Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 11:35 AM

203 posts, read 310,834 times

Advertisements

Which area would you say is better for families with elementary school children and why? I heard that St. John's county is best for public education. We like the idea of master planned communities with amenities as well? Any major differences between Jacksonville suburbs and Tampa suburbs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 01:18 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,464,436 times
Immediately in the suburbs and everything you do within 10 minutes from the house (grocery shopping, fast food, post office, errands, etc...) to me feels the same.

What the city offers to me is what is different. Tampa to me feels/looks busier. I enjoyed three years in Jacksonville, but I 100% prefer the Tampa area. There is a difference between the East Coast beach and the Gulf of Mexico beach.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post
There is a difference between the East Coast beach and the Gulf of Mexico beach.
What is the difference in the beaches? Water warmer and clearer in Gulf? How are Tampa suburbs for families, schools? Any areas or planned communities you would recommend? I know there are a lot of new communities going in in St Johns County. How about Tampa area?

Old 02-13-2013, 08:17 PM

14 posts, read 28,371 times
I like Tampa better cause it's not just the city of Tampa. You have Clearwater, St. Pete, Anna Maria Island, Sarasota. Disney World is 55 min away. Tampa suburbs are very nice. A lot more to do in Tampa, no disrespect to J-Ville, but bigger with 3 million people in the area & 4 million when you include Bradenton/ Sarasota.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:19 PM

What suburbs/communities would you recommend?

Old 02-14-2013, 02:42 PM

14 posts, read 28,371 times
Best suberbs in Tampa are... New Tampa, Citrus Park, Westchase, Keystone, Land o Lakes. Those would be the best

Old 02-14-2013, 03:46 PM

27,220 posts, read 43,942,133 times
In my opinion St John's County is better for families, starting with the best school district in the state (ranked #1). You won't find the master planned communities so much in the immediate Tampa area like you would just outside of Jacksonville in St John's County's Nocatee or Julington Creek. It's a less congested area than Tampa, it's safer and the cost of living is visibly less. There are more interesting beach towns in my opinion around Jacksonville also with St Augustine and Fernandina Beach as stand outs, plus places in nearby south Georgia like St Simon's and Jekyll Island which have stunningly beautiful beaches for weekend day trips or overnight. Jacksonville offers a wealth of things to do with the usual cultural amenities and things to do, plus great shopping including one of the best malls in the Southeast US at St John's Town Center, which is on the nearby south side of the city (close to St John's County). Savannah and Charleston are easy day trips from Jacksonville too and provide yet more culture/things to do that differ from the primarily beach/amusement park culture of Central Florida.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:55 PM

27,220 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeys285 View Post
I like Tampa better cause it's not just the city of Tampa. You have Clearwater, St. Pete, Anna Maria Island, Sarasota. Disney World is 55 min away.
FYI to the OP...It's an hour and a half from Disney World to downtown Tampa with no traffic. St John's County to Disney World is a hair over two hours with no traffic, which is much more likely than driving to/from Tampa.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:26 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,320,875 times
The beaches and water are better on the Gulf Coast. Tampa/St. Pete obviously have more to offer as a city than Jax.

St. Johns' main advantage is that it is more isolated from dysfunctional families due to severe lack of apartments. That's why the schools are rated so highly. Also, in St. Johns you will probably have a quicker drive to the beach than in the Tampa Bay area (not true if you choose Palm Harbor or Seminole).

Old 02-14-2013, 07:33 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,895,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeys285 View Post
Best suberbs in Tampa are... New Tampa, Citrus Park, Westchase, Keystone, Land o Lakes. Those would be the best
Add Fishhawk too..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida