Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 07:35 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terripin View Post
thanks ive been to florida several times and now its time to retire im just asking for some info i dont understand the negativety
Don't take it personally. Some on this forum are ass***** who make assumptions about those with general questions about moving here. I would recommend trying to narrow down where in the state you're focusing on and ask more detailed questions within the specific city forum closest to you. Bear in mind some of the trolls will continue to show up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 07:36 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,118,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would focus around SW Florida, from Bradenton down to Port Charlotte and further on down to Fort Myers and Cape Coral. There are a good number of one bedroom condominiums in the 10K-20K. Some are foreclosures and some are not, and some are communities where one has to be 55 or over. Check out websites like Trulia to look further.
Where are there one bedroom condos in Sarasota for that price? Seriously? I'd like to buy a few.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:18 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,015,119 times
Quote:
thanks ive been to florida several times and now its time to retire im just asking for some info i dont understand the negativety
You have given us ZERO. What is your budget. Do you plan to work? In your original post all you said was you wanted to move down here and can live from a condo to trailer park. That is great info. Maybe if you said you are retiring, looking for a place in a few areas of the state or gave things you like to do I would know what you wanted. But just saying, I have little money but want sunshine makes it seem like you have no plan. I'm not being negative, I am being realistic.

So if you give us some more info maybe we can help. Florida is a big state. It is difficult for us to give you advice when you give us very very very very little info about you and your plan.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:16 PM

48 posts, read 58,440 times
i am retiring i have a place in michigan. im looking for a place in the winter to go if we like it we'll stay and sell our other home.we like the water ;boating ;fishing;etc.if we get something cheap we'll keep both ,if we pay over 100k it will be our new home.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:18 PM

2,962 posts, read 5,003,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Tennessee & Texas would provide a better, more affordable retirement.

However, if you're deadset on Florida, look at the northern parts of the state as they are generally more affordable.
You have to understand, just as you don't like the idea of living in Florida, many couldn't fathom the idea of Texas or Tennessee.

Last edited by HarryWho?; 02-07-2013 at 03:31 PM..

Old 02-07-2013, 02:28 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,500,497 times
Quote:
i am retiring i have a place in michigan. im looking for a place in the winter to go if we like it we'll stay and sell our other home.we like the water ;boating ;fishing;etc.if we get something cheap we'll keep both ,if we pay over 100k it will be our new home.
Saltwater or freshwater? If saltwater then look at places along the intercoastal waterway or harbor towns as they will be cheaper then beach towns.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:29 PM

2,962 posts, read 5,003,528 times
Quote:
I can only say that most people from the midwest seem to head down to the Gulf Coast. I looked all over Florida and wound up on the East Coast. But I lived at the Jersey shore. All my neighbors (a few exceptions) all seem to be from the northeast. Anyway, there are so many choices for condos and manufactured homes that you're sure to find something that will work for you. I originally intended to buy a small place here and keep the house in Jersey but wound up buying a nicer place in Florida and sold the place in Jersey. I'm glad I did now because I can't imagine all the extra work as I age. Take some of Kyles recommended places and do some online research, then make a visit. I did all my actual traveling around Florida in the summer so I could get a handle on the weather.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:44 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,151,675 times
Lots of folk are doing just that and not only in FL.

[quote=TXRyan23;28130832]I thought most people on here would tell the OP in that situation not to worry, that even people with no skills could move down and work 2-3 minimum wage, part-time jobs at McDonalds to get by? [quote]

Old 02-07-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would focus around SW Florida, from Bradenton down to Port Charlotte and further on down to Fort Myers and Cape Coral. There are a good number of one bedroom condominiums in the 10K-20K. Some are foreclosures and some are not, and some are communities where one has to be 55 or over. Check out websites like Trulia to look further.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Where are there one bedroom condos in Sarasota for that price? Seriously? I'd like to buy a few.
Seriously, read much???? Where did I mention Sarasota?

Old 02-07-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
You have to understand, just like you don't like the idea of living in Florida, many couldn't fathom the idea of Texas or Tennessee.
Thanks Harry, exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida