Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 03:58 PM

62 posts, read 1,276,305 times

Advertisements

Working from home, I have some opportunities to work where I want.
My best friend lives in Orlando. My girlfriends family is looking to move to Tampa.
We have a two year old, so not only do I want good schools, but I want somewhere, where there is opportunity for him and even me. I mean when he's older, I want him to have a chance to really be successful. Coming from a smaller city, we really have limited options, and there really isn't a ton of money around here. I want him to have all the opportunities possible.

I'd prefer a younger city, that's growing and safe as well.
Was looking at Palm Harbor north of St Pete, but wondering if there are other growing areas that would be ideal? Would be looking around $350-$450k for a house.

I like quiet town, but at the same time, I don't like the small town feel. I like to be around people, big box stores, restaurants, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 04:07 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
-Dr. Phillips (Orlando)
-Lake Mary (Orlando Area)
-Heathrow (Orlando Area)
-Celebration (Orlando Area)
-Windermere (Orlando Area)
-Winter Park (Orlando Area)
-Wellington (West Palm Beach Area)
-Palm Beach Gardens (West Palm Beach Area)
-Boca Raton (between West Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale)
-Weston (Fort Lauderdale Area)

Old 05-26-2013, 09:04 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
I'd add Brevard county to your list, specifically the beaches, west Melbourne and viera. Brevard county has good schools and is reasonably close to Orlando while being on the water

Last edited by chopchop0; 05-26-2013 at 09:44 PM..

Old 05-26-2013, 09:40 PM

Thanks.
Curious if the Orlando area is a general consensus or bmw336xi is just familiar with the area?
I was looking into Orlando a few years ago when I was offered some work there, so I'm familiar in researching those areas. But then I also heard a lot of negative about Orlando (which I later learned is common in every area in FL). So I wondered if Orlando was lower on the lists of places to live.

I've looked into Boca Raton recently, it looks nice. But I also read some reviews that it's heavily a retiree area.

Can anyone give an opinion on the Tampa area compared to the rest of Orlando? It's hard to get an opinion from those that live there because there are going to be some that love it, and some that hate it, but not many that can actually compare to other areas.

Thanks.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie88 View Post
Thanks.
Curious if the Orlando area is a general consensus or bmw336xi is just familiar with the area?
I was looking into Orlando a few years ago when I was offered some work there, so I'm familiar in researching those areas. But then I also heard a lot of negative about Orlando (which I later learned is common in every area in FL). So I wondered if Orlando was lower on the lists of places to live.

I've looked into Boca Raton recently, it looks nice. But I also read some reviews that it's heavily a retiree area.

Can anyone give an opinion on the Tampa area compared to the rest of Orlando? It's hard to get an opinion from those that live there because there are going to be some that love it, and some that hate it, but not many that can actually compare to other areas.

Thanks.
I lived in Orlando (still own the house), Boca Raton and Daytona Beach. Orlando has been growing a lot for awhile now, so there are a lot of family orientated communities. Orlando is quite large, so the good areas are good and the bad areas are bad. If you live in the good areas, it's rare to come across crime. I always left my garage door open all day and doors unlocked. Boca Raton has two universities, so it is definitely not a retiree town. It's mostly upper-middle class families that want a safe environment to raise their kids. It's a really great area with beautiful beaches and tree lined streets. This pretty much goes for Weston, Wellington, Palm Beach Gardens too.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:14 PM

Thanks. I have been to Orlando a few times, visiting my friend, rather than tourist, and I've always had a good time. But also heard some negative stuff, so made me consider other areas.
Boca Raton from what I've looked at, looks really nice as well.
Haven't checked the other areas out.

Any opinions on Tampa or surrounding area?
Thanks.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I have been to Orlando a few times, visiting my friend, rather than tourist, and I've always had a good time. But also heard some negative stuff, so made me consider other areas.
Boca Raton from what I've looked at, looks really nice as well.
Haven't checked the other areas out.

Any opinions on Tampa or surrounding area?
Thanks.
I don't like Tampa, it truly is the arm pit of Florida lol. Clearwater and St. Pete are nice, but not that great for families in my opinion.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:36 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,935,547 times
Suggest the Lakewood Ranch area south of Tampa...

Old 05-27-2013, 05:07 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
I'd prefer a younger city, that's growing and safe as well.
Was looking at Palm Harbor north of St Pete, but wondering if there are other growing areas that would be ideal? Would be looking around $350-$450k for a house.

I like quiet town, but at the same time, I don't like the small town feel. I like to be around people, big box stores, restaurants, etc.
Palm Harbor is an excellent choice with top-rated schools and in a beautiful, well kept up area that's safe for miles around versus Orlando where you can be half a mile from a seedy area in your 350K-450K house. Orlando's crime rate is also among the highest in the nation. Palm Harbor has a lot of nice restaurants and shops nearby, plus easy access to Tampa for work/social life if need be. Palm Harbor doesn't have the mindless sprawl of Central Florida either being in a planned area and life near the coast is a plus in terms of recreation. I personally find the people in that area (I have a friend I visit in Safety Harbor often) much friendlier than what I encounter here in the Orlando area. My friend suggests that it's probably due to origin of transplants as the Tampa Bay area seems to attract more Midwestern residents versus Orlando which seems to get more Northeasterners and a fair amount of South Floridians who don't embrace racial diversity.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:43 PM

Thanks a lot. Appreciate the input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida