Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 09:59 AM

8 posts, read 18,035 times

Advertisements

Hi! We r a family of 4 with a 9 yr old son and a 13 yr old daughter. We currently live in Chattanooga and want to move to a beach community. My husband travels all the time so we need to be fairly close to airport (45 minutes or so). We love the idea of the family walking or biking everywhere. We have to drive everywhere now. We moved from Colorado and have found Chattanooga to be way too conservative for us. Also, everyone sends their kids to private schools whether they can afford them or not, so in our neighborhood there r about 10 plus schools that the kids go to. It is a very socially focused place. We want the opposite. We r looking at a laid back place that is safe with good schools. My husband has been down there quite a bit and we r leaning on Neptune Beach. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 11:15 AM

589 posts, read 851,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnomalley View Post
Hi! We r a family of 4 with a 9 yr old son and a 13 yr old daughter. We currently live in Chattanooga and want to move to a beach community. My husband travels all the time so we need to be fairly close to airport (45 minutes or so). We love the idea of the family walking or biking everywhere. We have to drive everywhere now. We moved from Colorado and have found Chattanooga to be way too conservative for us. Also, everyone sends their kids to private schools whether they can afford them or not, so in our neighborhood there r about 10 plus schools that the kids go to. It is a very socially focused place. We want the opposite. We r looking at a laid back place that is safe with good schools. My husband has been down there quite a bit and we r leaning on Neptune Beach. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

If walking and biking is your primary goal, Neptune Beach would be your better option.

Neptune Beach is a bit younger demographic than Ponte Vedra, a bit less expensive, small enough to have a nice sense of community, and closer to the airport, than Ponte Vedra. (about 30 minutes away) Its small size makes it a very bike and walking friendly community, and it is more 'laid back' than Ponte Vedra.

Fletcher middle and high schools, which serve Neptune Beach, are highly rated.

Ponte Vedra will be more expensive, a bit more conservative, a bit farther from the airport, but with outstanding schools. It's quite a bit larger than Neptune Beach, and not nearly as biking and walking friendly.

Any of the beach communities will be safe.

Based on what you say you're looking for, I'd recommend Neptune Beach.

BUT, while you're at it, I'd also check out Atlantic Beach, which is right next to Neptune Beach. I think it offers all the same things as Neptune Beach does, and a little bit more.

Last edited by Nomad58; 02-13-2013 at 12:11 PM..

Old 02-13-2013, 12:00 PM

Thanks so much! Yes, I think that is the place. We do like Atlantic beach too but heard many kids there go to private schools. That is something we want to avoid I heard the best place in Neptune is w of 3rd and e of Pennman so the kids can walk to school. We just have to sell our house now. Not looking forward to that but maybe we will get lucky and sell right away. I REALLY appreciate your feedback. It confirms what we were thinking. We also have thought that if we can't find a house we like we can do a remodel. We shall c. I m very excited to start this new chapter!

Old 02-14-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Thanks so much! Yes, I think that is the place. We do like Atlantic beach too but heard many kids there go to private schools. That is something we want to avoid I heard the best place in Neptune is w of 3rd and e of Pennman so the kids can walk to school. We just have to sell our house now. Not looking forward to that but maybe we will get lucky and sell right away. I REALLY appreciate your feedback. It confirms what we were thinking. We also have thought that if we can't find a house we like we can do a remodel. We shall c. I m very excited to start this new chapter!

I don't have any statistics that address the percentage of Atlantic Beach residents who's children attend private schools. I believe that Atlantic Beach is a little more affluent then Neptune Beach, so I guess that it's likely true that more of their children might go to private schools.

But, don't write off Atlantic Beach yet.

I have several friends that live in Atlantic Beach, and all of them seem to be rational, open minded, down to earth people. Much more moderate, than where you are now, from what little I know about Chattanooga.

In addition, Atlantic Beach is about twice the size of Neptune Beach, so it's likely to offer you several more choices, when it comes to a place to live.

But given your great attitude about your move, I'm sure that you'll end up being very happy, regardless of where you end up living.

Best of luck.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:24 PM

Thx, yes we will definitely move to Atlantic if we find the right house. I did find a wonderful house in n jax beach that is very close to fletcher ms. It is just a few blocks from Neptune beach. That wouldn't matter, would it? I would think that all the kids go to fletcher middle and high school and that the elementary school would be different. Also, does everyone need a pool there? It seems to be the case. I have never had a pool but love the idea of jumping in the pool in the morning to wake up.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Thx, yes we will definitely move to Atlantic if we find the right house. I did find a wonderful house in n jax beach that is very close to fletcher ms. It is just a few blocks from Neptune beach. That wouldn't matter, would it? I would think that all the kids go to fletcher middle and high school and that the elementary school would be different. Also, does everyone need a pool there? It seems to be the case. I have never had a pool but love the idea of jumping in the pool in the morning to wake up.

We have a pool, so I can attest to how nice it is to have one, especially in the middle of the Summer. But, you don't necessarily need one. Depending on how close you end up to the beach, you might be able to use the Atlantic ocean as your pool.

Yes, you are correct about the schools. Everyone in the Jax Beach, Neptune Beach area would end up attending Fletcher middle and high schools.

Jax Beach can in some areas be a little rougher, and more transient than Neptune or Atlantic Beaches, so make sure that you check out the area carefully. Probably nothing to worry about, but it never hurts to be extra careful.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:56 PM

What about st. Augustine beach? I will have to google. R u in a beach town nomad? Just curious. We did hear that jax beach is rougher but the house I saw was so close to Neptune. I guess when we get down there at the end of march to visit for spring break, I will have a better feel. How long have u lived in north Florida?

Old 02-14-2013, 11:01 PM

38 posts, read 67,912 times
North Florida = Rednecks

Chattanooga South ?!?!?!

Old 02-15-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Loco View Post
North Florida = Rednecks

Chattanooga South ?!?!?!

Ha. You make a good point.

But, as long as the OP is looking only at the area's Beach commuities, I think the redneck factor will be substantially reduced. (at least, as much as it can be, in the Jax area)

Old 02-15-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
What about st. Augustine beach? I will have to google. R u in a beach town nomad? Just curious. We did hear that jax beach is rougher but the house I saw was so close to Neptune. I guess when we get down there at the end of march to visit for spring break, I will have a better feel. How long have u lived in north Florida?

St. Augustine Beach is great, and the entire St. Augustine area is about as cool a place as you could possibly hope for.

But, it's quite a haul from there to the Jax airport. Probably would take your husband at least one hour, if not a little more. If he can stand the drive, I would definitely recommend St. Augustine as being worth a look.

One thing to be aware of is that in that part of St. Johns County, the schools probably won't be quite as good as they are in Ponte Vedra, or even Neptune Beach. So, you might end up back in the situation where many of the neighborhood kids are being sent to private schools.

I wouldn't worry too much about the house you found in Jax Beach, since it's so close to Neptune. Just wanted you to be aware of the more transient nature of Jax Beach.

I live about 10 minutes from Neptune and Atlantic Beaches, born and raised in the Jax area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida