix is nice, but their prices are about 20% higher than Albertsons or Winn Dixie.
I grew up in NYC lived in NJ and I knew about publix because my family lives in Florida and my parents are snowbirds..but yes Publix is only in the Southeast

Old 01-16-2013, 05:38 AM

27,212 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
For example, if I apply to grocery jobs for the major chains in California, or even whatever other job, would Publix be recognized and stand out? Or is it just some regional grocery chain that nobody has heard of?
Many in the grocery business (particularly in management) will most likely know of Publix. As to it's perceived quality, maybe not...but I would think the experience would count most anyway, regardless of the grocer's "status".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida