Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2013, 10:45 AM

2 posts, read 2,033 times

Advertisements

My husband has retired and we are looking for a retirement home in Florida. We have family in different parts of the state but can not decide where we want to be. Our interest are fishing, flea martkets, bingo (gambling) and antiques. Looking for a place we feel safe (even if we leave for a month to come back home) and not worry about our place being destroyed while we are gone. Do not need to be on the beach but would like to know how far it is when we do want to spend the day. Also would like fishing in the area info. We are from a town in Indiana about the same size as Inverness, but the only shopping we have is one grocery and of cource Wal-Mart. Does Inverness have more shopping options than this?
Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated. We are planning a trip to the area in the next couple of months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 08:45 PM

36 posts, read 87,852 times
My sister lives in Inverness. I haven't visited there in a quite a while, but what I remember there isn't a lot of shopping options. I know she goes to Ocala a lot to go shopping. That's where a lot of the chain restaurants are too.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:30 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondjane View Post
My husband has retired and we are looking for a retirement home in Florida. We have family in different parts of the state but can not decide where we want to be. Our interest are fishing, flea martkets, bingo (gambling) and antiques. Looking for a place we feel safe (even if we leave for a month to come back home) and not worry about our place being destroyed while we are gone. Do not need to be on the beach but would like to know how far it is when we do want to spend the day. Also would like fishing in the area info. We are from a town in Indiana about the same size as Inverness, but the only shopping we have is one grocery and of cource Wal-Mart. Does Inverness have more shopping options than this?
Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated. We are planning a trip to the area in the next couple of months.
Inverness has a few grocery stores and big box stores as well, so it's not lacking in the basics. Ocala is an easy half hour drive for the more specialized things. Bear in mind there is no beach nearby and getting to one is a schlep from there because the coast just to the west doesn't have a sandy shore. The closest traditional sandy beach will be two hours away in Clearwater. Given that you're looking for something closer to the water and around the same size town with a sense of personal safety, I'd recommend checking out Englewood and neighboring Rotonda West when you visit. They're south of Sarasota and on the coast, but extending inland as well. The area has plenty to do in terms of your criteria list and no worries in terms of lack of nearby stores/services. Englewood has pretty much everything as does nearby Port Charlotte to the east.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,033 times
Default Inverness info

Thank you for your valued info. we will be sure to explore suggested areas as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida