Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 10:47 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdread View Post
That is true, if I had the $ I'd be living in Midtown or Downtown MIA where all the action is. I live right by downtown Ft. Lauderdale and it's pretty quiet here.
I lived near downtown fort lauderdale before moving to Miami, again HATED IT. You can find decent rents here in Miami, in the areas you named. You just have to get a realtor, tell them your budget and let them look for you. You would be surprised what they can turn up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 11:16 PM

93 posts, read 312,383 times
Its funny that you mentioned Charlotte, NC. A medium-sized big city. I'm from that area. The problem with Charlotte is that its too boring and family-oriented, if you need a life, don't move there.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:08 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,476,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Charlotte

Less Superficial? Almost any city will do except for possibly LA.

Better economy? I chose Charlotte because it keeps you somewhere with decent weather and a lot of companies are HQed in Charlotte.
I don't see how you're gonna last in Charlotte. After Boston and Miami, that place is gonna be B-O-R-I-N-G!

Old 11-15-2013, 01:23 AM

115 posts, read 145,371 times
Houston.. Good place to jumpstart your career, depending on what your into.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:01 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem Shake View Post
Go back to Chicago. The south is full of overgrown suburbs.
Every major city on earth has overgrown suburbs

Old 11-15-2013, 06:18 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
. We now live in Coconut Grove and LOVE it! Vibrant, walkable, a lot of events going on etc. etc. Could not be happier. I would look at Brickell Village (Brickell), Downtown Miami, Edgewater, Midtown/design district or South Beach..
The OP said he was in customer service. Unless he's a senior manager, and it didn't sound like it, he will not be able to afford those places.

Heck I'd LOVE to live in Coral Gables or Brickell but it is just too expensive.

Old 11-16-2013, 04:59 AM

59 posts, read 99,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatboybigbFL View Post
I am so done with South FL. I moved to Miami from Chicago six years ago. I then came out to Lauderdale and have been here five years.

I want to live in a city, not a big suburb which is what Lauderdale really is IMO

Main thing, I want to be around more down to earth folks, and the main main thing is that I want to be in a city that is more economically successful.

South FL economy makes me sick. I don't want to do customer service for the rest of my life unless it's going to pay me better. South FL wages known to blow.

Which city would you choose?
From the looks of it, it's not the city or the people...but your J ust O ver B roke! I have lived in South Florida and it is a wonderful place to live--if you can afford it. Just don't be broke trying to live there or you will suffer dearly! You must've moved down there thinking you were going to make all this wonderful money and live like a king, only to land a poorly paid customer service rep job. It's not the people, it's your earnings. It's the SOUTH! The lower tiered jobs don't make the kind of money that equates to what you would make in the north because the cost of living isn't the same. Trust me, if you made more money, the people wouldn't even matter! Have you tried working from home? Working for yourself? Do you know anybody who does? Then you need to talk to them and find out what it is that they're doing so you can do it, too!

Go on Youtube, get educated on the various ways people make/earn money from home. You need a skill and another mindset. You can earn a great living, but you have to open your mind up to it. It doesn't even cost a lot, depending on which niche' you go into. Good luck!

Old 11-16-2013, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
The OP said he was in customer service. Unless he's a senior manager, and it didn't sound like it, he will not be able to afford those places.

Heck I'd LOVE to live in Coral Gables or Brickell but it is just too expensive.
You can live there...but you first, have to change your mindset! If you are stuck in that 'oh my job doesn't pay me enough...' mode, then you will never be able to afford to live where you want or choose. Find another way! Find something you can do that can start you on the fast track to living the life of your dreams and wham! Before you know it, you will be living in your dream gated community, living in your 5,000 sq foot home with a pool and driving around in your $150,000 car! It first starts with getting up out of that JOB mentality! Good luck!

Old 11-16-2013, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatboybigbFL View Post
I am so done with South FL. I moved to Miami from Chicago six years ago. I then came out to Lauderdale and have been here five years.

I want to live in a city, not a big suburb which is what Lauderdale really is IMO

Which city would you choose?
I know of Fort Lauderdale and I know of Lauderdale Lakes...but I have never heard of a place called Lauderdale. Where exactly IS that?

Old 11-16-2013, 08:03 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biznotjobs View Post
You can live there...but you first, have to change your mindset! If you are stuck in that 'oh my job doesn't pay me enough...' mode, then you will never be able to afford to live where you want or choose. Find another way! Find something you can do that can start you on the fast track to living the life of your dreams and wham! Before you know it, you will be living in your dream gated community, living in your 5,000 sq foot home with a pool and driving around in your $150,000 car! It first starts with getting up out of that JOB mentality! Good luck!
Unfortunately, not in Miami. The city just doesn't work like that and there aren't jobs that pay well unless you are in a few select fields.

Miami just doesn't lend itself to personal gain through hard work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida