Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2013, 06:42 PM

9 posts, read 8,715 times

Advertisements

Hey there Florida folk,

Another soon to be mid-20s graduating student thinking very seriously about a move to Florida in May. I've been out in Boston for the past 4 years getting a degree, but more importantly getting lots of work experience in my field instead of just a piece of paper. I'm not from the Northeast at all, and honestly while I like a lot of things about Boston, there's just something about it that makes me want to move and not come back. Everyone here says I look and act like I'm from a warm beach, although I'm not sure what that necessarily encompasses. A love of sandals and being outside? Guess that's not a Boston thing, haha.

Anyway, my questions revolve around where I should look around the state for renting/any place that has reliable public transportation. I won't be able to secure a car for awhile because I'll actually need to get a FL license (I used the MBTA out here the entire time, so never bothered). I'm more interested in rooming with others to bring my costs down, and because more than likely I won't have a job right away and will have to find something outside of my field temporarily. Most of my work has been with marine animals and undergrad research, and I'd love to continue that at a local aquarium or with some sort of research/conservation/etc opportunity. A coworker from this past summer's aquarium internship told me not to worry and that I'll find something very quickly, as she recently did. I'll be fine financially for awhile, and I'm not very materialistic… just as long as I'm healthy and outside, I'm happy. I've got a varied skill set and good people skills, so I'm not worried about finding a full-out job if I just give myself some time.

So yeah! For the short version, ideally I'm hoping to be within close access to beaches and a workable public transit system (not long-term, will have a car eventually). I'm not sure how to start narrowing down my search save for job opportunities. If I decide that Florida has the most going for it, after graduation in a month or so I'm going to just take a hotel room and look around if I haven't secured housing already. Thanks for your insight and assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 10:22 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
I think you've answered your own question about where to live. You said you wanted to work in a marine/aquarium type situation.

Florida is a big state geographically and such facilities are comparatively few in number. Here's a link to them.

Attractions - Aquariums, Zoos & Animals

Thus, you'd want to check what jobs might be available and then look into housing in any area where there might be a job. Most are in built up areas, so transportation should not be too much of a problem.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:51 AM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times
It will be very difficult to live and work in Florida without a car. It's completely different than Boston. I'd even say Los Angeles is still light years ahead of Florida in terms of public transit. I would save money until you can at least buy a cheap car.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:43 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
The research aquariums and marine laboratories are numerous in Florida along with the public aquariums which would give you many choices through out Florida.
Dependent upon which you are able to find work at the transportation options will vary widely. Mote in Sarasota has decent public transportation and Clearwater Marine Aquarium you can find a 2 bedroom rental within walking distance of work, supermarket and, depending upon how far you like to walk, even the beach.
I am sure the larger cities like Miami and Ft.Lauderdale could accommodate even more options but of course the cost to rent would be higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida