Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 01:16 PM

11 posts, read 43,565 times

Advertisements

Ok so I bet that isn't what you would expect to hear from some one who has lived in the area for 5 generations and is a true Florida Native. Or maybe it is. And yes you read that right 5 generations. My Great grandparents used to plant their garden where my home now sits. However, I am so tired of the area and the ever growing population. Not to mention the over all demeanor of every one including law enforcement. The area is obviously much different then what it used to be and I find it now sad to drive around and see the progress/destruction. I know that there is good and bad with progress but honestly I am just over it. My husband works in St Pete and we have been playing with the idea of moving to Homosassa/Weeki Wachee/Crystal River/Spring Hill/Brooksville area. We love the out doors. Kayaking the wonderful rivers, Scalloping, diving, and just enjoying old Florida.

On the other hand, we also have 3 boys ages 17, 14, 2 and another boy due in July. We are obviously wanting to move before the new baby comes.

My questions....Although this sounds like a wonderful theory for ourselves I was wondering what the area offers for kids, Teenagers & little ones. I am familar with Homosassa Springs, Weeki Wachee, etc. The 17 year old works for a dive shop in Brandon and I am confident we can find him a job with another dive shop in the area. I just don't want them to be bored out of their minds. The weekends I am sure we will be in the boat or finding out door things to do, but I am worried about schools and the over all area influence on teens. How are the schools? I am looking to rent for at least the first year or two till we get used to the area and decide if we should make it permanent. Can you suggest which area you think would be best for our likes and situation. We would obviously need a 4br or larger and would like the opportunity to park our boat and camper with out receiveing notice from HOA every other day.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 07:44 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmno2802 View Post
Ok so I bet that isn't what you would expect to hear from some one who has lived in the area for 5 generations and is a true Florida Native.
I expected to hear it, when I left in August of 2000, I vowed that I'd never move back to Tampa (although I think that was an empty threat, because I do sometimes miss it.) You're right, however, It's not what it once was.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:46 AM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,141,935 times
TX ryan, what are your favorite florida cities and why?

Old 04-17-2013, 02:30 PM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Check out Citrus County. The school district is among the Top 12 in the state and towns like inverness and Homosassa are nice places to live.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:22 AM

12 posts, read 15,126 times
I agree!! We are stationed here in Tampa and I hate it, i def. want to move!

Old 05-27-2013, 10:36 AM

51 posts, read 95,032 times
I lived in Tampa for my high school and some college years. I will never move back! In fact, I even dislike visiting the area. My family has moved to Plant City since I left but even that area's getting bad.

If I did move back to Florida, I would check out Lecanto, Homosassa, Ormond Beach or Palm Coast. I don't know about the school districts in either but I know I like the areas. They're quiet and have a slow (enough) pace for me.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:07 PM

443 posts, read 558,680 times
Glad I'm not alone in my feelings. When (not if) I leave Tampa, I'm never coming back.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:45 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
I never liked the arm pit of Florida. It was always a breath of fresh air coming to Orlando. It is so much cleaner and organized. I really love South Florida too.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:29 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
This thread should be moved to the Tampa forum for a little rebuttal.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:32 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
TX ryan, what are your favorite florida cities and why?
#1. Tallahassee - It's a small big city, it's beautiful, it has a lot of trees, a small population, rolling hills, and access to some of the most beautiful beaches in the world.

#2. Ft. Myers - It's not as nice as it used to be, but I love the laid back feeling of life in Ft. Myers. It's not overly populated, has access to decent beaches, and has a lot of access to "old Florida" style farms such as sugar cane, orange groves, ect, ect.

#3. Tampa/St. Pete - I was raised in the Bay Area from the age of 2-18, it's home to me. Honestly, that's about the only reason why I'd consider moving to or living there again. I know it may sound absurd to say that the Bay Area is overcrowded while living in and championing Houston, but there's a difference between the two, Pinellas County, for example, is a small peninsula and it's just too congested. I grew up around the Brandon area and it makes me sad to see how packed and crowded it is these days. Cost of living and lack of decent jobs is another reason.

Orlando is much too busy and has too much crime for my liking, Miami (does it really need an explanation?), Jacksonville, I've always thought was "okay" I never really spent much time up that way but my lasting memory from my visits was how much the air stunk up there.

Daytona, West Palm Beach, Naples, Ocala, and Gainesville are all great places, but have limited supplies of employment. Panama City, Pensacola, Fort Walton, ect, ect, are all GREAT places to visit and vacation, but I'd suspect that employment and a decent cost of living are hard to come by.

It's just my opinions though. However, if I won a huge lottery jackpot or something, those opinions would likely skew a bit..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida