Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 08:38 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,688,437 times

Advertisements

The OP sounds ridiculous.
What does "normal," "average" "American" even mean anyway?

U want a place with mostly white people and not a lot of foreigners, but u also dont want rednecks or hillbillys.

Why would someone in a truck bother u while u ride ur bike? lol Shop without some jerks coming up to u? When does that ever happen anyway?

Why dont u just stay where you're at. FL does not need "people like you."..... u would not be an asset. Sorry, but it's kinda true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 03:33 PM

65 posts, read 103,234 times
Clearwater where i live does NOT have alot of professional jobs, competition is high, traveling to Tampa is almost a must. I am considering moving to Maitland or Altamonte Springs area for work.

I have been back now 3 months and no work yet and i have an Masters in Health Care Admin, im getting very discouraged, may need to leave soon.

Old 06-18-2016, 07:28 PM

507 posts, read 515,580 times
I would have to say Florida is not what you are looking for. I agree with another poster, try California.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:35 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,417,559 times
I don't know- I live in supposedly sophisticated Palm Besch county and encounter lots of idiocy. Nosy people who watch way too much reality TV and judge your actions by what they see there. That mentality can be anywhere.

You just have to look . Not sure which rural area you are talking about.
Have you tried tech groups on meetup.com, cheesy as that may sound?
I actually love Lake County . I've met many cool educated people (artists, environmentalists, wildlife biologists, and business owners )there as well as Jesus freaks etc.

I'm a vegan atheist by the way. One of my favorite towns has a bbq place or church on every block, but it has its good points.

There are a surprising number of us in Central Florida. People down here have always told me I'd be out of place up there. I just had to look.
The folks I've met up there say they don't care what I believe or eat, just don't take away their guns.

However, if you want to work in tech and can keep up with the big boys it would be better to go elsewhere. Good luck

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 06-23-2016 at 03:08 PM..

Old 06-27-2016, 02:50 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,571,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuXCezzinFL View Post
REDNECK ALERT!!! RedneckWho?

Here we go with the "it must be you" garbage again.........

Logic also tells me schemes are being used by offended posters to attempt to discredit me and bias the opinions of people reading this thread to turn away the issue of finding a place in FL without the problem folks. That is a common psychological tactic in Polk County of silencing the whistleblower, because so much weird shtuff goes on, they have to keep people quiet.

But yet, there are SO many posts on city-data about avoiding the FL hicks, so I guess it's just me, riiiiight.......I must be the only one?!?!?!??? LOFL

If the majority of rural folks would show courtesy and manners towards others, and be tolerant of other peoples' differences, and not become closed minded, bigoted, rude, judgmental, ignorant pricks, then they would be accepted. They are too STUPID to realize things like individuality, and that other people do things their own way, and do not conform to your views, or the neighbors. They even proceed to pry and ask "why do you do it that way" with a condescending tone implying I'm wrong for not doing it their way. Ignorant sheep!

They all want to "git ta know ya" and be your "friend" rather easy, only to see what you got and what your business is, only to turn on ya later.

Any time in life I "accept" them, they cause nothing but problems and dissapointment for me in my life.

They are no longer accepted. PERIOD!

I'm done feeding the trolls............
And yet you are wanting everyone to conform to your world view, because you are correct in all your opinions
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I understand wanting to be around people with similar interests, values etc. But sometimes you can learn from "stupid" people. Or you might find you build friendships with some people who think differently from you.

I come from a very well educated family, even those without letters after their name are well-read, worldly and open minded... And guess what some of them have heavy Southern accents and they dress like rednecks.

One of my good friends lives in a trailer in a small very southern town between Gainesville and Jacksonville, he holds 2 masters degrees in quantum physics and astronomy and he is also gay... But he drives a pick-up, has a Southern accent etc

You will find nosy annoying people in every community on this earth... it part of human nature. You cant live life worrying about what other people think. Live your life!

NOT TO SOUND TRITE OR USE A CLICHE: Any place is what you make it and wherever you go, you will be there

Old 06-27-2016, 04:03 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,122,063 times
Try Overland Park Kansas, Salt Lake City Utah. Those may be places like stixk up the butt people like yourself would be welcomed and accepted. There is no place in FL where you would find the people you are looking for exclusively.

Quote:
For the average person, looking for the most average type environment with normal, everyday American people in FL, where would you go???

Where are you likely to go in FL without having to be rich, or deal with accent-talking rude people? A FL place where the average American can come from any state and almost feel at home and not like they are in the "Outer Limits" or "Twilight Zone" ???

Are there places in Florida that just have that "normal" feel? Where you can just shop and do normal things and people don't bother you by saying weird things to you? Places that don't try to make you feel socially awkward for not doing things as weird as they do ('round here mentality). Where you don't have some uneducated nosy neighbors trying to pry in your business, just to ridicule you for doing things way too technical for them to understand in the first place (electronics & computers)? Where you can just ride your bicycle without some jerk in a big truck peeling out next to you as a poor attempt to pad their ego because they think that truck makes them better than you? (I have a car BTW, stupid idiots)

Where I can actually talk about computers, internet, electrical, cars, without some uneducated goober trying to talk me down for not talking on their level. (Sorry, I do more than drink beer and watch TV) A place where guys are not all insecure with each other and every conversation does not turn into an ego battle, or "one better" competition, losing sight of all facts.

Is there still some affordable places in FL without dealing with all the low-class, socially underdeveloped BS? Are the rural types EVERYWHERE with no ESCAPE but to LEAVE FL????

Clarification: This is not a hate thread, don't get offended by me looking for more civilized, average everyday "American" type people" I'm looking for educated people with actual manners and courtesy to others, unlike many I find here in FL. If you don't like that fact I'm trying to avoid less compatible people, in exchange for more compatible people, then get your computer illiterate self off the computer, and find something else to do!

Old 06-27-2016, 04:17 PM

902 posts, read 1,104,295 times
Quote:
I'll get over it only when I get some more $$$ and move elsewhere. Any other recommendations of better places in FL? I appreciate all the replies so far, I have been researching different FL cities in an attempt to improve the quality of life, at least until enough $$$ comes to leave FL completely.

Seeing how circuit board techs get paid ~$40/hr in Portland, Oregon vs ~$15/hr in Clearwater, FL is disturbing, but I'd like to make it in FL until I can afford the big move. At least Clearwater doesn't have as much RURAL types, but cost of living is high unless you are rich.
If you think the cost of living in Clearwater is high you are in for a big shock in Portland OR

Old 06-27-2016, 04:31 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,122,063 times
Yeah, but he can swell up when he gets his pay check, well at least for a few minutes.

Old 07-03-2016, 12:33 PM

296 posts, read 319,213 times
So you're looking for a place with people like you....that's not a weird question, however people who sound like you SEEM to think they are diverse, so any major city, with lots of diversity would fit the bill. You don't want rednecks or stupid people. You don't like type A ego guys, or drunks. Big truck guys are out too. No good old boy network, but has to be affordable and filled with socially developed types.

There are other requirements but these are the some of the big ones......lets see, where is this magical city in Florida? Hmmmmm, can't help you.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:55 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,842 times
I agree - Florida is very lowbrow. It sounds like you'd be better off just about anywhere else. Consider Denver, Portland, Seattle, San Diego, the SF Bay Area, Sacramento, Austin, Raleigh, Madison or Minneapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida