Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 09:46 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times

Advertisements

Some posters here know my thinking about Florida (I LOVE it, even Miami) and one of the things I appreciate the most in my day-to-day, is the nice roads.
When I lived in NY (New Rochelle) and worked in the city, taking the Bruckner and the Hutch every single day, my car ended up spending a lot of time at the shop.

Traffic here IS bad. Some days it is excruciatingly bad but in NYC, it was ALWAYS excruciatingly bad.

Last edited by vpcats; 08-03-2007 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 10:44 AM

541 posts, read 1,995,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nytoflorida View Post
I have a hard time understanding most of the posts that speak of crime, high cost of living, overcrowding, unclean areas etc. I don't know where some of you people have come from, but coming from NYC, Florida is like a paradise. I was in Orlando and Daytona about a month ago, and thought both were clean, beautiful, not very crowded, and generally looked like nice places to live.
I am from NY city (Queens) and DH is from north of Boston MA. We like aspects of Florida (weather in the winter, plants and flowers in the winter, the beaches when they are clean, lots to do) but it is no paradise.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:48 AM

541 posts, read 1,995,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nytoflorida View Post
Now granted, I didn't visit all areas of each city, and every city has its bad neighborhoods, but in general, they were pleasant. And I know that Florida jobs don't pay well, but it all balances out for the most part. Take me for instance, I make double in NY what someone with my job makes in Florida, however, my expenses are much higher comparatively. So if I moved there I would be making a lot less, but my expenses would be considerably less, even with what you consider "high taxes." Houses I've been pricing are in the $2,000-$3,000 range in yearly taxes, and compare that with the $8,000-$9,000 that my parents pay on Long Island. And we're certainly middle class. In fact, growing up there, my family was one of the "poorer" ones in the neighborhood. Thank goodness I rent, because I could never afford the taxes in NY.
My parents paid $3,500 in taxes in NYC they pay over $7,000 here in Oceola (Central), Florida. Their insurance is also much higher. Our friends from CA (LA area) say it is much more expensive for them here (other than housing.) Friends from NY, CT and MA all agree-more expensive here in Orlando and the pay scale is $20,000-$30,000 less a year for professional positions.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:41 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,586,960 times
I'm glad I'm not the only one who is feeling the pinch of higher taxes/insurance, and I wish that the people who run this state would stop and listen to what the people are telling them, something has to give and so far all I see is people lossing their homes or packing up and leaving their homes behind (for sale). The mass exodus has begun, reminds me of Moses
leading his people across the desert......people will go to NC or TN, GA to get some relief and those who can afford to stay, well, I wish them well, because my pocketbook is gettting pretty thin and I know that by 2009 when Citizens
unfreezes their rates, watch out, but hopefully I will be long gone.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:15 AM

25 posts, read 108,851 times
Thanks for the responses, I'm glad to know that Floridians appreciate the nice roads.

And thanks luvthatmouse for shedding some light on the tax/insurance problem. I guess depending upon where you live, at the end of the day it might be more expensive to live down there, considering that the pay scale is not very good.

When researching jobs, I was honestly shocked to find that ones comparable to mine here in NYC were paying half what I make now. I knew it would be less, but I didn't expect by that much.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:58 AM

19 posts, read 87,651 times
We're right behind ya! Can't leave soon enough!!!!!!!! House on the market for 10 months, not one showing...I was born and raised in FL...FL was at time, long ago, a cheap place to live. Those days are gone forever. We will be moving to TN just as soon as are house sells. Anyone out there that needs to buy a house with acreage, we have one just for you.

Best of luck.
Journey1

Old 08-15-2007, 09:11 AM

Location: Chesterfield in Beautiful Massachusetts, New England
76 posts, read 174,066 times
Default Agree

Yes Floriduh has just been steadily going downhill. For my last 12 years here I have watched it go down the crapper, so we are moving back to New England. I'll deal with the weather, at least Christmas will feel like Christmas...

Cost of living is rediculous here now, it used to be cheap to live here.... Sayanora Floriduh!!!

Old 08-15-2007, 09:17 AM

54 posts, read 161,545 times
We have been in a state that we never really liked for 26 years. In the best part of the state in many ways (north central), but everyone in the southern part is moving here for that reason. It is hot, humid and yucky most of the year. We stayed here to raise our kids because hubby's parents were here and other family. Now we wish we hadn't. Leave the door open, we are right behind you soon.........

Old 10-02-2007, 10:12 AM

3 posts, read 7,454 times
Okay, I want to address those of you looking to move to the DFW area. That is the Dallas/Fort Worth area. If you like crowds and overpopulation then please by all means move here. We are not as bad as NYC mind you; however, there have been more than 300,000 people relocate here in the past five years. Unfortunately, for us who were born here, that is not such a great thing.

It's not that we don't want new people to come in and settle here, it is just that there are so many each year. The natives are starting to say that eventually DFW will be nothing more than one big highway. It is hard to tell where one city stops and another one begins as it is. There are several cities mind you in the DFW area and they all have their problems.

For example, if you move to Dallas, stay away from 635 and the tollway in your morning or afternoon commute. Also try and not buy any real estate in the South Dallas area, just trust me on that. Arlington is nice because it is right in between; however, it is out growing itself. It tried to buy-out Mansfield, city just to Arlington's south, because it was in need of more room for growth. Also stay away from the mid-cities, Euless, Bedford and Hurst, these areas are old and expensive and Euless, well we call it Useless.

Also if you are going to try and live in the Garland, east of Dallas are, it has high priced real estate. See what people are not looking at is this area is extremely popular, except with me because I have been here for over 30 years and want out. So the more popular it becomes the more expensive it will get. It is already getting ridiculous on the housing prices and the grocery prices, forget it.

Oh one more thing, don't move to Arlington unless you like the Dallas Cowboys alot. The city has increased sales taxes to pay for the precious stadium for the Cowboys. Also traffic is bad when it is baseball season on 360 and I-30, just wait until we host the Superbowl in 2011. It will seem like NYC then.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:26 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Olddaddy, so sorry about the situation. Just know that you're not alone and many people have been forced out and others, like myself, will not be moving there. It's obvious it's becoming a state only for the wealthy or those willing to work a few jobs just in order to survive. Best of luck to you and your family. Where are you moving to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida