Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 10:13 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
The best part of FL (at least parts of central and most of south FL) is that you don't have to deal with that bible belt element like you do in the rest of the "deep south"
I guess it depends on who you are, I personally prefer the "Deep South" I prefer to live amongst nice people with morals, granted, not all "bible belt element" are good folk, but I'd say it's at least 50/1, good/bad.

I guess that's why I've preferred life in Tennessee, Louisiana, and Texas over my life in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 04:24 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
Quote:
The best part of FL (at least parts of central and most of south FL) is that you don't have to deal with that bible belt element like you do in the rest of the "deep south"
Much better to deal with gang bangers and drive-bys, isn't it?

Old 04-18-2013, 05:56 AM

66 posts, read 97,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Or homeless

Old 04-18-2013, 07:11 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfitch21 View Post
Or homeless

Nah, I am sure it's much better trying to live with people who don't have tolerance for other religions and don't see the unfortunate necessity of abortions in this day and age.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:13 AM

861 posts, read 1,456,082 times

Old 04-18-2013, 12:37 PM

198 posts, read 464,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
People escape from the NE (and West Coast, for that matter) because of horrible, liberty restricting laws, high cost of living, high taxes, ect, ect.. They see states like Florida (and Texas, Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina, ect, ect) as places of refuge, places to "escape" to. Places that are cheaper to live, have lower taxes, and are generally great places to live, THEN they complain about how things are "different" from "back home" and they complain about the lacking amenities, complain about the lacking laws, ect, ect, and eventually they use the power of their votes to change their new homes into what they left behind.

Eventually, Florida will become what everyone was in a hurry to leave behind, and they'll move on to somewhere else.

The changes can be seen in Texas, for example, Austin is great little town, but it's a lost cause.
That has happened here in Vermont. Out of staters have been flooding our state and getting into the government so they can have the same "culture" from whence they came from (and wanted to escape from). Now we have the 4th highest tax burden in the country behind Cal, NY and NJ and our population is around 600K! They have taxed us out of the state and we are moving to Florida next week. It is a shame that the native Vermonters can no longer afford to live here (no jobs either) or they are losing their homesteads to the tax man.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:55 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtallison View Post
That has happened here in Vermont. Out of staters have been flooding our state and getting into the government so they can have the same "culture" from whence they came from (and wanted to escape from). Now we have the 4th highest tax burden in the country behind Cal, NY and NJ and our population is around 600K! They have taxed us out of the state and we are moving to Florida next week. It is a shame that the native Vermonters can no longer afford to live here (no jobs either) or they are losing their homesteads to the tax man.
I always thought VT was kinda a liberal big-government kind of state. Is it not? Didn't the governor support things like the universal healthcare system you guys have now?

Old 04-18-2013, 01:18 PM

28 posts, read 50,384 times
Quote:
Yeah, but in South Florida you have to deal with New Yorker's continually telling you how much better the pizza is in New York than in South Florida, which is annoying because it is not even remotely accurate.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:20 PM

28 posts, read 50,384 times
Quote:
I always thought VT was kinda a liberal big-government kind of state. Is it not? Didn't the governor support things like the universal healthcare system you guys have now?
People always blame their problems on the new arrivals.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:27 PM

198 posts, read 464,382 times
It is supposed to go in effect by 2017, so no we do not have universal healthcare. There are currently a lot of programs for the poor, so if that is what liberalism is, I guess we are, lol. But seriously the new tax program that Shumlin is trying to ram down our throats will create even higher taxes for the citizens of VT. They cannot come up with incentives to lure businesses here so there are no jobs to be had. Lots of poverty and people on public assistance. Our of staters come in and buy the few outrageously priced homes and then the towns raise the tax rate because one home in town sold for $400K and the rest are worth $100K or less. So the town then says your home is now assessed at $175K but the banks do not appraise them for that much so it is very difficult to sell or buy a home if you need a loan. The people who run this state were not even born here.
Sorry, had to vent. Unless you have a lot of money to sustain you, Vermont is a very expensive place to live and work (if you can even find a well paying job). But it is pretty to look at 4 months of the year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida