Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 11:28 PM

239 posts, read 520,400 times

Advertisements

I've been trying to find information about the town of Edgewater, but I've found only a mention here and there. There seems to be some affordable housing there, so I'm wondering what it is like and if it would be a good place for retirees.

Were looking for a quiet town with low crime and access to medical care. Not really interested in restaurants and shopping, just need the basics...grocery store, pharmacy. A nearby Walmart or Home Depot would be nice.

Is Edgewater a nice town? Would you describe it as quaint, or is it a town with no real downtown and just a bunch of strip malls? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 06:30 AM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Edgewater doesn't have much of an infrastructure and would steer you more toward other areas that have a bit more of a downtown presence, walkable areas and better access to services....particularly hospitals. Without knowing your budget cities like Eustis/Tavares/Leesburg (all three are nice towns with active downtown areas and plenty of services) or St Augustine (north/northwest side or south side, as well as St Augustine Shores) would be my recommendations.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Edgewater doesn't have much of an infrastructure and would steer you more toward other areas that have a bit more of a downtown presence, walkable areas and better access to services....particularly hospitals. Without knowing your budget cities like Eustis/Tavares/Leesburg (all three are nice towns with active downtown areas and plenty of services) or St Augustine (north/northwest side or south side, as well as St Augustine Shores) would be my recommendations.
Thanks for the recommendations. My budget is $75,000 to $100,000. I'll take a look at the towns you suggested.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:20 PM

Would like to find out more about Edgewater since we do like to be by the ocean. How far away is the nearest hospital? Would you need to travel to another town for doctors? Is there anyone who has lived there, who can describe the town?

Old 02-16-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabella20 View Post
Would like to find out more about Edgewater since we do like to be by the ocean. How far away is the nearest hospital? Would you need to travel to another town for doctors? Is there anyone who has lived there, who can describe the town?
St Augustine is near the ocean. Edgewater is actually a bit off the coast and borders the Intracoastal Waterway. If you want to be on the coast in that price range also check out Melbourne as well. Edgewater is not really a town per se, there isn't a downtown and is basically a hodgepodge of businesses and residences. The nearest hospital is in neighboring New Smyrna Beach. Just curious, why the fascination with Edgewater?

Old 02-16-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
St Augustine is near the ocean. Edgewater is actually a bit off the coast and borders the Intracoastal Waterway. If you want to be on the coast in that price range also check out Melbourne as well. Edgewater is not really a town per se, there isn't a downtown and is basically a hodgepodge of businesses and residences. The nearest hospital is in neighboring New Smyrna Beach. Just curious, why the fascination with Edgewater?
My interest in Edgewater is two-fold...the housing prices seemed reasonable and it is close enough to go to the beach without being right at the beach. I've lived in beach towns most of my life and I'd like to avoid party places with lots of transients, noise, traffic congestion, etc. I'm really looking for a quiet retirement area, but close enough to go to the beach. So, if I can find a quiet, affordable neighborhood in a town with the basics, which to me means a grocery store, pharmacy and it would be nice if there were a Walmart and Home Depot type store in a nearby town.

The town I live in now doesn't have a downtown and has very few shops, but it's plenty good enough in regard to shopping because there is a grocery store, pharmacy, health food store, and a post office. We are fortunate in that our doctor is within walking distance from our home, but that's a bonus, not a necessity.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
My interest in Edgewater is two-fold...the housing prices seemed reasonable and it is close enough to go to the beach without being right at the beach. I've lived in beach towns most of my life and I'd like to avoid party places with lots of transients, noise, traffic congestion, etc. I'm really looking for a quiet retirement area, but close enough to go to the beach. So, if I can find a quiet, affordable neighborhood in a town with the basics, which to me means a grocery store, pharmacy and it would be nice if there were a Walmart and Home Depot type store in a nearby town.

The town I live in now doesn't have a downtown and has very few shops, but it's plenty good enough in regard to shopping because there is a grocery store, pharmacy, health food store, and a post office. We are fortunate in that our doctor is within walking distance from our home, but that's a bonus, not a necessity.
I definitely get your criteria and would say St Augustine Shores, Northern or Southern Saint Augustine and most of Melbourne would fit your criteria substantially better than Edgewater.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
I definitely get your criteria and would say St Augustine Shores, Northern or Southern Saint Augustine and most of Melbourne would fit your criteria substantially better than Edgewater.
Thanks very much...I'll check out those two towns. I appreciate the information!

Old 02-17-2013, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Thanks very much...I'll check out those two towns. I appreciate the information!
Yikes, the St Augustine housing market has recovered better than it had been a year or so ago. There isn't much there in your price range. You might also add Sebastian to your list which is south of Melbourne. There's quite a bit there too and you get a lot of house for the money.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:31 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,373,579 times
you will be very comfortable in edgewater , it has more of the rural feel than daytona and new smyrna has a hospital
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida