Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 09:36 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times

Advertisements

So you are driving on a four lane road, and come upon a car driving more slowly than you and you start to pass that car and someone comes up behind you doing twenty miles over the speed limit and you end up with a ticket because you cannot get to the right lane because the other car is there. Who wants to drive in a state that has a law like that? You are giving control of the roads to lawbreakers and making sane drivers the bad person.

That is how this law will work. Mark my words.

It's a bad law.

Florida would be better off to put up a few signs to help direct drivers away from bad situations such as road construction or toll booths around a curve. That might save a few lives.

I worked with a person who moved to Florida and then moved back here. Her reason was that she wanted to live. She said that she felt her life threatened every time she started home in her car. She said people were riding bumpers at high speeds.

A better law would be to ticket those people following too close. Knoxville has done it and it is now a pleasure to drive through that town.

I think it boils down to "if you want to stay alive, stay out of Florida where lawbreakers rule."

Last edited by NCN; 05-09-2013 at 09:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 09:43 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,949,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
So you are driving on a four lane road, and come upon a car driving more slowly than you and you start to pass that car and someone comes up behind you doing twenty miles over the speed limit and you end up with a ticket because you cannot get to the right lane because the other car is there. Who wants to drive in a state that has a law like that? You are giving control of the roads to lawbreakers and making sane drivers the bad person.

It's a bad law.
You are not permitted by law to stop people from breaking other laws, we call that being a vigilante right? Well not moving over when somebody is breaking the law by doing 20 over is kind of the same thing. So I don't see this law as giving control of the roads to the lawbreakers, but rather it takes away your ability to play safety patrol and creates a safer scenario until the police can do their job. Bottom line, you are upset about something and are taking the desired effects of this law way out of context.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:00 AM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
You are not permitted by law to stop people from breaking other laws, we call that being a vigilante right? Well not moving over when somebody is breaking the law by doing 20 over is kind of the same thing. So I don't see this law as giving control of the roads to the lawbreakers, but rather it takes away your ability to play safety patrol and creates a safer scenario until the police can do their job. Bottom line, you are upset about something and are taking the desired effects of this law way out of context.
No I am not. Many people choose to ride the bumper of other cars in order to bully the driver in front of them. This law encourages that behavior. It is sending the wrong message. It's your law; enjoy it until someone has the sense to do away with it and make laws to make the road a safer place to drive. That would be to rid the road of speeders and drunks. Florida has a major problem of both of those--in my opinion.

In your post you basically told me I would have to speed up another 20 mph rather than continue to safely pass the other car. One should never have to go higher than the speed limit to pass a car on a road with more than one lane. And you should not have to follow along behind a car doing less than the speed limit or be controlled by that person doing 20 miles over the speed limit. I will repeat. IT IS A BAD LAW.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:04 AM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:

It's a bad law.

Florida would be better off to put up a few signs to help direct drivers away from bad situations such as road construction or toll booths around a curve. That might save a few lives.

I worked with a person who moved to Florida and then moved back here. Her reason was that she wanted to live. She said that she felt her life threatened every time she started home in her car. She said people were riding bumpers at high speeds.

A better law would be to ticket those people following too close. Knoxville has done it and it is now a pleasure to drive through that town.

I think it boils down to "if you want to stay alive, stay out of Florida where lawbreakers rule."
The point of this legislation is to limit road rage. When someone is in a hurry, let them risk getting a ticket. The far left lane is technically meant for passing. That is why there are signs in most states that say, SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT. This isn't meant for stop and go traffic, it's to stop people from going slow in the passing lane.

They already have signs for double speeding fines in construction zones and they have toll signs. Your friend sounds like an idiot that probably would have a heart attack walking through Times Square thinking every person is a bomb strapping terrorist.

There are laws for tailgating already. However, it is common sense that a person driving slow shouldn't be in the PASSING LANE. I know this is a hard concept for your mind to grasp, it is okay, we are here for you. One of the main reasons for road rage is a slow driver in the fast/passing lane with a string of 50 cars behind them. This forces people to now go into the other lanes under stress, which increases the risk not only to themselves, but the slow drivers that are being courteous and following the unwritten rules of the road. Now the unwritten rules of the road will actually be the written laws, thank god!

Old 05-09-2013, 10:06 AM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
No I am not. Many people choose to ride the bumper of other cars in order to bully the driver in front of them. This law encourages that behavior. It is sending the wrong message. It's your law; enjoy it until someone has the sense to do away with it and make laws to make the road a safer place to drive. That would be to rid the road of speeders and drunks. Florida has a major problem of both of those--in my opinion.
They would have to ride on someone's bumper if the person would move out of the way... it isn't rocket science

Old 05-09-2013, 10:18 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,949,187 times
Quote:

In your post you basically told me I would have to speed up another 20 mph rather than continue to safely pass the other car. One should never have to go higher than the speed limit to pass a car on a road with more than one lane. And you should not have to follow along behind a car doing less than the speed limit or be controlled by that person doing 20 miles over the speed limit. I will repeat. IT IS A BAD LAW.
No I didn't mean to imply that you break the law over somebody breaking the law behind you. You find a way to move over period. Try using your turn signal which will alert the car in the right lane next to you of your intention to get over and it will also let the speeder behind you know that you plan to get out of their way which can cut down on some of this road rage the new law is trying to prevent.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:06 AM
NCN

I see that no one on this thread realizes that the law your state just made not only puts the lawbreakers in control but also penalizes and terrorizes normal law abiding citizens. My husband and I have a saying. "We haven't lost a thing in Florida, so there is no reason to ever go back there."

Road rage gets the tickets in North Carolina. Self-control is the answer to road rage; not putting them in control. The only reason I have commented here is because this bad law is going around the country and I want to put a stop to being blamed because someone else does not understand speeding laws and does not know how to drive. Back off!

It is really sad when a state that wants people to come and visit makes it so unsafe that it is no longer a pleasure to do so.

We drive all over the country. In the past five years we have been from here to the Canadian border and to Ventura, California. Your comments about how you think I drive are comical. I drive just fine. But we have chosen to leave Florida off places we ever want to visit again. Florida is not a safe place.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:30 PM

652 posts, read 1,653,659 times
Quote:
Florida drivers are the biggest speeders in the country. .
I've never seen slower drivers. You are lucky if you can get to 45 MPH on Federal Highway because everyone in all 3 lanes are driving slower than that. Also good luck on I95 trying to go faster than the speed limit (which is normal in most places to go 10 mph about the speed limit and cops won't usually ticket you for that) because you have to keep going around people to do it.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:34 PM

652 posts, read 1,653,659 times
Quote:
No I am not. Many people choose to ride the bumper of other cars in order to bully the driver in front of them. This law encourages that behavior. It is sending the wrong message. IT IS A BAD LAW.
It's not a bad law, you are supposed to keep to the right. Don't hold up everyone behind you because you are too inconsiderate to get out of someone's way. If someone is behind you in the left lane you are supposed to get out of the way. If someone is riding your bumper why would you want to stay in the fast lane driving slowly just to prove the point that you don't care about anyone but yourself?

Old 05-09-2013, 04:29 PM

104 posts, read 240,617 times
Ohio has a law that you have to drive in the right lane unless your passing another car. If you drive/stay in the left hand lane you will get a ticket. Sounds like what Florida did. Ohio got tired of slow drivers in the left hand lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: